Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I never really emphasized with Peter Parker, married guy. I started reading when I was 12 or so, and it was the most boring aspect of the character. Even though the character's name is Spider-Man, in continuity he's never going to be older than the hyperactive, slightly manchildish, mid 20's guy - a character whose trait is kinetic hyperactivity. Settling down and worrying about mortgages? So doesn't reflect that.

And then take into account at least in comics, we're talking about a medium with a possibility for infinite stories with no "end" date, that also thrives on creating drama for it's characters. How much drama can you bring into a marriage? Oh no, Mary Jane is smoking! Oh no, Mary Jane is out all night partying! Oh no, blah blah babycakes. It got monotonous.

But the key reason to keep Parker single is because of the internet and it's penchant for breeding crazy people who love to ship fictional characters together. A world without DarthFury finding ways to put Spider-Man and Psylocke together is a word I do not want to live in~
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    I never really emphasized with Peter Parker, married guy. I started reading when I was 12 or so, and it was the most boring aspect of the character. Even though the character's name is Spider-Man, in continuity he's never going to be older than the hyperactive, slightly manchildish, mid 20's guy - a character whose trait is kinetic hyperactivity. Settling down and worrying about mortgages? So doesn't reflect that.

And then take into account at least in comics, we're talking about a medium with a possibility for infinite stories with no "end" date, that also thrives on creating drama for it's characters. How much drama can you bring into a marriage? Oh no, Mary Jane is smoking! Oh no, Mary Jane is out all night partying! Oh no, blah blah babycakes. It got monotonous.

But the key reason to keep Parker single is because of the internet and it's penchant for breeding crazy people who love to ship fictional characters together. A world without DarthFury finding ways to put Spider-Man and Psylocke together is a word I do not want to live in~
    The marriage does offer an ironic contrast with the energetic webswinging Spider-Man, although even that's not a major advantage of the marriage as you could often have that with the single Spider-Man (when things aren't going do well for the mostly anonymous Peter Parker.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Well, the exact same thing could be said of him being single. How many times can he be in a relationship with a woman and worry about telling her his secret and whether or not she'd accept him as Spider-Man. Heck, the first real relationship he had after breaking up with MJ was basically note for note exactly as people expected it to be. That's not telling new stories. That's telling the same story, over and over and over and over and over again, with the assumption that if you change out the characters that it's somehow new. But it isn't new. It's an old story, just dressed up in new clothes to make it seem likes it new. But a fresh coast of paint can't make something brand new.

And if you want to talk about increasing drama, then setting limits is a good way to go about it. Having an easy out doesn't increase drama. Having stakes to fight for, having an obstacle to overcome, to have something to risk and lose, that increases drama. "Being single" is by no means the end all be all of endless stories filled with high drama. Trust me, the number of boring, dull stories featuring unmarried character dwarfs the number of boring stories featuring married ones.

The goal should be trying to make things interesting for the main character. And trying to make things "easier" for the creative parties doesn't do that. Easier for them does not mean better for us. Are there interesting stories to be told with a single character? Yes. Are there interesting stories to be told with a married one? Yes. Creators or fans shouldn't be looking for the fix-all easy button. They should be trying their hardest to tell the best stories possible. And Spider-Man, or Superman or the Flash being single didn't automatically make all their stories 100% better, or fix all the problems in their books or their franchises. Nor did being married cause an end to their drama.

