Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Saw the movie last night and I'm still shook by that masterpiece of an experience.

How in the @#$#@ am I supposed to wait 10 months for the conclusion?!

Spectacular Member

Great film, Miles is the heart and soul of these films. Without him they would not be good. Can't wait to see Miles full arc as the lead of all 3 films.

Astonishing Member

Really enjoyable movie and great follow up to the first. The early middle part felt a bit sluggish though.

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspidey View Post
    seems I'm very much in the minority based on this thread
    I'm sure I'll like it a lot more once the next one finishes the story
    Nothing wrong with having differing opinions or thinking it could have been improved/better.

I saw it last night in IMAX and I was floored. I loved the first one, but this one is a much better film in my opinion. That reveal in the third act was insane. I can't wait to see how part the next film pans out. Miles has got his work cut out for him.
    Mutant and Proud!

Just came from watching the film man it was good. Visually appealing to look at. Miles was great. spoilers:
    I need 2099 to get a major beatdown next film though dude is a dick
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Jman27; 06-02-2023 at 02:54 PM.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

just got home. What a good film. spoilers:
    I can't even be mad they threw my boy Miguel under the villain bus for the whole film lol. Though if he doesn't get a character reformation in Beyond I'm calling shenanigans
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

I just got back home from it and I have thoughts.

I will preface this that I don't liek the Spider-verse concept, part of what makes a character special in uniqueness, I just don't like that part of it. That being said, in general, I have a good but mixed feelings about it. The parts I liked I REALLY liked, but there are big sections that I was just eh on. We'll go a non-spoiler and a spoiler section.

- Gwen's solo part of the movie is probably my favorite part of the whole thing. It's familiar yet different, has a great action scene, a moody atmosphere, and it really lets her shine in a way the first movie kinda didn't. It reminds me yet again the Spider-Gwen is the most wasted potential in the comicverse.
    - A little more surprisingly I loved Miles' solo part as well? Comic Miles bores me, I gave him 30 issues and he just wasn't ever properly defined for me. But Movie Miles is clearly defined. i know what he wants (friends and family, companionship, freedom) and I know what he likes (art, dimensional travel, Gwen) and he just works here. This is another thing I don't love about the Spider-verse concept. I would have watched a whole movie about either Gwen or this Miles ((and obviosly Peter but that hardly needs to be said).
    - As a Miguel fan while I understood why I don't love the role they have him playing here.
    - I did not like Hobie for most of the movie until he did the thing near the end.
    - I wish Peter got more time in the movie. His parts were kinda perfect. Mayday is totes adorable, of course. I still don't know why he's wearing a bathrobe.
    - Sometimes I loved the art style. Sometimes I didn't like it. I did kind of enjoy the clashing art styles, however.
    - Despite being over two hours the movie moves and uses all of its time quite well. It absolutely earns every minute.
    - I don't love this part 1 part 2 nonsense that we're getting recently in the movies. I saw Fast X a couple weeks ago and it does the same thing. Movies, by their nature, should b e complete story. That doesn't mean they can't lead to other movies, but this is half of a very long movie, and I don't love that.
    - Somehow my positive feelings for this movie just make me more angry at the comics. But not because of MJ, which was surprising to me. It was actually the Miles and Gwen parts that made me mad at the comics, because they were obviously very good and the comic is obviously very not good and has only been good for like 5 of the last fifteen years, and a coupel of those have an asterisk. Get your **** together Marvel.

SPOILER SECTION:

spoilers:

- The wedding is shown pretty prominently as a canon event. Something that MUST occur. End the madness Marvel. It's been long enough.
    - I like that a "captain dying" is ASM-90...named after of course, Amazing Spider-Man #90 when George Stacy dies.
    - I tend to prefer my Spider-Man serious with a side of quips, so Spider-Man India was a little much, but overall I also kind of loved it.
    - Peter's last scene is fantastic. The way Mayday both wakes him up pointing at the portal and then pulls her mask down because she's coming too is hilarious.
    - Peter didn't fight Miles, so techniically he did NOT bring Mayday to a fight. Until the end.
    - I really appreciate how they go into the Peter stuff in Gwen's reality. "Best Friend" indeed.
    - I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't push the Miles x Gwen stuff hard. I had a whole speech prepared about how it's bad for everyone involved, but really it was just used as a sort of allusion to the idea of canon events.
    - Spot is handled as good as he could possibly be. He's treated like a joke at first but his powerset really is impressive. Just really well handled.
    - The Earth-42 twist was very good. Like I even noticed they were sending him there instead of 1610, but I didn't catch it as a twist because I just wasn't sure they didn't change the earth number.
    - Also the "miles wasn't supposed to be Spider-Man" twist was also good. It's actually a little surprising they didn't go into it a bit more about how 90% of them were Peter or Peter equivalent but then a few are other people.
    - Ben Reilly is in fact done dirty again. Not his year.
    -I'm going to get hate for this but I didn't love the whole Spider-HQ scene in general. It's weird that Miles can outrun all of them. Gwen and Peter are clearly not trying, but even so, put some respect on Miguel's name. Not to mention the thousand other Peter Parkers in that base. I think it would have been better if Gwen wasn't lying and it really was a small group. Would make it easier to buy. If it was just like ten of them and half of them didn't have their heart in it him escaping works better.
    - Miles seemed really into the Avatar Spider-girl. But this is...also not great for him. Just noticed.
    - Looks like Noir and the others from the first movie are going to be more involved n the third, that's good.
    end of spoilers

Overall I did really enjoy it and think it was very well made. It's flaws were mostly in concept that they've sort of committed to, and honestly the concept also allows some great funny moments, so it's kind of a wash. I'd give it four stars out of five.

think the bathrobe is just a callback to his hobo look from the first movie

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    think the bathrobe is just a callback to his hobo look from the first movie
    Probably, but it's still weird, maybe we'll get a moment in three where he throws it off and gets serious for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Probably, but it's still weird, maybe we'll get a moment in three where he throws it off and gets serious for a moment.
    spoilers:
    It was off during the Spider-Man 2099 flashback. But I hope he does get a serious moment in the next film dude joke around too much in this film. Wish he helped Miles more too
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Any chances the Spider-Man from the 90s animated series made a reference or something. His quest for Mary Jane would be suitable here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    spoilers:
    It was off during the Spider-Man 2099 flashback. But I hope he does get a serious moment in the next film dude joke around too much in this film. Wish he helped Miles more too
    end of spoilers
    I also hope we get more elaboration about that scene.

spoilers:
    Like from the rest of the scene it feels like him in that universe is just him galivanting around on his own, when and why was Peter there? seems important to never mention it.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Any chances the Spider-Man from the 90s animated series made a reference or something. His quest for Mary Jane would be suitable here.
    spoilers:
    No sign of him. Spectacular is there. You're right though that's a perfect thing for one of these movies. Maybe that's what they were teasing about holding some big ones back?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I don't even remember if he was there

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    spoilers:
    - I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't push the Miles x Gwen stuff hard. I had a whole speech prepared about how it's bad for everyone involved, but really it was just used as a sort of allusion to the idea of canon events.
    - Miles seemed really into the Avatar Spider-girl. But this is...also not great for him. Just noticed.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    They definitely spent a good chunk of the movie building the romantic tension between Miles and Gwen. But they're clearly going for a slow burn relationship that'll pay off in the finale as opposed to coupling them off early on. And the two actually have genuinely good chemistry here so I think it works.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 06-02-2023 at 08:12 PM.