Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default Injustice 2 introduces a second Superman (SPOILER)

I see this is being discussed in the Conner thread already, but this seems worthy of note in its own right. After being freed from the Phantom Zone (and having his heart - ruptured by Superman just before his imprisonment - replaced with a deceased Zod's) Conner Kent is ready to get back out into the world, but before he goes, Jonathan and Martha Kent believe he needs the S back so that people can begin to trust it again. But rather than returning to the t-shirt, they present him with another costume:

(It's noted that this is one of Clark's originals; we've seen before in this series that he wore the classic suit prior to putting on the New 52-ish armor.)

Is this a death sentence for him so everything lines up neatly with the events of the second game? Or will he wind up off-planet/depowered/etc. to explain his absence? Or is he just Superman II now, accepting that the comics and games are two different streams at this point given events in Injustice 2 directly contradict the comics portrayal of events at certain points?
    Buh-bye

I'd say you treat the game and comic as two totally separate entities.

If things line up, great. If not, it's just a story *based off* the game, so it doesn't need to get your continuity sense tingling.

Besides, those games aren't going to limit themselves to the continuity someone else wrote, that only a fraction of their players are even aware of.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

#saveinjusticekon

I hope he lives and can go forward as the Superman that still inspires ppl and gives hope.

BTW there was a superboy annual that had Clark die from kryptonite poisoning during a alien invasion,and Kon went on to be Superman,to keep hope alive.

I have to say: I find the idea of Kon becoming Superman in this context much, much more interesting than him becoming Superman could ever be in the 'regular' DCU. There, he (as far as I know, given he was born with an understanding of the role and therefore didn't have much of a chance to be thunderstruck by it) basically looks at 'Superman' as his dad/brother/uncle/whatever's job that he may or may not have to take up someday - either he'd be ready by the time he got it and that would pretty much be that, or it'd be a bummer he'd be going through out of obligation, giving us another mopey Superman. It would be the end of his journey one way or another, rather than a step leading to new things. Here though, he's not only inheriting the role from a man who he's now going to be having tremendously conflicted feelings on, but he basically has to single-handedly redefine what it means in a world that now associates Superman with tyranny, decades before he ever expected to have to take up the cape. That's a genuinely really interesting premise for him as Superman II that keeps what works with his character in the conflict between who he is and the weight of what he's 'destined' to be; the only problem is that it, y'know, requires Superman I to become a bad guy.
    Buh-bye

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I know those Injustice books sell like gangbusters, but are they any good? The whole premise of the Injustice universe is such a turn off, but this is an interesting development I look forward to the video games completely ignoring in favor of a kewl new Superman who tears people's arms off and beats them to death with them so Batman can kick his ass with his Anti-Kryptonian repellent gun

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I know those Injustice books sell like gangbusters, but are they any good? The whole premise of the Injustice universe is such a turn off, but this is an interesting development I look forward to the video games completely ignoring in favor of a kewl new Superman who tears people's arms off and beats them to death with them so Batman can kick his ass with his Anti-Kryptonian repellent gun
    I checked the first couple years worth out of the library, and Tom Taylor manages to make a lot more out of what he's given than you'd ever expect - he doesn't quite crush that coal into diamond, but there're some really good moments along the way.
    Buh-bye

Superman only does that to bad people or People who attack him. It's like asking how to stay alive around Riddick or Kratos. You leave them the hell alone and stay out of their way. Hell the classic villains in the universe have done WAY worse than ANYTHING Superman ever did but since he was a hero his misdeeds count more somehow. Kon's probably going to Die taking down Amazo who's been murdering out whole TOWNS at Ras' Al Ghul's say so. Just Saying when faced with that kinda evil is Superman really that bad?.
    Last edited by Lokimaru; 02-07-2018 at 01:34 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Superman only does that to bad people or People who attack him. It's like asking how to stay alive around Riddick or Kratos. You leave them the hell alone and stay out of their way. Hell the classic villains in the universe have done WAY worse than ANYTHING Superman ever did but since he was a hero his misdeeds count more somehow. Kon's probably going to Die taking down Amazo who's been murdering out whole TOWNS at Ras' Al Ghul's say so. Just Saying when faced with that kinda evil is Superman really that bad?.
    I dunno, I don't base my perception of Superman's heroism in comparison to the evil he's facing. I base it upon his sense of decency and restraint in the face of that evil. It's what makes Superman what he is. I think the idea of an alternate Superman who has fallen from grace and become the very thing he once fought against is a potentially interesting one, but the games have thus far not done anything compelling with it (at least in regards to Superman and Batman).

There's a lot of great stuff in those Injustice games, but they are, for better or worse, a DCU-skin of Mortal Kombat, which is often at odds with the kind of DCU I enjoy. However, different strokes for different folks...

BANNED

Doesn't the latest solicits say something to the effect of Kon and the Titans do something blah blah blah? So maybe they will keep Kon around for a lil while longer.im not under any idea that they won't kill him at some point though,this is the Injustice universe,and Kon isn't in the game.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

As long as you keep in mind it's an alternate universe, they can be enjoyable. You have to come into it knowing Superman is the bad guy though and work within that context. I get that's not everybody's thing. The first series has a great ending with a good Superman coming over from a universe where the Joker never killed Lois and acts like Superman is supposed to act. The fight lasts all of five minutes but everyone admits he's what Superman is supposed to be.

I really do hope they keep Kon alive. It would be nice for that universe to get a good Superman after everything they've been through.
    Assassinate Putin!

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The games not mentioning characters doesn't mean contradiction but can leave open interpretation for the comics.

BANNED

I think having kon as Superman in this universe has good story potential,I mean he is a half human,younger guy,with zods heart,and might even have TTK(if they were smart).he is not just a generic replacement.he is around Kara's age and they could have a interesting relationship that could be adversarial at the same time as being on the same side.

Kon of this universe was created when Superman was supposedly dead by a "good" lex(atleast at the time),so that also changes things.

Can you see Kon interacting with batman,wonder woman,or black Adam?

I dunno, I don't base my perception of Superman's heroism in comparison to the evil he's facing. I base it upon his sense of decency and restraint in the face of that evil. It's what makes Superman what he is. I think the idea of an alternate Superman who has fallen from grace and become the very thing he once fought against is a potentially interesting one, but the games have thus far not done anything compelling with it (at least in regards to Superman and Batman).

There's a lot of great stuff in those Injustice games, but they are, for better or worse, a DCU-skin of Mortal Kombat, which is often at odds with the kind of DCU I enjoy. However, different strokes for different folks...
    Well the games and comic are primarily from Batman's sides Point of View so it's awfully biased.

BANNED

This Kon hasn't even shown any other powers besides flight, strength,and durability,which is weird,there is like a 1 in 100 percent chance he has his original TTK powerset,which would be cool as hell,but I doubt big time.

Conner Kent bring hope to the world....and don't die

It's weird seeing a plain, simple panel of a Superman in the classic suit after seeing all the crazy Mortal Kombat-inspired suit designs in the games.