Here's a question I have: when people say that the marriage ended drama, do they mean there was no drama or the drama they got was something they were not used to? I've seen posters go on about how Peter seemed like he was 10 years older, how stressed and depressed he was, how MJ seemed like a doormat and the threats to her life became worse, etc. Then of course there's the whole death of baby May thing, which I think makes Peter the only superhero to actually lose a child permanently. I don't know if what I'm saying makes any sense ,but what I'm saying is that to some people the marriage didn't just make Peter seem older, but made the stories 'darker' in some ways.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Here's a question I have: when people say that the marriage ended drama, do they mean there was no drama or the drama they got was something they were not used to? I've seen posters go on about how Peter seemed like he was 10 years older, how stressed and depressed he was, how MJ seemed like a doormat and the threats to her life became worse, etc. Then of course there's the whole death of baby May thing, which I think makes Peter the only superhero to actually lose a child permanently. I don't know if what I'm saying makes any sense ,but what I'm saying is that to some people the marriage didn't just make Peter seem older, but made the stories 'darker' in some ways.
    In a finite book, I'd have liked the marriage. But there's no drama knowing they'll never break up. I can forgive and even embrace the wild superheroics stuff, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    In a finite book, I'd have liked the marriage. But there's no drama knowing they'll never break up. I can forgive and even embrace the wild superheroics stuff, though.
    The marriage did not stop them from breaking up in the past.

Early 90s MJ left for a little while during the I am the Spider crap.
    In 2000, her apparent "death".
    Then 2001 after her kidnapping she did not take her wedding ring back and moved to California.
    Then OMD in 2007.

If anything, having them married has made their lives more an emotional rollercoaster than not. All the marriage means is that Peter cannot go dating and sleeping around, which I really don't think the books should have in them anyway because that doesn't seem very Peter Parker to me. The Peter dating scene is so very boring too. I'd rather see the drama and emotional development between him and one lifelong partner than a shallow dating scene where one women replaces then next with basically only 2 dating scenarios played out on repeat.

BANNED

And there's no drama in knowing that Peter's relationship will never last beyond just boyfriend and girlfriend.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    The marriage did not stop them from breaking up in the past.

Early 90s MJ left for a little while during the I am the Spider crap.
    In 2000, her apparent "death".
    Then 2001 after her kidnapping she did not take her wedding ring back and moved to California.
    Then OMD in 2007.

If anything, having them married has made their lives more an emotional rollercoaster than not. All the marriage means is that Peter cannot go dating and sleeping around, which I really don't think the books should have in them anyway because that doesn't seem very Peter Parker to me. The Peter dating scene is so very boring too. I'd rather see the drama and emotional development between him and one lifelong partner than a shallow dating scene where one women replaces then next with basically only 2 dating scenarios played out on repeat.
    The marriage basically meant that neither could really move on. Yeah, you can take MJ out of the equation for a while, but she eventually pops back up.

I'm fine with Peter not "sleeping around". He can go on dates, though. Have a few relationships. Absolutely nothing wrong with a guy in his mid-twenties playing the field, so to speak. And I'm not talking about sticking it anywhere and everywhere before anyone makes it out to be some kinda approval of him slutting it up.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    And there's no drama in knowing that Peter's relationship will never last beyond just boyfriend and girlfriend.
    I'm not really worried whether or not a relationship lasts? He can date someone, they have fun, maybe a few laughs, maybe a few cries, maybe she helps him learn how to make seashell necklaces, or how to really appreciate Country music. It's the same how I am cool with the fact that Peter's greatest battle with one of his villains is the fourth or fifth greatest battle. Well, first, I don't take it that seriously. Hope to get entertained. Not writing a blog on Peter's failed relationships.

Though, I suppose it is a little important to me that characters be allowed to part ways with Peter. The serial nature of the title keeps them trapped, moreso in a marriage. After 30 or 40 years, it just starts looking bad. But like I said, were the concept finite? Sure, I'd like the marriage, good source of tension and tear-jerker moments.

Well, the exact same thing could be said of him being single. How many times can he be in a relationship with a woman and worry about telling her his secret and whether or not she'd accept him as Spider-Man.
    Not really. That would only be monotonous if each and every woman had the same personality and ergo we'd get the same story - and while I know Spidey loves his clones, we've been lucky that most of his romantic interests have had varied and unique personalities.
    Using your own example, while Mary Jane was a worrywart about Peter as Spider-Man, Black Cat was more than accommodating. And Gwen, well, she died.
    Hooray for variation!
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

The marriage basically meant that neither could really move on. Yeah, you can take MJ out of the equation for a while, but she eventually pops back up.
    This is not inherently not a negative. I have yet to see anyone explain how this is supposed to be a bad thing. They simply seem to point out that they can't, as if that is in and of itself a detriment.

