Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I doubt that Fox would have given a damn about what Claremont thought.

But he is right. I think I can say that there were 3 excellent movies (X2, First Class, and Days of Future Past), with the rest being mediocre to bad.
    I don't disagree with his opinion now, I agree with your assessment and his now. Perhaps Fox wouldn't have cared, but Claremont rarely said anything about his misgivings until it aligned with public reactions. When he got sneak previews he was completely positive in his thoughts, only when the public soured did his tune change. As a general rule, that sort of thing doesn't sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Can someone post a link to where Claremont shits on the MCU. The NYCC panel where he said he wished fox adapted his storys better directly proceeded a conversation about how well Stan Lee's stories have been adapted. Which doesnt mean much but havent heard him **** on the MCU before and he did say he was excited to see what they do next with Xmen.

He has complained about Company politics killing the Xmen comics. Saying the MCU was responsible for Marvel tanking Xmen and F4 comics since they dont own the film rights(Clearly that all changed now but I Get why that would be upsetting.) But that's not a critique of the movie but rather just disdain for company politics

This is the part 1, funny that the part 2 where he says avengers and other marvel movies have no content and are just about costumes not about characters has been pulled off YouTube. hope the videos comes back. but this is the interview he said so that xmen works more as a serious drama in comparison to other marvel comic movies. Don't also forget, Claremont stories in 2019 would never have been adapted by Disney. Disney would have dumbed it down or passed on it.

Like I said Claremont is a though guy, he always hated lighthheated comic book stories that MCU is known for now. he hated jokes. he hated unnecessary actions , reason he made xmen a soap opera and his comic panel had many narrative boxes. he was not a big fan of marvel comics been so connected, reason he killed of all the other marvel characters in the DOFP storyline because he did not want avengers and spiderman helping the xmen. Disney Marvel in 2019 stands for everything Claremont hated in the 80s and 90s but at the same time, it was what made Claremont stories famous.

What is interesting is in the part 1 of that video, Claremont saying for years he had wanted to do a dystopian story but he had to sell the idea well to marvel comics, I ironic because one of my criticism of Endgame was that endgame should have been a dystopian movie like DOFP , which Claremont wrote and the only reason it was not was because MCU can't go that grim or serious.

Claremont is now back at marvel, so he now has to be careful on what he says. remember, it was not Lucas that outed his dislike for Disney star wars, it was Bob iger. There is no way, Claremont would like what Disney is about to turn xmen into. it will contradict his own stories.His own stories are nothing like mcu screenplays. Disney would have dumped it on Netflix.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-07-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post

This is the part 1, funny that the part 2 where he says avengers and other marvel movies have no content and are just about costumes not about characters has been pulled off YouTube. hope the videos comes back. but this is the interview he said so that xmen works more as a serious drama in comparison to other marvel comic movies. Don't also forget, Claremont stories in 2019 would never have been adapted by Disney. Disney would have dumbed it down or passed on it.

Like I said Claremont is a though guy, he always hated lighthheated comic book stories that MCU is known for now. he hated jokes. he hated unnecessary actions , reason he made xmen a soap opera and his comic panel had many narrative boxes. he was not a big fan of marvel comics been so connected, reason he killed of all the other marvel characters in the DOFP storyline because he did not want avengers and spiderman helping the xmen. Disney Marvel in 2019 stands for everything Claremont hated in the 80s and 90s but at the same time, it was what made Claremont stories famous.

What is interesting is in the part 1 of that video, Claremont saying for years he had wanted to do a dystopian story but he had to sell the idea well to marvel comics, I ironic because one of my criticism of Endgame was that endgame should have been a dystopian movie like DOFP , which Claremont wrote and the only reason it was not was because MCU can't go that grim or serious.

Claremont is now back at marvel, so he now has to be careful on what he says. remember, it was not Lucas that outed his dislike for Disney star wars, it was Bob iger. There is no way, Claremont would like what Disney is about to turn xmen into. it will contradict his own stories.His own stories are nothing like mcu screenplays. Disney would have dumped it on Netflix.
    Yea your doing alot of speaking for him.....

