Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I liked Thor 3 and 2, I didn’t however like the first one... It’s purpose was too introduce the character into the MCU, which was the right thing to do, but the film itself was crap.
    Iron man 3 and Avengers: Age of Ultron were awful imo and I wasn’t particularly fussed on Civil War either.

The DCEU at least tries to stay true to their characters. It doesn't matter if you like it or not, they actually do a effort and even if they fail, it came from a good place.
    Nobody could possibly say that about Batman vs Superman's Lex Luthor and keep a straight face.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heavunion View Post
    The DCEU at least tries to stay true to their characters. It doesn't matter if you like it or not, they actually do a effort and even if they fail, it came from a good place. Ragnarok ? There wasn't a ounce of respect to the character of the comics. Hulk was probably one of his best adaptation but Thor ? That was insulting
    Jimmy Olsen was shot in the head in BvS after about a minute screen time. Are you honestly arguing that the DCEU treats their characters with respect?

On the DCEU, I think they receive more critism and hate because of the MCU. In a world without the MCU the movies that DC has put out probably would have been seen as better films. I personally like MOS, BVS, and JL, (WW does not need defending) would I have done things differently? Of course, but I don’t think they are as bad as most people make them out to be. That’s just me!
    I will say they failed to stand up against the majority of the strong and well done MCU films.

It’s also a similar case for the Thor films and even the Iron Man sequels. They are fine, but nothing special and fail to stand up against the rest of the MCU because of the quality that Marvel has been putting out.
    Heck most of my favorite MCU films are considered their “mediocre” films as I love the hell out of Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and Spider-Man Homecoming.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 03-07-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Jimmy Olsen was shot in the head in BvS after about a minute screen time. Are you honestly arguing that the DCEU treats their characters with respect?
    That was a crap moment, but hasn’t it been said somewhere since that it wasn’t actually Jimmy but an agent there in the guise of being the photographer?

I haven't seen Thor 3 yet, but so far, the only MCU film I haven't liked at all is Thor 2. Slightly better than that was Man of Steel, which is the only DCEU film I didn't like (though JLA was a huge mess, it held my interest).

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually thought Age of Ultron was one of the better MCU films - and Avengers Assemble was one of the worse ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Agreed. Thor 2 is easily the biggest turd to ever come out of the MCU (unless you want to count Iron Fist and Inhumans).
    Iron Fist had issues, but was still enjoyable. Defenders was much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    On the DCEU, I think they receive more critism and hate because of the MCU. In a world without the MCU the movies that DC has put out probably would have been seen as better films. I personally like MOS, BVS, and JL, (WW does not need defending) would I have done things differently? Of course, but I don’t think they are as bad as most people make them out to be. That’s just me!
    I will say they failed to stand up against the majority of the strong and well done MCU films.

It’s also a similar case for the Thor films and even the Iron Man sequels. They are fine, but nothing special and fail to stand up against the rest of the MCU because of the quality that Marvel has been putting out.
    Heck most of my favorite MCU films are considered their “mediocre” films as I love the hell out of Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and Spider-Man Homecoming.
    I agree with what you say about the DC not being as bad as a lot of people make out.... Though Suicide Squad is a truly awful film, the worst of any DCEU or MCU film.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    That was a crap moment, but hasn’t it been said somewhere since that it wasn’t actually Jimmy but an agent there in the guise of being the photographer?
    And yet the director specifically identified him as Jimmy Olsen. The same director that had Pa Kent urge Clark to let the bus full of kids die, Superman break necks, and Batman gunning down criminals. There are dozens of threads that complain about how the DCEU treats the characters. If you want to complain about the MCU, perhaps you should use a better comparison.
    Last edited by Rincewind; 03-07-2018 at 06:18 AM.

I agree with what you say about the DC not being as bad as a lot of people make out.... Though Suicide Squad is a truly awful film, the worst of any DCEU or MCU film.
    Agreed on that film, I still haven’t seen it and have zero desire to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Iron Fist had issues, but was still enjoyable. Defenders was much worse.
    I don’t get the hate for The Defenders, it was flipping awesome! Iron Fist was weak but as you said still enjoyable.

I guess I’m learning a lot about my taste in things in this thread lol!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Nobody could possibly say that about Batman vs Superman's Lex Luthor and keep a straight face.
    As I have pointed out in the past, though, DCEU Lex is still closer to Luthor in the comics than the comical Donnerverse version.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

BTW, the director's exact reasoning was:“We just did it as this little aside because we had been tracking where we thought the movies were gonna go, and we don’t have room for Jimmy Olsen in our big pantheon of characters, but we can have fun with him, right?”

http://ew.com/article/2016/03/25/bat...n-jimmy-olsen/

Jimmy was killed off because the director thought it would be fun. Is this your idea of respect for the characters? Is the MCU really worse than this?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Thor is a boring character and any attempt to make a movie true to Thor is going to be boring.
    I've barely ever read any of Odinson's comics (hence my lack of problems with Ragnarok apparently) but I'm somewhat inclined to agree based on the little I have read(While I didn't find the first Thor movie boring, it wasn't thanks to the character of Thor). Now a JaneThor movie, there's real potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Iron Man 3 was the worse they built up an interesting enemy for Iron Man and they swap him for someone subpar.
    Again, maybe it's because I haven't read many of Tony's comics (although in this case I am far more familiar with the lore and famous stories) but I didn't mind the twist at all. Yes, it definitely loses adaptation points for what they did, but for what the film was going for thematically, I felt it really worked.

Then again, I also think Iron Man: Armored Adventures was a bloody fantastic show that should have gone on for years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    And while some may disagree with me on this Spider-Man: Homecoming that made even non-comic readers cringe due to how unfaithful it was to the source material it was like they wanted to adapt Miles Morales not Peter Parker.
    Homecoming wasn't my favorite Spider-Man movie (That remains Amazing) but it was still better than the others, save "2".

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    And BvS is the best superhero movie out there,
    I will truthfully never understand this view. Opinions I know, but I'm generally able to understand why someone feels the way they do about a work.

Seriously, Thor making a joke out of Surtur in the beginning already had me do a facepalm
    I think you should pick up some recent issues of Squirrel Girl.

The DCEU at least tries to stay true to their characters. It doesn't matter if you like it or not, they actually do a effort and even if they fail, it came from a good place.
    Um...no? Not at all?

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    My favorites are the Guardians movies, Winter Solider, Civil War and Black Panther.

Though Suicide Squad is a truly awful film, the worst of any DCEU or MCU film.
    On a purely technical level, you're correct. However, for the sheer fact that I got any enjoyment out of the film, I put it above Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Thor 2.
    Last edited by Assam; 03-07-2018 at 06:52 AM.

I haven't seen Thor 2 and 3 yet. And i enjoyed the first Thor. Is Thor 3 worse then BvS? I think audiences and critics have answered. Regardless of anyone's subjective opinion people in general loved it. And BvS was seen as so terrible that audiences did not return to its sequel Justice League. It has cast a huge shadow which each subsequent film in DCEU has tried to move away from.

But i don't think one can give Thor 3 as the example for each MCU film. I find MCU films to be entertaining and balanced in tone. Whether its Ant Man or Winter Soldier, they are making entertaining and critically successful films. Thor films weren't working so well. So, they tried something different. Instead of going to drama lets try more comedic like Guardians which had worked for Guardians. This kind of film is not their usual film. Neither is it going to be for DCEU. Wonder Woman and Black Panther have become the more 'sexier' success stories.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-07-2018 at 06:59 AM.