I'm not really worried whether or not a relationship lasts? He can date someone, they have fun, maybe a few laughs, maybe a few cries, maybe she helps him learn how to make seashell necklaces, or how to really appreciate Country music. It's the same how I am cool with the fact that Peter's greatest battle with one of his villains is the fourth or fifth greatest battle. Well, first, I don't take it that seriously. Hope to get entertained. Not writing a blog on Peter's failed relationships.
    Then if you don't care, then why put so much emphasis on maintaining that status quo?

Though, I suppose it is a little important to me that characters be allowed to part ways with Peter. The serial nature of the title keeps them trapped, moreso in a marriage. After 30 or 40 years, it just starts looking bad. But like I said, were the concept finite? Sure, I'd like the marriage, good source of tension and tear-jerker moments.
    Again, how is this a bad thing? There are plenty of things that "trap" Peter so to speak, but are allowed. Why so much emphasis on whether or not he can break up with someone, when you freely admit it is not something you take seriously?

BANNED

Not really. That would only be monotonous if each and every woman had the same personality and ergo we'd get the same story - and while I know Spidey loves his clones, we've been lucky that most of his romantic interests have had varied and unique personalities.
    But in return, the notion that every relationship will be brand new and exciting only works if each and every female character does bring something new to the table, which isn't guaranteed.

The one person he managed to have a serious relationship with after the marriage ended was simply a character that ended up repeating the same characteristics of previous love interests.

In addition, "new personalities" does not mean "new stories," especially when they simply follow the same pattern- Peter and woman meet, they date, he worries about admitting he is Spider-Man, that causes stress, ect. The only way out of that cycle is whether or not Peter admits he is Spider-Man, which he can only do a handful of times anyway.

Using your own example, while Mary Jane was a worrywart about Peter as Spider-Man, Black Cat was more than accommodating. And Gwen, well, she died.
    Hooray for variation!
    Except the problem with that is that you are grossly oversimplifying the relationships in order to back up your narrative.

Prove that MJ was nothing but a worrywart.

Prove that Black Cat was more than accommodating, and that's all she was.

Prove that all Gwen did was die.

If you can't prove any of those aspects, then your entire premise falls apart. Which means there is a lot of variety in individual relationships, hence there is no need to have a continuing cycle of females who may or may not be interesting.

BANNED

My reasoning? He'll never stop being Spider-Man. I don't think it's entirely fair to a character who as Peter's spouse is pretty much going to be the person that worries about him all the time. She'll root for him, but there's gonna be stories where she worries also. And she can ask him nicely to let things go, but he won't ever do that. So there she is, pretty much powerless to Peter's life.
    Your reasoning? That's fine for you. But not everyone shares your values or agrees with your position. I'm talking about objective reasons that don't depend upon it being based on your personal opinion, because there's no proof that your opinion isn't simply a biased one, or that I have to accept your opinion since you're not an authority on Spider-Man, so the claim that it is your opinion holds little weight in determining the validity of the argument.

In addition, the problem with your reasoning is that it applies to every love interest. So to follow it through to it's natural conclusion, Peter should never be with anyone, ever. That sort of reason doesn't open the door for a new variety of female love interests. It closes the book on that aspect of the mythos forever.

I have my reasons for not being comfortable with a marriage that one of them can't really ever leave.
    Which is fine for you, but not for others.

If you can't articulate it in a way that makes others who don't share your opinion understand where you are coming from, it shows that this is not a problem with the material, but a problem a single individual has with the material. Thus, the material isn't bad or faulty, it's the person who has the issue.

If the marriage got reinstated tomorrow, I might still read the title, though. Just wouldn't be entirely comfortable. I'd say it's my one "thing".
    Which shows that, despite your own personal issues, that you'd still purchase the series. Which means that the marriage isn't in and of itself an issue, if you are still willing to buy.

