Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    This.

I’m far from anti Spencer and I’m fully anti Slott, but I agree with what you are saying. For someone to say that the reason for the hate is that OMD hasnt been resolved yet is simplifying the problem. Yes that’s definitely one of the issues bothering some of us, but the main problem is just how much this story has dragged on without any concrete answers. You could remove the Covid situation that put everything on pause for months and it would still feel too long.

There’s just to constant dance of “I have answers but wait for next issue” going on and frankly it’s just run it’s course now.
    It's funny because when Spencer was writing Captain America, everyone wanted him removed from the books and plenty were sending death threats. I read the series and I enjoyed it because I knew that there was no way on hell Marvel would ever allow that reveal to stick - especially with how popular the movies were at the time. So my thought was "this was last so why the hate and why should i be mad?"

My issue with the Kindred reveal is that long arcs such as this almost always fall flat. Some people here are pissed off that Kindred is pre OMD Peter. Some are pissed off that it's Harry. Some are pissed off for whatever other reason. I am pissed off that i am dropping 4 dollars (plus tax) on a comic that I can read in 5 minutes and still think "okay so what are the answers?" And I lived through several long running mastermind stories such as the 90's clone saga and the fake Green Goblin from 1998/1999 that was a "genetic construct" that amounted to nothing. Again, i couldn't care less about OMD anymore just explain Harry's situation over the last 10 ears without dragging it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i barely see Spencer praise but you are correct about Dan Slott so ultimately the only good thing about spiderman comics is the past not the present?
    Maybe not in this particular thread, but in previous threads there are at least 2 users who call him GodSpencer or some embarrassing crap like that.

i barely see Spencer praise but you are correct about Dan Slott so ultimately the only good thing about spiderman comics is the past not the present?
    Pretty much. Or rather, not with 616 Peter. It feels like there's been good Spider-Man stories not relegated to current Peter. Examples like "Life Story", Miles' series, both Playstation games, ITSV...if you don't count the main ongoing series, this era of Spider-Man is on point.

But the last truly great era where all the series and multimedia was solid was ten years ago, with JMS on ASM, Jenkins on Spectacular/PPSM, Bendis/Bagley on USM, the Raimi movies, the animated shows, the games...that era is pretty hard to beat.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Pretty much. Or rather, not with 616 Peter. It feels like there's been good Spider-Man stories not relegated to current Peter. Examples like "Life Story", Miles' series, both Playstation games, ITSV...if you don't count the main ongoing series, this era of Spider-Man is on point.

But the last truly great era where all the series and multimedia was solid was ten years ago, with JMS on ASM, Jenkins on Spectacular/PPSM, Bendis/Bagley on USM, the Raimi movies, the animated shows, the games...that era is pretty hard to beat.
    I find it funny how many people said that they didn't read Slott's run yet believe that they had the right to criticize it.

His run until Superior was great, except for The Gauntlet/Grim Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Maybe not in this particular thread, but in previous threads there are at least 2 users who call him GodSpencer or some embarrassing crap like that.
    huh thats rare cause i remember when he was first announced to be the new writer people were mad cause he wrote secret empire which I thought was interesting for Captain Americas character. But the moment issue 1 ended with Peter kissing Mj they gave him praise so ultimately it doesnt matter who the writer is no one is going to be happy. Like earlier this week a manga that I follow is getting its original creator to come back and write the story from now on but you would think fans would be appreciate of it No many are saying he will ruin the development of the characters when it was he who created them in the first place. you cant please everyone so why even try?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I find it funny how many people said that they didn't read Slott's run yet believe that they had the right to criticize it.

His run until Superior was great, except for The Gauntlet/Grim Hunt.
    Um, excuse you. I read the entirety of Slott's run, so you can turn that 'tude away.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    What also pisses me off is had Slott written this issue, everyone and their mother would be complaining that Slott sucks and he would receive death threats. But for whatever reason people here still go on with that weirdness that Spencer is "god" or whatever and that adds to annoyance level of having to read these issues.
    Spencer's run has had ups and downs. And while this issue is a little weak, he can still make up in the next two.

I have criticized some of Spencer's run before...The entire 2099 arc for instance was a low point, and I've had doubts about other stuff he did.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I'm happy with issue #53, and happy/interested to see where it goes, as it goes there..I hated Slott, for a lot of stuff he did, but, I can go with his favourite cheeky retort when criticised.."just read stuff" ! My main feeling on the reveal in #53 is "what?/how?".. let's see how it plays out yet..

