Page 8 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218581085081008 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

First they were looking at Lady Gaga, then Blake Lively, Vanessa Kirby and Jodie Comer and now a be-racial actress... All this tells us is that none of these rumors know what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Not that huge, really. Deviantart is a festering cesspool of sexism; Power Girl gets staggering 310,000 hits, blowing even Wonder Woman out of the water (she's at 150,000, about the same as Harley Quinn). And half of Poison Ivy's AO3 presences are in stories where she's together with Harley Quinn. Compared to Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy's small fish. One could possibly argue that a lot of Poison Ivy's popularity today comes from her connection with Harley Quinn.
    To be more specific, BTAS made Poison Ivy more popular. She was associated with Harley early on in her very first media adaptation (about 25-26 years ago now). Before that, she was used very sparingly in comics, making it difficult to amass a huge fanbase.

I think it's more that Margot Robbie downplayed the fun aspect with Harley Quinn. Her Harley is more bad AND sexy, not sexy because she is bad, as was the case for Poison Ivy and Catwoman when they were created.
    I think the "fun" aspect of Catwoman and Poison Ivy were played up when they were first introduced as well. Selina's got the infamous "Papa spank!" line in her debut story and Ivy was created during the height of 60's camp.

On the other hand, that Harley Quinn was at an entirely different stage of her development: she was clearly dependant on the Joker and his "approval" at all times. Poison Ivy isn't scenery-chewing as much as trying to play the big sister and build up Harley's personality and self-esteem again.
    Paul Dini claims he thought of Harley and Ivy to give Ivy a friend instead of the other way around. I guess he saw how popular the pairing it became though and how he could use it to leverage his own created character, which is why he had Ivy take more of a backseat in consecutive H+I appearances.

I think that's mostly due to the way that Harley and Poison Ivy are in a relationship. Now, is it possible that Margot Robbie doesn't want to play a woman in a lesbian relationship? No idea, but merely asking the question doesn't look good for her.
    Maybe she'd agree if she got a script that was awards worthy. Which I doubt would come from original Gotham City Sirens helmer David Ayer but I digress.

Modern Poison Ivy definitely is a femme fatale, she goes back to one of the oldest one in the book: Circe. But a lot of people associate the term femme fatale with the noir movement and mystery novels nowadays, and that's where Catwoman originated. But as far as I understand it, Poison Ivy started out a lot closer to that model as well.
    She came from real life "poison girl" assassins from Ancient India, women who were fed only on poisons until they were immune to them but toxic to other people.

Arrowverse has like 3 Black Canaries
    That by itself has done more damage to the character than casting a mixed actress. Dinah isn't even supposed to be blonde but of course that's not widely known by most fans

If they recast Harley with a latina or asian actress for example I wouldn't care because her character is so strong that it transcends appearance. Any good performance should be able to capture the essence of the character.
    Someone like BC doesn't have that though(limited number of comics and association with GA hurt) so I can get the ambivalence. Still everything needs to be given a chance otherwise you look like the people on the internet shaming a black woman for playing a orange alien

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Arrowverse has like 3 Black Canaries
    That by itself has done more damage to the character than casting a mixed actress. Dinah isn't even supposed to be blonde but of course that's not widely known by most fans

If they recast Harley with a latina or asian actress for example I wouldn't care because her character is so strong that it transcends appearance. Any good performance should be able to capture the essence of the character.
    Someone like BC doesn't have that though(limited number of comics and association with GA hurt) so I can get the ambivalence. Still everything needs to be given a chance otherwise you look like the people on the internet shaming a black woman for playing a orange alien
    I think Arrowverses misshandling of her has done a part in me losing some of my interest in getting to know more about BC besides the basics I already had. Oh the ugly irony when they finally had the chance for a proper E2 BC and fell flat on their faces again...

And that BS the actors/actresses get is disgusting. They are the least to blame for the producers failures. In your example the actress is (probably) doing her job as good as she can; its not her fault her Starfire looks like a car accident from the inside; thats on clueless costume design and cheapskate producers. I have seen good SF cosplays of black woman and with some studio backing it should be impossible to f that up as big as it did. We had a green Hulk in the 70ys ffs so it cant be a problem to get the color right decades later unless they are totally incompetent. Double sad here considering that the actresses face IMO is perfectly suited to portray Starfire (well, 80ys to Infinite Crisis portrayal Starfire that is); and that is really rare.

