Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but I don't see the sense in that.

Insignificant now but she has a lot of potential if they finally started to utilize her well. Especially with Wonder Woman being a much more major property now.
    I agree - look at how popular the character has gotten from the Titans TV Show. There was talk of a Wonder Girl spin-off. Heck, there was talk of a Wonder Girl spin off from the 70's TV series when she was played by Debra Winger. Winger didn't want to get typecast and ultimately turned down the project. Wonder Girl and in particular, Donna Troy, has had such bad luck in both TV and in the comics. In the 1960's she was part of the Teen Titans cartoon on the Superman/Aquaman hour but, licensing kept the character from appearing on subsequent cartoons including Teen Titans and Young Justice. 70's live action, her name was changed from Donna to Drusilla because, producers felt Donna sounded too close to Diana and would confuse viewers. But if you notice the star pattern of her costume was patterned after Donna Troy's Wonder Girl red outfit. Do we even have to mention the comics after the Wonder Woman post-Crisis reboot and Wonder Girl struggling for an identity when her ties to Wonder Woman were cut off due to a continuity glitch.

Personally, I think the character could benefit from a decent code-name and let go of "Trioa" which has a negative connotation in Spanish and Italian. Stop the constant revisits to her origin and do some actual character development.
    Last edited by donnafan; 04-07-2020 at 01:41 PM.

They definitely should've rebooted either both Wonder Woman and Teen Titans or neither of them. Rebooting WW and not TT took out not only Donna's backstory, but Lilith's too - and worse, both origin stories were fairly recent. That's what started Donna's whole continuity mess. Costume inspired by the US flag, really? Then why does her first costume have a golden eagle on it? Never made sense (whereas being based on Wonder Woman's costume did, since she wore the eagle too). If it was inspired by the flag, you'd expect something more like what Stargirl wears (which looks similar to Captain America).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-07-2020 at 04:34 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    Personally, I think the character could benefit from a decent code-name and let go of "Trioa" which has a negative connotation in Spanish and Italian. Stop the constant revisits to her origin and do some actual character development.
    I've always been partial something like Titania.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    I've always been partial something like Titania.
    Makes me think of the Fae.

Actually, I think I would love to see the Titans combat the Sheeda from Seven Soldiers and Queen of Fables from JLA.
    That's the kind of stuff I'd expect from the adult team.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They definitely should've rebooted either both Wonder Woman and Teen Titans or neither of them. Rebooting WW and not TT took out not only Donna's backstory, but Lilith's too - and worse, both origin stories were fairly recent. That's what started Donna's whole continuity mess. Costume inspired by the US flag, really? Then why does her first costume have a golden eagle on it? Never made sense (whereas being based on Wonder Woman's costume did, since she wore the eagle too). If it was inspired by the flag, you'd expect something more like what Stargirl wears (which looks similar to Captain America).
    They should have made the opening acts of Post-Crisis WW be set in the past, then it would all work and they wouldn't need to mess with Donna's backstory so much.

Astonishing Member

Donna's doesn't really need a new codename, her name is cool enough. Instead maybe they should give her a civilian identity, Drusilla Tory.

I liked Troia.
    She just didn't very much get exposure outside Titans as Troia, though.

Btw, I remember when reading Crux from Crossgen, the lead character (Capricia, I think?) reminded me a lot of Donna.
    Or at least how I envisioned that she could be if given the potential.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I've officially gotten to the point that I'm fine with Donna just being Donna Troy. She doesn't need a codename, and she's iconic enough without one. When you have a name that's powerful enough to say things like "I'm Donna Troy, bitch" and it doesn't sound corny you're onto something.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I re-watched the first episode of (the original) Dallas last night, and I was struck by how similar Lucy was to Terra.
    She seems like a slightly less psychotic version of her.
    I loved Dallas - one of my all-time favorite tv shows.

And now that you mention it, there are definitely similarities to Terra and Lucy. Bad ol' teenaged Lucy having relations up in the hayloft with gray-headed uncle Ray. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I loved Dallas - one of my all-time favorite tv shows.