Claremont hated jokes and light heartedness? The dude that gave us Excalibur, X-Babies, Kitty's Fairytale, the Ladies Night/Men issues in UXM 244/245... etc etc...???
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Claremont hated jokes and light heartedness? The dude that gave us Excalibur, X-Babies, Kitty's Fairytale, the Ladies Night/Men issues in UXM 244/245... etc etc...???
    Lol hes just projecting. I wouldnt take a writer serious if they said that. Not liking excessive humor sure but Humor period is a ridiculous statment.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea your doing alot of speaking for him.....
    No I am not. funny that the part 2 was removed. where he slammed marvel or comic movies for having no substance. I think he even slammed spiderman and superman as well as basic people who fight villains. that is how hard this guy could be, I heard the stories about YouTube anagrams? when Disney was limiting any negative video about marvel on YouTube or making the search so difficult to find?hmm.

Am an xmen fan, who knows the source material from start to end. I don't need to speak for him, I have seen many interviews of him an read his stories. even in the part 1, he explains the concept of dystopian stories. let him try and sell that to Disney movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Yes, he hated light hearteness in general. if you want the proof. Look at some of his best stories.

dark phoenix
    God loves, man kills
    inferno
    DOFP
    The Brood
    The Mutant Massacre

These are some and if not the darkest xmen storylines . we would never see this stories in films again. if they do appear in films, it will be dumbed down to meaningless action driven cgi movies or worse, comedies. X-Men has light hearted moments but xmen is mostly a dark universe. That came from Claremont that later passed on to Lodbell, Morrison, Whedon, Fraton, Carey and Yost,

Interesting you mentioned x-babaies. you missed out Claremont's new mutants run that was mostly horror staring young mutants.
    What of Legion that Claremont created? FX did a great show on the character. it was very dark and very twilight zone. did you know marvel even felt legion was too dark and complicated as a character to be in the comics in the 90s but Claremont stood his ground. it was because of legion that AOA happened. Perhaps the second most famous dystopian xmen universe after DOFP.

Would Disney ever green light Noah Hawley's legion in films? Which is what xmen movies needs right now, especially after the Joker and mental illness, issues that Legion already covered heavily. If some want to talk Claremont. go ahead, let's do it by discussing his stories in full detials. You mentioned kitty's fairy tale but last I remembered, it was DOFP that made Kitty one of the most beloved and established xmen characters and what is DOFP again? a dark hopeless dystopian storyline written by Chris Claremont.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-08-2019 at 03:27 AM.

We'll see what Claremont thinks of the marvel X-Men movies when they come out. No one, including Chris himself, really knows how he will react to movies that haven't been released.

He did seem to at least imply that the MCU got Stan Lee's films right (as opposed to Fox and the X-Men films). Which doesn't necessarily mean he actually LIKED them... but there's a degree of optism in there. We'll see.

In the least, I do think he understands that marvel takes it time. I think a big part of the reason we never got a good Dark Phoenix movie is because you can't tell that story well in one (or maybe one and a half) movies That needs proper build up to have the justice it's due. Marvel can do that in ways which pretty much all their peers have been unsucessful at doing. Not to say that Marvel would do Dark Phoenix... that horse might be long beaten to death. But IF they did, it would have the proper build up. It wouldn't just be thrown out there one and done.

He would have to sign a contract like Lucas not to say anything bad about Disney xmen movies. People, especially the mcu fans here are quick to turn this into an issue that Claremont did not give a **** about fox but he loves MCU movies. That is not true. Claremont is comparing xmen movies to the source material not against MCU movies and yes xmen movies are not that good to the x-men source material.

X2, I scored a 7/10 to the masterpiece that is God, loves, man kills.

Claremont said X2 did not even do much with story. By that logic why would he now love another movie that is supposed to be based of God loves, man kills that will likely turn God love man kills to a light hearted comedy or just strip all the content away. Disney can't even adapt god loves, man kills. Fox could to a good extent. Dark Phoenix was a disaster and it is his greatest story, yes he has the right to be pissed. xmen fans are. I am.