Cheers

Jon

huh thats rare cause i remember when he was first announced to be the new writer people were mad cause he wrote secret empire which I thought was interesting for Captain Americas character. But the moment issue 1 ended with Peter kissing Mj they gave him praise so ultimately it doesnt matter who the writer is no one is going to be happy. Like earlier this week a manga that I follow is getting its original creator to come back and write the story from now on but you would think fans would be appreciate of it No many are saying he will ruin the development of the characters when it was he who created them in the first place. you cant please everyone so why even try?
    Pleasing everyone is never going to happen but it’s the goal of every creator. Obviously it’s something they will never achieve but it’s what they should always strive for. I’ve actually enjoyed “last remains” as a whole but there are some definite issues with the story that can’t just be ignored. The Kindred story is hampered by the same issues that Spencer has had in his entire run. Just a bit too much filler. The past two issues for example could have easily been condensed into one.....

So no...you can please everyone but you can give people their money’s worth as far as actually content/story go. That’s not happening right now with all this constant tap dancing around any answers for this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Spencer's run has had ups and downs. And while this issue is a little weak, he can still make up in the next two.

I have criticized some of Spencer's run before...The entire 2099 arc for instance was a low point, and I've had doubts about other stuff he did.
    Agreed. I like Spencer and what he’s done with his run as a whole. I’ve had my issues with it for sure. However, there’s still enough time for Spencer to finish this off well....Can’t deny that I do have my doubts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Agreed. I like Spencer and what he’s done with his run as a whole. I’ve had my issues with it for sure. However, there’s still enough time for Spencer to finish this off well....Can’t deny that I do have my doubts though.
    I think Spencer is definitely comparable to Tom King on "Batman" for me. Great ideas, even better than how he executes them compared to King, but my goodness both love their decompression. Thankfully, with Spencer, he assured people that it's going somewhere, and I trust that it will. But yeah: two extensive runs that are, at least for now, redefining these characters in new/old ways, for better or worse.

Both have their faults, but I ultimately enjoy/enjoyed both.

It’s disappointing that this issue didn’t really do much except continue to wink and nudge about OMD. I don’t see this arc as ending in undoing OMD, I see it as hopefully Peter becoming aware of OMD happening. I liked the reference to JMD Harry Green Goblin but did we really need to devote an entire issue to setting up that punchline. I can’t help but compare how Ewing did something similar over in IH today, and he managed to pack it with far more action than Spencer did. I guess we hope that next issue finally answers the “what does Kindred want” and “how did Harry become this” questions?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s disappointing that this issue didn’t really do much except continue to wink and nudge about OMD. I don’t see this arc as ending in undoing OMD, I see it as hopefully Peter becoming aware of OMD happening. I liked the reference to JMD Harry Green Goblin but did we really need to devote an entire issue to setting up that punchline. I can’t help but compare how Ewing did something similar over in IH today, and he managed to pack it with far more action than Spencer did. I guess we hope that next issue finally answers the “what does Kindred want” and “how did Harry become this” questions?
    I will be very interested in the upcoming solicits but I do not see OMD going away. Do I prefer Spencer to Slott and JMS? Of course I do, but it does not mean he is Ditko, Lee, Romita, Conway and Stern either. I hope to be pleasantly surprised and see no more OMD, but my patience is wearing thin. I dropped ASM after Silk because I knew OMD/BND was not going away, and I am getting to have the same thoughts ( even though nothing Spencer has done compares to Silk, Jackpot, Alpha or BND).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol The problem is that we have that hope for some answers for a pretty long time now.

As far as your thoughts on OMD go, I agree. I don’t think “Last Remains” will undo it but rather just make Peter aware of it.....hopefully. One thing that has been on my mind lately is, if OMD is addressed which it seems like it is then the marriage has to be addressed as well. If that’s the case, then what “logical” reason is there be for Peter/MJ to not just get married again?

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    It's like I'm disappointed at the pace, but I'm very happy with the execution at the same time.

If I could think of what to change... I wouldn't, everything in the issue was perfect. I loved the revisit to end of OMD and how things were changed this time around and I loved the reveal. I mean I really can't complain about anything in the issue.

At the same time, I expected .... more? I feel the arc is crawling? I really do think this arc is for the trade. It's going to be cool in that form.
    I completely understand and agree with you.

I feel as though one of my biggest issues with Marvel's Event stories has been the pacing. The stories just seem so stretched out and then it's like the creators realize "Crap only 1-2 issues left" and then rush through everything. I'm enjoying the story overall but just wish it was paced better. I think last week worked better because we had both #52 and #52.LR come out the same day.