Page 48 of 613 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148548 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Wonder if JMS started a pattern of Spider-Man writters writing bad Superman stories
    Should we expect Dan Slott coming at DC to write Superman in the foreseeable future?

BANNED

Nothing to do with Bendis
    But,I liked sacreds idea to rotate through the different suits,sure keep the red trunk classic as his main suit,but use the others sometimes to give him a "everything is in" feeling,and make fanboys happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Should we expect Dan Slott coming at DC to write Superman in the foreseeable future?
    Yeah, but only after Bendis leaves his mark of writing Superman for a long time, then Slott comes in to DC to try to break that record, then after years of writing Supes he gives up from it, then moves on to some other character which DC tried to make the flagship character and failed

And now I just imagined "Superior Superman" with Brainiac doing mind swapping goodness lol.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Wonder if JMS started a pattern of Spider-Man writters writing bad Superman stories
    Oh God, we're doomed if Slott comes over.

And JMS wrote a bad Wonder Woman story as well, so hopefully if there is a pattern it won't extend to that as well.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Yeah, but only after Bendis leaves his mark of writing Superman for a long time, then Slott comes in to DC to try to break that record, then after years of writing Supes he gives up from it, then moves on to some other character which DC tried to make the flagship character and failed

And now I just imagined "Superior Superman" with Brainiac doing mind swapping goodness lol.
    Can't wait to read about Clark running the Kent Industries.

Slott's writing doesn't necessarily bother me, I liked some stuff, disliked some stuff, but it'd only be the prospect of him taking over for a 10 year run that would scare me, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm not saying it will work (he's certainly not my first choice either), but the intention seems obvious.

For me, it's a little nice to see a sign that DC still gives enough of a crap about Superman (even just a little bit) to try something like this.
    The intention is pretty clear I'll agree. They want to elevate Superman to the status he should be at and a top tier writer IS one way to do that. However, I don't feel that Bendis is the right writer for Superman at all. He might do fine with an Action Comics run that focuses on the Clark Kent: Daily Planet reporter aspect and all that goes with it but I'm not convinced he can deal with the more cosmic nature of the rest at all. So for me DC handing Bendis the keys to Superman makes me feel the opposite from how you and the majority here seem to feel. I'd be a deal happier if he'd only been given Action.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

And JMS wrote a bad Wonder Woman story as well, so hopefully if there is a pattern it won't extend to that as well.
    Just to be sure, pay attention to any writter who previously wrote Spider-Man and who starts working on Wonder Woman

Can't wait to read about Clark running the Kent Industries.
    I'll only be okay with that if he makes a "Martha foundation", which is co-founded by Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Slott's writing doesn't necessarily bother me, I liked some stuff, disliked some stuff, but it'd only be the prospect of him taking over for a 10 year run that would scare me, lol.
    Slott's real issue is characterization, at least when writing Spider-Man, but it's probably a problem in anything else as well, he basicaly wants to tell a story, and if he has to sacrifice characterization to write it, so be it, it's why Superior Spider-Man lasted for as long as it did considering that other times someone tries to impersonate Spidey or Peter (Specialy Peter), then the supporting cast can usualy sniff them out pretty fast, but when Superior happened most characters didn't notice the very blatant changes, didn't help that Slott seems to like Doc Ock almost as much as Frank Miller likes Batman...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    The intention is pretty clear I'll agree. They want to elevate Superman to the status he should be at and a top tier writer IS one way to do that. However, I don't feel that Bendis is the right writer for Superman at all. He might do fine with an Action Comics run that focuses on the Clark Kent: Daily Planet reporter aspect and all that goes with it but I'm not convinced he can deal with the more cosmic nature of the rest at all. So for me DC handing Bendis the keys to Superman makes me feel the opposite from how you and the majority here seem to feel. I'd be a deal happier if he'd only been given Action.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'm worried about this as well. I just think the books need some forward momentum again, and I'm willing to see where this goes.

Hickman would have been my first choice though. Too bad nothing came of those rumors.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm worried about this as well. I just think the books need some forward momentum again, and I'm willing to see where this goes.
    I'm willing to see what everyone here thinks after an arc or so but to spend money on a writer I know I ordinarily don't care for is not something I'm willing to do right now. I've done that far to many times in the past and there is a limit to what books I can buy.

Hickman would have been my first choice though. Too bad nothing came of those rumors.
    Yeah, its really to bad nothing came of that. I would have have given Hickman a chance. Bendis just makes it a hard pass for me. I suppose the bright side to this is I can give at least two other books a try since I'm not planning to keep up with Action and Superman once Bendis comes on.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I'm willing to see what everyone here thinks after an arc or so but to spend money on a writer I know I ordinarily don't care for is not something I'm willing to do right now.
    At least if you buy Action Comics#1000 (which I'm planning to do for Jurgens) you'll see a bit of what Bendis would be doing. (And that's as far as I'll commit to for him at this point!)

I'm not saying it will work (he's certainly not my first choice either), but the intention seems obvious.

For me, it's a little nice to see a sign that DC still gives enough of a crap about Superman (even just a little bit) to try something like this.
    You know, I actually start to get worried when DC starts acting like they still care.

That's when they start throwing high profile writers on the book who shouldn't be there (like Johns). Those writers end up failing the character, and DC pulls out once the damage has been done.

I'd feel far more confident if DC just gave Superman a solid, decent writer who isn't a big name and forgot about the franchise entirely. Let that person build the character up and develop the world (which has been sorely lacking since the end of the triangle era). Every time they try to "fix" the Man of Tomorrow, they screw him up worse.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I wouldn't say doomed if Slott came over. He's shown a knack for adjusting the scale to the type of story he wants to tell, digs in deep, and can write for a really long time. I personally don't like how Spider-Man blew up into spectacle after spectacle, but I don't imagine that's all he knows.

Hickman was actually worst case scenario for me, because I think his best works have his worst tendencies. I think he just tries way too hard and misses the comic book for the epic.

Bendis is in the same wheelhouse as them, but he's said just about everything right so far and I feel more optimistic than I did when he was in the rumor stage.

After mentioning that I wished he had an Instagram on another thread, Ivan Reis now has an Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/ivanreisart

Expect teases for Superman or his Man of Steel issue to go up at some point.

Mighty Member

I think DC would be pretty happy if Superman becomes their most consistently top selling title for the next decade or so.

I also don't think the fact that Bendis' Iron Man was outsold by Amazing Spider-Man means much. That run introduced Riri, which I think will provide huge long term value to the company.