Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Aquaman acting more like Namor ever since losing his left hand and acting very dickish, especially I believe in a Superman issue in which he and Tempest were about to level Metropolis in which I dunno if they were going to or if they were bluffing.

Wonder Woman killing Max Lord despite what he's done.

Plastic Man after the Tower Of Babel storyline in which he constantly demonizes Batman and from there, Plas acts more and more obnoxious from there.

Nightwing and Tim Drake would act like jerks from time to time.
    Last edited by Dr. Skeleton; 03-29-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Bruce, every time he hits the kids, or just being neglectful, and all the excuses writers make to justify it. No, especially because it was done to show how far he's gone. That's cheap. Even when he's not in the right mind, that's still not a good excuse, because he's done it multiple times. He has a contingency plan for villains and Justice League but nothing when he's not in his right mind? Even though it happened multiple times?

Ultimate Member

I can't think of one story in particular where it all turned around, but sometimes the evolution of a character can change my view of them.

When I was a kid, I was a big fan of Brainiac 5, because in a genre where one was 'super' because they could fly or lift a car over their heads, he was a super-hero *because he was smart.* Being smart could be a super-power! But sometime after Vril Dox was introduced, Brainy himself sort of got reimagined into a curmudgeonly sort, increasingly short-tempered, condescending or even manipulative to everyone around him, where they had previously been his actual friends, and they'd even played jokes together, and he'd had fairly normal relationships (with Supergirl, in particular). I really did not like the notion that 'really smart' automatically meant 'total jerk with zero ability to related to other people,' and as late as Legion of Three Worlds, he was still being written as an irascible 'House' type character, which disappointed me.

I can't take the 'genius' cred of anyone who isn't smart enough to be able to understand basic human interactions seriously, and, as a result, has to grouse and criticize and explain everything snippily multiple times because he's too darn stupid to communicate efficiently with people he's known for *years.*

Brainy's gone from one of my favorite Legionnaires to darn near my least favorite, just because he's been written so dumb, while bragging about how smart he is (and negging everyone else in the process, which just makes his own life harder!).

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Thanks to Batman and Robin #11 by Tomasi Damian Wayne is my second most disliked character in the DC universe. Before I knew about that story, Damian was actually one of my favorite batfamily members. But putting a crowbar in Jason's bed to purposely trigger Jason's trauma, blaming Jason for his own death/making fun of it (knowing that Jason was betrayed by his own mother) - all because Damian wants to prove his superiority - crossed a line that I can't forgive, and I can normally forgive a lot. But victim-blaming and trauma exploitation are two things that I can't.

If a character I like act in a way that I dislike, I usually just write it off or just hope they'll apologize and act better in the future. Maybe I hope they eventually get off their high horse or something but I don't think I come off it actively disliking them in their entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Aquaman acting more like Namor ever since losing his left hand and acting very dickish, especially I believe in a Superman issue in which he and Tempest were about to level Metropolis in which I dunno if they were going to or if they were bluffing.
    Not from a comic but Aquaman acting like a dick on the DCAU Justice League show every time he showed up put me more off the character than Super Friends ever did. Came off as way too much overcompensating for people thinking Aquaman was lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Not from a comic but Aquaman acting like a dick on the DCAU Justice League show every time he showed up put me more off the character than Super Friends ever did. Came off as way too much overcompensating for people thinking Aquaman was lame.
    Yeah, exactly. To me, it was a cheap attempt to try to make Aquaman cool by making him an anti-hero. Good thing we had that movie years later.

Yeah, exactly. To me, it was a cheap attempt to try to make Aquaman cool by making him an anti-hero. Good thing we had that movie years later.
    Yes, prior to the movie Aquaman in Batman The Brave and the Bold did more to make me like Aquaman than the DCAU.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-29-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Thanks to Batman and Robin #11 by Tomasi Damian Wayne is my second most disliked character in the DC universe. Before I knew about that story, Damian was actually one of my favorite batfamily members. But putting a crowbar in Jason's bed to purposely trigger Jason's trauma, blaming Jason for his own death/making fun of it (knowing that Jason was betrayed by his own mother) - all because Damian wants to prove his superiority - crossed a line that I can't forgive, and I can normally forgive a lot. But victim-blaming and trauma exploitation are two things that I can't.
    I'm a little annoyed he 'knew Jason was betrayed by his mother?' When was that ever determined? I'm not sure Batman himself pieced that bit together. mom was blown up with him, and all evidence was rubble. As far as he knew Jason disobeyed his order while he was stopping the nuclear missle, and went after Joker and got his mother and himself killed. The fact that mom turned him over to the Joker wouldn't have had any evidence left....

