View Poll Results: Would you like the X-men to join the MCU?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 58.65%
  • No

55 41.35%
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Do people think Marvel would make better X-Men movies then Fox?

I have seen fair amount complaints about how Fox has handled the X-Men movies, so I have to ask, do you think Marvel would do a better job?

I'm not sure the X-Men fit the more light hearted tone of the various Marvel movies, I think if Marvel was making the X-Men movies, we may not have seen the genocide scene from Days of Future Past or the Holocaust backstory with Magneto. I also don't think Disney would have made an R rated Deadpool movie. I also think the Mutants struggle story would be hard to shoehorn into the current MCU, heck I don't it ever really jived with non X-Men comics in the 616 universe.

I think despite the movies flaws, Fox at least understands what makes X-Men works and some of the X-Men films are pretty good, unlike say Fantastic Four where Fox clearly doesn't why that works and should have sold it back Marvel back in 2007.

So I do think they are some trade offs with either Marvel or Fox making the movies, because they have different styles and different strengths and I do think there are things Marvel wouldn't want to do with the X-Men in film.

Besides people seem to complain about how Marvel handles the X-Men comics, so why do think those grievances won't translate to the films?
    Last edited by The Overlord; 04-20-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I have seen fair amount complaints about how Fox has handled the X-Men movies, so I have to ask, do you think Marvel would do a better job?

I'm not sure the X-Men fit the more light hearted tone of the various Marvel movies, I think if Marvel was making the X-Men movies, we may not have seen the genocide scene from Days of Future Past or the Holocaust back story with Magneto. I also don't Disney would have made an R rated Deadpool movie. I also think the Mutants struggle story would be hard to shoe horn into the current MCU, heck I don't it ever really jived with non X-Men comics in the 616 universe.

I despite the movies flaws, Fox at least understands what makes X-Men works and some of the X-Men films are pretty good, unlike say Fantastic Four where Fox clearly doesn't why that works and should have sold it back Marvel back in 2007.

So I do think they are some trade offs with either Marvel or Fox making the movies, because they have different styles and different strengths and I do think there are things Marvel wouldn't want to do with the X-Men in film.

Besides people seem to complain about how Marvel handles the X-Men comics, so why do think those grievances won't translate to the films?
    As far as I know the only real reasoning given in-universe as to why the general human public reacts so much worse to mutants than other "super beings" was that mutants are simlpy born that way and they represent "the next step in evolution" so it more directly threatens the importance and relevance of humankind as we know it altogether. Whereas superbeings with totally weird and ad hoc origin stories can kind of be "written off" as freak accidents with no necessity to upend the natural order quite as much. Whether or not you personally accept this fully, that I think was basically the in-universe reason given in the 60s and 70s to explain it away. I agree it's gotten way harder since then especially with Inhumans now and the radical explosion of superbeings everywhere

For your actual question about whether or not Marvel would make better films, I honestly don't even care. All I care about is the comics since I know the films will never be accurate or true to canon anyways, and only try to appeal to lower common denominator audience. TV shows on the other hand would certainly have been made by Marvel by now featuring mutants and X-themes. I would have loved some TV shows by now or animated series...

I agree with your primary complaint that Disney sucks at making mature content and is FAR too obsessed with pleasing "parents of kids". That is certainly true, Disney is waaaaay too conservative and it's really a repressive force in our culture frankly.

But again, to me the comics are what matters I would instantly sacrifice quality of movies for X-Men in comics to not be crapped on all the time like they are, if not being entirely broken up and done away with which could very well happen at any time
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

IMO, yeah. Fox has 5 great X-Men related movies, while the MCU has 3-4.

X1, X2, FC, DoFP, and DP to the MCU's IM1, Cap 2, and Avengers.

Sure, the X-Men movies aren't colorful, as silly as some fans want it to be, and some characters were done a disservice, but they do capture the essence of the core of the X-Franchise, without pandering, and the stories are tight, and well told without the universe, and character, breaking plotholes that MCU movies have.

Not to mention, there's cost, and weight, which the MCU generally lacks.

To those that say that Disney/Marvel would do good X-Men tv shows, I say that's a no as well. Their Netflix budget is low as hell, so they'd never recreate the powers in any satisfying way, let alone consistently for 10-13 eps, and we see what Agents of Shield, and Agent Carter, do on ABC (aka, not much better).

