Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Regarding Celine getting Walk of Fame from three different countries like USA, Canada and Poland, im surprised she hasnt been given a Walk of Fame in France. It's also possible that she can get a walk of fame in uk and Belgium too. I hooe it happens soon so Celine can hold the record for most number of walk of fames.
    Didn't France kind of disown her at the start of her career in English? they felt betrayed she was now singing in English.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    Didn't France kind of disown her at the start of her career in English? they felt betrayed she was now singing in English.

Really? I never heard that new s before. Let me check.

We don't have any walk of fame here in France. We don't do that kind of stuff.

About her career in English she used to sing in English before being huge in France for a time and I guess that no one here did mind when she sang in English the song for Titanic.

In France she was important mostly because of the album's she did with Jean-Jacques Goldman - which is really huge here. The fact that she had a career before in English helped U guess.

Anyway... Whitney is of course the most beautiful... How can it even be debatable?
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    We don't have any walk of fame here in France. We don't do that kind of stuff.

About her career in English she used to sing in English before being huge in France for a time and I guess that no one here did mind when she sang in English the song for Titanic.

In France she was important mostly because of the album's she did with Jean-Jacques Goldman - which is really huge here. The fact that she had a career before in English helped U guess.

Anyway... Whitney is of course the most beautiful... How can it even be debatable?
    It's great to get info from a poster who is from France. Thanks for replying.

As for who is more beautiful, Mariah was leading before it got closed: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...ous-1935559/#3

You're welcome RLAAMJR. It's been a pleasure - even if I must confess that I am truly not able to listen to Céline Dion : it's almost painful... I can't forget a very very warm month of July more than 20 years ago : one of my neighbours used to listen to "pour que tu m'aimes encore all day long, every day, the whole month. Windows wide open. Very loud. It was absolutely traumatic : if I wanted some air I had to hear the song once more. If I wanted the music to stop then I had to decide that suffocating was better. PTSD!!! I'm triggered by Céline Dion's voice... No kidding...

About the beauty maybe Carey was cute for a time, and it was a long time ago. Houston was a Beauty. And no poll with 8 votes could change that...

I can't resist...

http://m.ina.fr/video/I00009901

The link is to a video of the first time I saw Whitney on TV. It was saturday night. The biggest French TV show. But Serge Gainsbourg is here... He's a great composer but the way he acted was absolutely infamous... The show runner doesn't translate correctly in French what he said : "He said your are very pretty (très jolie)". It wasn't that. I Didn't understand at the time cause I didn't know much English at 12...

I let you watch but be aware that it was a kinda traumatic experience for Whitney Houston who was only 22yo...
    Last edited by Abe; 03-15-2018 at 07:49 AM.

BANNED

Really? I never heard that new s before. Let me check.
    they did. watch this video from minute 33.17. The Backlash

Her husband Rene became even more determined to make sure she succeeded as an English artist so Celine won't put up with the crap.

Her husband Rene became even more determined to make sure she succeeded as an English artist so Celine won't put up with the crap.
    The English/French issue is real. It was big for Petula Clark who had a few years singing in France in the fifties after her initial successes in Britain in the forties. In fact, Clark sought out John Lennon on this for advice and ended up in the "Give Peace a Chance" video.

they did. watch this video from minute 33.17. The Backlash

No. France has nothing to do with that. That part of the video is about the reactions in Québec.
    Last edited by Abe; 03-15-2018 at 01:54 PM.

BANNED

No. France have nothing to do with that. That part of the video is about the reactions in Québec.
    was that not the french speaking part of Canada or something? the problem was many Frenchmen regardless of where they lived felt betrayed she was now singing in English.

was that not the french speaking part of Canada or something? the problem was many Frenchmen regardless of where they lived felt betrayed she was now singing in English.
    Of course it's the french speaking side of Canada. France is a big market for the artists there many singers or comedians cone here and get adopted by us - but they still are Canadian. And in the case of Celine Dion she got big in France in the 90s. Eurovision meant nothing. Recording songs written by Goldman was the thing. I'm not even sure that we were aware of her career in the US.

French speakers are quite a minority in North America and it's a complicated history. In Quebec people "officially" try to speak pure French without mixing it with English - in fact they can do that a lot. In France we do not feel the same fears : week-end is a French words among others.

We don't even translate the name of the movies anymore.

Also since quite somectime there are French artists who try to go international singing in English since the beginning.

A decent pop song with a gorgeous brunette!

(Ok... Olivia's mother is Finnish... Which means she's a perfect girl from the suburbs of Paris)
    Last edited by Abe; 03-15-2018 at 02:38 PM.

BANNED

Of course it's the french speaking side of Canada. France is a big market for the artists there many singers or comedians cone here and get adopted by us - but they still are Canadian. And in the case of Celine Dion she got big in France in the 90s. Eurovision meant nothing. Recording songs written by Goldman was the thing. I'm not even sure that we were aware of her career in the US.

French speakers are quite a minority in North America and it's a complicated history. In Quebec people "officially" try to speak pure French without mixing it with English - in fact they can do that a lot. In France we do not feel the same fears : week-end is a French words among others.

We don't even translate the name of the movies anymore.

Also since quite somectime there are French artists who try to go international singing in English since the beginning.

A decent pop song with a gorgeous brunette!

(Ok... Olivia's mother is Finnish... Which means she's a perfect girl form the suburbs of Paris)
    Celine's voice was way too big to be tied down anyway . am glad Rene forged ahead and made her become an English artist. he was such a great smart guy. Him and celine were one of my favourite couples. he made her the person she is today. RIP Rene.

BANNED

Ask men and they would choose Mariah over Whitney

Astonishing Member

They're not music artists though.

Not really.

Celine, Madonna and Mariah are bigger than Aretha.
    Ain't no freakin' way.

BANNED

Ive heard something not so good about Quebeckers/Quebecois though.