Default Rumors. Did rian johnson scrap jj abrams episode viii script?

http://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-e...-rian-johnson/

Poor JJ, he always gets ripped on for not having a plan and the one time he does try to plan things out....

This is the part that stands out for me "[BLike Ridley says, Lucasfilm emphasized the filmmakers first. While keeping things in canon was important, each film was a product of their separate directors.[/B]" After watching TLJ I think Disney would be better letting Filoni run the show as opposed to Kennedy.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-06-2018 at 07:43 PM.

If this were true i prefer it this way. I don't want 'safe' films all the time. Take risks. Let the film makers leave their own footprint. That kind of freedom can lead to some really good stuff.

I think we already are getting some really good stuff. I have enjoyed all the three recent films. TLJ the most. I don't have any complaints. Except be a bit better in getting the right director. Two films had big re-shoots. Rogue One and the upcoming Solo. First one turned out to be really good. Fingers crossed for Solo.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-07-2018 at 12:38 AM.

BANNED

Oh noes, poor JJ....

Come on... first drafts get discarded all the time, especially if the guy who wrote it didn't want to make the movie anyway.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    http://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-e...-rian-johnson/

Poor JJ, he always gets ripped on for not having a plan and the one time he does try to plan things out....

This is the part that stands out for me "[BLike Ridley says, Lucasfilm emphasized the filmmakers first. While keeping things in canon was important, each film was a product of their separate directors.[/B]" After watching TLJ I think Disney would be better letting Filoni run the show as opposed to Kennedy.
    Yeah lets hope not. I understand the villains can't beat the heroes but I don't want horrifically incompetent villains that I would get from Filoni. We would never get anything like the Praetorian guard fight ever.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Yeah, the OT in particular had first drafts that often were radically different than what we got. Although some think that Leigh Brackett contributed a lot to ESB, her plot was mainly different, although some concepts such as a snow planet and Lando/Cloud City did show up in later versions.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Yeah lets hope not. I understand the villains can't beat the heroes but I don't want horrifically incompetent villains that I would get from Filoni. We would never get anything like the Praetorian guard fight ever.
    Funny how you said incompetent villains and skipped right to the Praetorian guard as an example of competent villains while skipping over Kylo,Phasma and Snoke

iMan 42s

If Filoni was doing it we would get three guys holding Rey in the air while stormtroopers run in to miss every shot while Rey still can use force powers. I don’t trust him on the villains.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member

Vader, Thrawn, and the Emperor were excellent and intimidating in Rebels.

Its not a rumor, of course it was discarded. It would have been discarded had Abrams directed VIII himself. Because it was a first draft. No first draft makes it, ever. Even Johnson's own first draft was not the draft used in the completed film.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-07-2018 at 04:33 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If Filoni was doing it we would get three guys holding Rey in the air while stormtroopers run in to miss every shot while Rey still can use force powers. I don’t trust him on the villains.
    We have never really see what Filoni can do when he is not hamstrung by having to make sure the animated shows stay kid friendly. He did slip in a few things like an Inquistitor cutting off two officers heads or Kannan and Ezra cutting down stormtroppers. He put one of the all time great Vader fights on screen with the Vader vs Ahsoka fight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    We have never really see what Filoni can do when he is not hamstrung by having to make sure the animated shows stay kid friendly. He did slip in a few things like an Inquistitor cutting off two officers heads or Kannan and Ezra cutting down stormtroppers. He put one of the all time great Vader fights on screen with the Vader vs Ahsoka fight.
    I really do not understand the accusation of Filoni somehow having weak villains.

But if somebody would like to explain, please do not use examples from Rebels season 4 (which I have not seen a single episode from). There's 9 other seasons to pick from.

I don’t trust him on the villains.
    The show was on DisneyXD. Besides, it's not like Kylo and Phasma are good villains. Thrawn, The Inquisitors and Rukh were great villains.

Extraordinary Member

Rebels used escalation with the villains. Season 1's villains were jokes until the Inquisitor. Then when he was beaten Vader was brought in, and all of a sudden the Ghost crew had to deal with an enemy who was both stringer and smarter than them, and in the season 2 premiere Vader kept defeating them and outsmarting them, to the point where he decimated an entire fleet with just his Tie. For the rest of the season Vader sent 2 Inquisitors after them instead of the 1 Kanan defeated in season 1, and combined they were too much for everyone but Ahsoka. Season's 3 and 4 replaced Vader with Thrawn, who again outsmarted the rebels at every turn and only lost due to deus ex machinas. And season 4 even ended with spoilers:
    The Emperor
    end of spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its not a rumor, of course it was discarded. It would have been discarded had Abrams directed VIII himself. Because it was a first draft. No first draft makes it, ever. Even Johnson's own first draft was not the draft used in the completed film.
    A first draft couldn't have been worst than the mess we ended up getting though.