And now that you mention it, there are definitely similarities to Terra and Lucy. Bad ol' teenaged Lucy having relations up in the hayloft with gray-headed uncle Ray. LOL
    Couple of interesting facts about Terra: She was always intended to be a villain and she was introduced as a response to the introduction of X-Men's Kitty Pryde. At the time, the X-Men rivaled NTT in popularity. There were constant comparisons between the two books. When Kitty was introduced, Marv and George decided to introduce a cute, teenager of their own, knowing she was going to be a villain. They played upon the fact that people were going to compare Terra and Kitty. When the reveal happened, fans were very invested in the character. Some refused to believe she was a villain and Marv and George even received death threats. Crazy, huh?

I think that's some of the reason the NTT was so successful: Marv and George played upon what was current, were self-aware and played upon stereotypes, like the cute, blonde-haired, blue eyed girl. It's just so well thought out and plotted, which is why the Wolfman/Perez NTT era has become so iconic for so many fans.

Astonishing Member

Couple of interesting facts about Terra: She was always intended to be a villain and she was introduced as a response to the introduction of X-Men's Kitty Pryde. At the time, the X-Men rivaled NTT in popularity. There were constant comparisons between the two books. When Kitty was introduced, Marv and George decided to introduce a cute, teenager of their own, knowing she was going to be a villain. They played upon the fact that people were going to compare Terra and Kitty. When the reveal happened, fans were very invested in the character. Some refused to believe she was a villain and Marv and George even received death threats. Crazy, huh?

I think that's some of the reason the NTT was so successful: Marv and George played upon what was current, were self-aware and played upon stereotypes, like the cute, blonde-haired, blue eyed girl. It's just so well thought out and plotted, which is why the Wolfman/Perez NTT era has become so iconic for so many fans.
    The problem was never Terra being a villain, it was Wolfman trying to justify Slade after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I've officially gotten to the point that I'm fine with Donna just being Donna Troy. She doesn't need a codename, and she's iconic enough without one. When you have a name that's powerful enough to say things like "I'm Donna Troy, bitch" and it doesn't sound corny you're onto something.
    Agreed. Using her civillian name is actually one of her more consistent character traits.
    And she doesn't have many consistent elements, so they shoud definitely keep it.
    I see her as a down-to-Earth Wonder Woman. Not having a superhero identity makes a lot of sense in that context. She's way more approachable than Diana because she is deep down just a regular girl.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The problem was never Terra being a villain, it was Wolfman trying to justify Slade after the fact.
    I love how Wolfman was like screw it lets troll em lol. But I agree there's nothing wrong with her being villainous but what weirds me out is the insistence on Terra just being "plain evil" and the refusal on the part of the writers to even consider the psychological trauma that she clearly went through as an explanation of her behaviour...the way that she was basically blamed for coming onto Slade is so gross to me. I wish I had the exact quote on me but I'm sure most people here know it, where Wolfman basically said he wanted Terra to be seen by readers as a "slut"... like jeez man she was 14. If anything though her behind-the-scenes backstory is so fascinating to me and endears me more to the character, in a meta sense

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I love how Wolfman was like screw it lets troll em lol. But I agree there's nothing wrong with her being villainous but what weirds me out is the insistence on Terra just being "plain evil" and the refusal on the part of the writers to even consider the psychological trauma that she clearly went through as an explanation of her behaviour...the way that she was basically blamed for coming onto Slade is so gross to me. I wish I had the exact quote on me but I'm sure most people here know it, where Wolfman basically said he wanted Terra to be seen by readers as a "slut"... like jeez man she was 14. If anything though her behind-the-scenes backstory is so fascinating to me and endears me more to the character, in a meta sense
    I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I'd take Terra getting a push as an antihero over Harley's current push.

Incredible Member

So I recently had a discussion with some one over the current status of the Titans, and they thought Garth Tempest was mia/dead from Drowned Earth where he was last saw plummeting from very high altitude into poison water. I pointed out He was in HiC after that getting drunk with Donna and we couldn't agree on which order they happened in. Anybody got any proof the HIC appearance happened after Drowned Earth or that he otherwise survived that? Because it would really suck if they meant to kill him off like that nobody seems to have reacted or cared.