... hmpf... got riled up again. Sry.

Yeah, Anna Diop is a beautiful woman, the vast majority of the people who dislike Titans' Starfire have a problem with the character looking like crap, not the ethnicity of the actress playing her. The Injustice 2 version looks like Zendaya and I don't see anyone complaining. It's a shame that the small vocal racially-motivated minority of idiots are the only type of "critics" who ever get any acknowledgment by the media. They always lump in every fan who's critical of a character's bad makeover with them.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-12-2018 at 06:06 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

"Birds of Prey and Gotham City Sirens were originally competing scripts but it now sounds like GCS is getting a page one rewrite to be a soft sequel to BoP"

https://twitter.com/TheComixKid/stat...16196205834240

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    These reports about them looking for an actress with singing capabilities makes me think they are taking their cue from her New 52 solo. So maybe that BDSM themed costume?
    I wouldn't be surprised if they adapt her comic look and justify it as a stage costume, though spinning it as a BDSM-themed suit just gives me unwelcome Laurel flashbacks .
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I have no real problems with a mixed-race Black Canary. Besides, a non-white Black Canary doesn't mean she can't be blonde. I mean, she wasn't even a natural blonde in the comics until the New 52 retconned her to be one as far as I recall, so what's to stop them from putting movie Black Canary in a wig or dye-job if a non-white actress gets the part? :P
    I think she was meant to be a natural blonde late into Post-Crisis, but that might have also been when she started dyeing it full time.
    At the end of the day, I'd want to have an actress who does the character justice and doesn't look like the comics, rather than a character who looks like the comics but doesn't do the character justice.
    Ideally I think we should have both, but I understand why in this day and age the former should be more prioritized then the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah, Anna Diop is a beautiful woman, the vast majority of the people who dislike Titans' Starfire have a problem with the character looking like crap, not the ethnicity of the actress playing her. The Injustice 2 version looks like Zendaya and I don't see anyone complaining. It's a shame that the small vocal racially-motivated minority of idiots are the only type of "critics" who ever get any acknowledgment by the media. They always lump in every fan who's critical of a character's bad makeover with them.
    It still boggles my mind that with all the flack they got over Starfire's civilian outfit that they haven't just released her actual in-costume look by this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    "Birds of Prey and Gotham City Sirens were originally competing scripts but it now sounds like GCS is getting a page one rewrite to be a soft sequel to BoP"

So Harley starts with the Birds until she ends up with the team she's supposed to be on...okay.

Yay more Harley Quinn.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Yay more Harley Quinn.
    WB wants to build the Harley Quinn Extended Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So Harley starts with the Birds until she ends up with the team she's supposed to be on...okay.
    Don't forget she started out in Suicide Squad. At this rate, she'll be in JL2 as well

Not sure why they are trying so hard to make the continuity between films make sense.
    She could easily be in suicide squad 2 by getting locked up at the end of BOP and then get broken out again and that leads into GCS
    Its not hard to tie these films together with little connecting pieces. All these rewrites to work in Harley Quinn is not needed

Although I am excited that there is movement to set up multiple movies going forward

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Don't forget she started out in Suicide Squad. At this rate, she'll be in JL2 as well
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I think my main annoyance stems from the fact they are cutting out Barbara Gordon from the team she founded to service Harley's character, and apparently they are even going to do a Sirens movie anyway? Like **** that. Just let Harley do her Sirens movie, SS2, and the Harley and Joker movie possibly and let BoP be what it is supposed to be instead of another vehicle for Harley to be on screen.

It all just annoys the hell out of me, but I'm done bitching about it at this point. It all feels so messy and pointless.

Incredible Member

Default Aquaman vs Shazam: Who'd "Win"

From an "MMA" reaction:

With all the HQ hype... lets make a truthful movie adaption of the Harley Quinn & Powergirl Teamup!

Attached Images Attached Images