It's a concern of mine. Just because I don't take it completely serious to the Nth Degree doesn't mean something can't bother me. I can go to a movie and be entertained, like I'd hoped to be, but maybe a fleeting scene came across as racist and it just nags at me. I'm not freaking out about it at the end of the day. I'm not boycotting anyone, or shaking my internet fist at whomever is in charge.
    But if you are willing to overlook it, it's not that big of a detriment.

By your own reasoning, the issues with the marriage has nothing to do with the quality of the material and more to do with your individual values. Which, sorry to say, is not in and of itself a detriment towards the marriage as a concept.

If it concerns you, then that is an issue you need to work to overcome. It's not an issue that the comic needs to address, simply because it has nothing to do with the quality of the material and more to do what you and others are merely bringing to the title. The baggage you bring with you is not proof that the marriage is inherently a bad idea, or leads to bad stories, or limits stories to be told. It says more about you than it does about the status quo.

It's painfully clear...Peter must stay single so he can SWING, people! Get with it. Don't be square! Think of all the soap opera angles that can be introduced. Why, I think Bambi and Candy should return (Pete's sunbathing neigbors from WAAAAY back!) After all, ol' Spidey has girl cred to keep up.

I'd read it. With the Parker luck it would be hilarious. Just sayin.'
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Fantastic Member

Reasons to keep him single:

1. Easier to keep him young.
    Yes, young people get married, but the truth is that once Peter is married in the comics its clear that he's not an early-twenties guy anymore (though the stories make this clear anyway, and have for almost twenty years. No 25 year old guy is going to be running Parker Industries). By keeping him younger, it keeps the sliding timescale a bit more viable for the future.

2. Gets him new fans

Bart Simpson never ages so every boy can 'be' him at some stage (am I showing my own age using a Simpsons reference?) It was a sad day for me when I realised I was older than Bart. The same for Spider-Man, I think. Young, nerdy guys will be drawn to him and if you pick up a new comic and see him single, dating and struggling to get by, you'll feel that instant connection. He was married when I started reading and I still became a fan, but maybe it would be easier to start connecting with the character if, like the reader, he's not married.

That's all. I can't think of too many reasons. Also, as a mid-twenties guy, I only have a few years left of being able to say that Spider-Man may be older than me.

BANNED

Your reasoning? That's fine for you. But not everyone shares your values or agrees with your position. I'm talking about objective reasons that don't depend upon it being based on your personal opinion, because there's no proof that your opinion isn't simply a biased one, or that I have to accept your opinion since you're not an authority on Spider-Man, so the claim that it is your opinion holds little weight in determining the validity of the argument.
    They don't have to. I never said they did. And heck, you don't have to accept my opinion. This isn't the Supreme Court, man. It's a Spider-Man message board.

In addition, the problem with your reasoning is that it applies to every love interest. So to follow it through to it's natural conclusion, Peter should never be with anyone, ever. That sort of reason doesn't open the door for a new variety of female love interests. It closes the book on that aspect of the mythos forever.
    Not really. He can still date, even long-term, which can be any number of years. I just think that eventually the girlfriend should want more and realistically Peter will never stop being Spider-Man. So it lets the significant other have a little more pride if they can break it off if and when it becomes too much to handle.

Which is fine for you, but not for others.
    At the end of the day, we are all pushing our opinions as to how the book would work the best to some degree or another. So telling me that that's my opinion? Yeeaaah, I already know that.

If you can't articulate it in a way that makes others who don't share your opinion understand where you are coming from, it shows that this is not a problem with the material, but a problem a single individual has with the material. Thus, the material isn't bad or faulty, it's the person who has the issue.
    If you can't understand my opinion, that's your problem. Not mine.

Which shows that, despite your own personal issues, that you'd still purchase the series. Which means that the marriage isn't in and of itself an issue, if you are still willing to buy.
    Because it's not all or nothing, yes. I don't stomp my feet when I don't get what I want in a comic book. I'll consider still reading the book, not saying I will. It's a little more adult, in my opinion.

But if you are willing to overlook it, it's not that big of a detriment.
    Oh forget it. I'm gonna stop quoting right here. Yes, I am willing to overlook it. Bring back the marriage, because clearly it's this or that. I'm done.