While Hellfire Club is still up in the air, we have a Legion show being developed for freaking FX. FX. Written and run by Noah Hawley, creator, and writer, of Fargo. Enough said.

In regards to F4...think that Deadpool has shown Fox that they really just gotta let the creators do what they want, while they deal with costs. They ruin the F4 movies themselves. I think that if they gave F4 to a Tim Miller, or Matthew Vaughn, or a Singer, we'd get better movies, and great Doctor Dooms. As bad as the Dooms we've got are, I'm highly confident that the MCU's Doctor Doom would be just as bad.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Let's wait for Legion to actually come out before judging it. (Everything we've heard says it will hardly connect to the canon in any way though)

But what about animated series TooFly?
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Better movies? That depends. But what I'm sure is that the characters would be better represented. In both appearance, story and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Let's wait for Legion to actually come out before judging it. (Everything we've heard says it will hardly connect to the canon in any way though)

But what about animated series TooFly?
    What about the animated series? You mean the X-Men cartoons to the other Marvel cartoons over the years? Marvel Studios did all the X-Men cartoons prior to the Disney buyout, so I don't know if we can really bring those into the discussion, but I think it's safe to say that all pre-Disney buyout cartoons are far superior to the crap they give us now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    It doesn't matter, marvel will never ever lay their hand again on X-men movies for the foreseeable future.
    ꦩꦒ꧀ꦤꦺꦠꦺꦴ ꦩꦺꦩꦁ ꦧꦼꦤꦂ

BANNED

I like Fox better, but they have a lot of issues. The finales are particularly bad. I think the end of XM1 is unwatchable because my ennui engorged fanboi eyes start to roll so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Better movies? That depends. But what I'm sure is that the characters would be better represented. In both appearance, story and personality.
    I doubt the story part, but sure, the costumes might be closer to the comics, and the X-men might be better represented (the core X-Men probably), but that that's not a given (look at Wanda, Pietro, Thor and Antman), and it's naive to assume the MCU X-Men wouldn't also be the Wolverine show.

Still, I doubt that we'd get the Magneto we have now, or that Apocalypse would be given the gravitas he's at least being given in the promotions for his movie.

They wouldn't carry the weight, nor explore the racism, to the lengths Fox has either. You think we'd get Magneto in the Holocaust? Hell no, just look at how they watered down the Red Skull.

As much as I'd still love to see the X-Men interact with the MCU, the X-Men would be neutered in the MCU. Hell, they even avoided/skipped Hank Pym; that means no commentary, or exploration, of a superhero that is a domestic abuser, or showing how Hank deals with his inferiority complex, father issues and anger issues through Ultron.

The MCU is formulaic, and super streamlined. There's a reason why their best movies are those that tackle more complex issues, but they'd never tackle the issues I've mentioned above.

In my opinion, rather complaining and goading Fox to do the impossible thing (like selling the right back to dismarvel :rolleyes) we should tell and guide Fox so they make a much better movies.
    ꦩꦒ꧀ꦤꦺꦠꦺꦴ ꦩꦺꦩꦁ ꦧꦼꦤꦂ

BANNED

If the X-Men went back to Marvel we'd only get one movie every two or three years. They'd be day-glo quipfests will all traces of poignancy and emotional weight sapped from them in exchange for zippy one-liners, and we'd never have gotten an R-Rated Deadpool, which at BEST would have been banished to Netflix where it couldn't "taint" the movie franchise.

So in two words: No. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by veriaqa View Post
    In my opinion, rather complaining and goading Fox to do the impossible thing (like selling the right back to dismarvel :rolleyes) we should tell and guide Fox so they make a much better movies.
    If Deadpool is of any indication, and seeing Singer embrace more the "comic bookiness" in Apocalypse, I think the X-Men movies are going to get much better. Especially now that Kinberg, and his guys, have been given more power over the movies. That's great for me, because I'm of the mindset that we've already got 5 really good X-Men movies.

BANNED

Considering what Miller and Vaughn did with their movies, I'd say probably not. I think Fox will do just fine with the X-Men if Singer moves on after Apocalypse.

I don't mind the X-men with Fox, I just think they could do a better job handling the franchise imo. At the moment, it wouldn't make sense for the X-men to be in the current MCU.

BANNED

I don't know it would certainly help the comic book side though. I'll say Marvel probably would make better X-men movies than Fox. I still think it would be better if the X-men were in a separate universe either way though