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If a character I like act in a way that I dislike, I usually just write it off or just hope they'll apologize and act better in the future. Maybe I hope they eventually get off their high horse or something but I don't think I come off it actively disliking them in their entirety.
    Whereas I simply say "The Anti-Monitor farted, causing Parallax to infect Superboy-Prime who went into a fanboy hissy fit and punched the Source Wall, which in turn released Perpetua who then ordered a wizard to erase that story from my head canon"

I tend to get more pissed at the writer than the character in those cases.

I tend to blame writers more than characters but stuff like Identity Crisis and Cry For Justice made me annoyed with Deathstroke and Prometheus.

Wonder Woman killing Max Lord despite what he's done.
    You disliked Diana but not the guy who had murdered Ted Kord, mind controlled Superman and set him upon Bruce and then Diana, killed numerous Checkmate agents to take over the organization and then tried to start a war between humans and metahumans? And that's not even getting into what he did when he came back to life. Max's previous actions did not and should not have mattered to Diana who was trying to stop him from causing Worlds War 3.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Actually i think, damian trumps bruce in talent and potential. He was born into that world.
    And yet Bruce is still his clear superior in terms of age, experience and feats. Bruce also has a better track record with super teams than Damian

Jason is more resourceful and can take a beating better.
    I'd say they are about the same in terms of durability with maybe Bruce edging out.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-30-2020 at 04:21 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And yet Bruce is still his clear superior in terms of age, experience and feats. Bruce also has a better track record with super teams than Damian
    That doesn't matter. This comparison was talent and skill.

I'd say they are about the same in terms of durability with maybe Bruce edging out.
    Yeah! No, jason has to punch up and gets beat up more time. He doesn't have the resources either. It's like daredevil and batman. Daredevil can take a beating better. Bruce has tech and he doesn't have to be resourcful. He is rich. Jason lived as theif,mafia boss, then hired gun... Etc. Also, crowbar and a big boom. Jason still gets beat up by batman himself, he still gets up and walks away(with help).

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That doesn't matter. This comparison was talent and skill.
    And Bruce is clearly superior to Damian. Being born into that world doesn't mean anything. Hell, other Robins not born into that world have bested Damian.

Yeah! No, jason has to punch up and gets beat up more time.
    Bruce has punched up against the likes of Superman and Darkseid and taken beatings from the likes of them as well as Bane. Jason getting beaten up more doesn't make him better than Bruce in that regard. It just means Bruce is a better fighter.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-30-2020 at 05:27 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

And Bruce is clearly superior to Damian. Being born into that world doesn't mean anything. Hell, other Robins not born into that world have bested Damian.
    It means, hell of a lot. You start early,if you are focused and disciplined there will be unbelievable difference . Yeah! In their teens, youth and bruce is an adult. Damian is giving them trouble. That's pure talent. He was crafted to be a weapon. 20 year old damian could dwarf anything bruce can, if everything goes right.

Bruce has punched up against the likes of Superman and Darkseid and taken beatings from the likes of them as well as Bane. Jason getting beaten up more doesn't make him better than Bruce in that regard. It just means Bruce is a better fighter.
    So? those guys never actually try to beat him up(superman anyways. Darkseid things, batman is a flee most of the time) . Bane broke his back. That's brutal. But, that's still doesn't equate to beatings and torture jason endures on an average scale. That's precisely the point. Batman is a better fighter. Jason without being as much of fighter, gets up after every beating he gets. He keeps going. So, he can endure more. This wasn't about who is the better fighter.It was about who can take more beatings and still keep walking. Who can get more injured, be at deaths door and still be at piece.