He did seem to at least imply that the MCU got Stan Lee's films right (as opposed to Fox and the X-Men films). Which doesn't necessarily mean he actually LIKED them... but there's a degree of optism in there. We'll see.
    This is the same Claremont that said, Marvel movies are about costumes and xmen is about characters who don't need to wear costumes. I think if this was a debate about claremont choosing the even xmen movies to the even mcu movies, what would he prefer? but that is not the debate, the debate is about xmen movies vs xmen comics. if we were to go by his writing and style. MCU is not even on the topic because Claremont does not write Disney fun stories. you would have to replace MCU with the even batman films. for a real balance on both sides and ask what will he choose as an artist. xmen vs batman films.

Based on Claremont'S history, High chances he agrees with Scorsese right now. here is an example when he says xmen stories are above generic fun entertainment. So why would he like mcu that defines all of that?

two minutes into the video, he says he created some of these characters (nightcrawler) because he wanted the characters to be so depressed, and full of self loathing. and try and dig his way out of that with religion and faith. something X2 did do right with nigtcrawler.
    If you want to talk Claremont, okay. let's do it. He can't say anything bad about the MCU because he is under contract and that is fine.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-08-2019 at 06:52 AM.

He would have to sign a contract like Lucas not to say anything bad about Disney xmen movies. People, especially the mcu fans here are quick to turn this into an issue that Claremont did not give a **** about fox but he loves MCU movies. That is not true. Claremont is comparing xmen movies to the source material not against MCU movies and yes xmen movies are not that good to the x-men source material.

X2, I scored a 7/10 to the masterpiece that is God, loves, man kills.

Claremont said X2 did even do much with story. By that logic why would he now love another movie that is supposed to be based of God loves, man kills that will likely turn God love man kills to a light hearted comedy or just strip all the content away. Disney can't even adapt god loves, man kills. Fox could to a good extent. Dark Phoenix was a disaster and it is his greatest story, yes he has the right to be pissed. xmen fans are. I am.

This is the same Claremont that said, Marvel movies are about costumes and xmen is about characters who don't need to wear costumes. I think if this was a debate about claremont choosing the even xmen movies to the even mcu movies, what would he prefer? but that is not the debate, the debate is about xmen movies vs xmen comics. if we were to go by his writing and style. MCU is not even on the topic because Claremont does not write Disney fun stories. you would have top replace MCU with the even batman films. for a real balance on both sides and ask what will he choose as an artist. xmen vs batman films.

Based on Claremont'S history, High chances he agrees with Scorsese right now. here is an example when he says xmen stories are above generic fun entertainment. So why would he like mcu that defines all of that?

two minutes into the video, he says he created some of these characters (nightcrawler) because he wanted the characters to be so depressed, and full of self loathing. and try and dig his way out of that with religion and faith. something X2 did do right with nigtcrawler.
    If you want to talk Claremont, okay. let's do it. He can't say anything bad about the MCU because he is under contract and that is fine.
    I'm not saying Claremont necessarily loves MCU movies... I'm just saying Claremont is perfectly capable of speaking for himself. When the MCU movies comes out, we'll see what he has to say.

He had issues with the Fox X-Men movies, and he might with the MCU movies too. We'll find out in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm not saying Claremont necessarily loves MCU movies... I'm just saying Claremont is perfectly capable of speaking for himself. When the MCU movies comes out, we'll see what he has to say.

He had issues with the Fox X-Men movies, and he might with the MCU movies too. We'll find out in a couple years.
    Who does not have issues with fox movies? I do. they messed up a lot.

Also, what is some of the criticism of comic films today? they dont have drama or real stories, they are just vfx crap. Claremont defined comic book soap opera. Here he is talking about how messed up the Scott/Jean/Pyor triangle and that was something he wrote. would Disney touch this....his story? Ofcourse not. Because Disney would never tackle adultery , fatal attraction obsession and sex scandals in a mature way that will overrule their cgi and fun tone. But Claremont did.

This is not even about MCU, I wish some of you mcu fans would stop inserting mcu to everything marvel. X-Men is a world to its own.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-08-2019 at 07:12 AM.

Who does not have issues with fox movies? I do. they messed up a lot.

Also, what is some of the criticism of comic films today? they dont have drama or real stories, they are just vfx crap. Claremont defined comic book soap opera. Here he is talking about how messed up the Scott/Jean/Pyor triangle and that was something he wrote. would Disney touch this....his story? Ofcourse not. Because Disney would never tackle adultery , fatal attraction obsession and sex scandals in a mature way that will overrule their cgi and fun tone. But Claremont did.

This is not even about MCU, I wish some of you mcu fans would stop inserting mcu to everything marvel. X-Men is a world to its own.
    His line about wishing that Fox got the X-Men movies right was basically in response to a line of discussion about the MCU getting Stan Lee's films right. Feel free to ignore the MCU in your own responses if you want to, but don't assume every other poster will do the same when the discussion people are talking about in the first place did reference the MCU too.

As far as the X-Men being it's own world... it's a part of the greater marvel comic book universe, and now it's a part of the MCU. THat's the reality of the situation. Wishing it was otherwise doesn't make it true.
    Last edited by XPac; 11-08-2019 at 08:39 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

They've been "good enough" for the uninitiated, but I find the more I think of any of them the less I like them. Even the first two are irksome.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

According to Claremont. His ultimate x-men adaption is a 6-part mini series like game of thrones. its not even movies.

http://epicstream.com/news/NicoParun...le-Mini-Series
    Chris Claremont Hopes X-Men's Dark Phoenix Saga Gets Adapted Into a Game of Thrones-Style Mini-Series

There is some truth to this. many xmen fans have said for years that xmen would work better as a high budget tv series. the movies will never be good enough and would always seem hollow to the books. claremont confirms this truth that xmen would be better as a tv series but his standard is game of thrones. well, that sure put adultery, sex scandal and obsession stories in place and the massacres he wrote like mutant massacre and DOFP storylines.

LOL. Between disney and fox, fox had a higher chances of turning xmen into game of thrones than Disney ever would. I think if the right person came to claremoint and pitched it, it would be fine. Kinberg was not just the right person to handle his stories.

If you want more Claremont history on movies, check out when he met James Cameron to discuss an xmen movie. is not even a debate who would have made better xmen movies as a fox employee. Cameron, Singer or Kinberg. James Cameron of course.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/chris-...-men-never-was

Yeah, I am sure Disney will silence him in the future not to give his true opinions about light hearted xmen comdies movies mostly for kids. from a person that wants game of thrones xmen.

According to Claremont. His ultimate x-men adaption is a 6-part mini series like game of thrones. its not even movies.

http://epicstream.com/news/NicoParun...le-Mini-Series
    Chris Claremont Hopes X-Men's Dark Phoenix Saga Gets Adapted Into a Game of Thrones-Style Mini-Series

There is some truth to this. many xmen fans have said for years that xmen would work better as a high budget tv series. the movies will never be good enough and would always seem hollow to the books. claremont confirms this truth that xmen would be better as a tv series but his standard is game of thrones. well, that sure put adultery, sex scandal and obsession stories in place and the massacres he wrote like mutant massacre and DOFP storylines.

LOL. Between disney and fox, fox had a higher chances of turning xmen into game of thrones than Disney ever would. I think if the right person came to claremoint and pitched it, it would be fine. Kinberg was not just the right person to handle his stories.

If you want more Claremont history on movies, check out when he met James Cameron to discuss an xmen movie. is not even a debate who would have made better xmen movies as a fox employee. Cameron, Singer or Kinberg. James Cameron of course.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/chris-...-men-never-was

Yeah, I am sure Disney will silence him in the future not to give his true opinions about light hearted xmen comdies movies mostly for kids. from a person that wants game of thrones xmen.
    How marvel handles Wanda is a potentailly good indicator of how marvel could theoretically handle Dark Phoenx.Theres been a bit of build up in the previous movies, and she's getting her own show in addition to likely appearing in Dr. Strange. If Claremont is at least curious how an MCU version of Dark Phoenix might be handled, Wanda probably would be a good indicator.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

I don't think we have to wait. Claremont, ultimately, will never like another version of these characters but his own. He is definitely entitled to that with the brilliant work he did, but it also makes his opinion somewhat predetermined and less meaningful.