Here's the thing the DCEU has never had a failure all the films made money it's just until Wonder Woman they didn't make what insiders thought they would and Hollywood is like hardcore gamblers. Meaning even when they win they always look at the table and think of the money they didn't win because they bet too low in their opinion. But then came WW and it was a hit across the board it was a critical hit, the audience loved it, and it did better than originally thought it would win in every way. Because of that big win they have rightfully put more focus on WW in the Justice League campaign but now we have film promoting a strong successful female hero who in most scenes is standing next to a character played by an actor accused of terrible allegations involving women. So you possibly now have fans and general audience members who will say I'll wait for WW2 to show my support and skip Justice League. Sadly it does seem like the DCEU is cursed sometimes because they never seem to be able to catch a break.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I would not be surprised if Batman does indeed get recast sooner rather than later.

At one time Josh Brolin had been eyed for Batman before Affleck got the part. Depending on how things go, I wonder if WB may hire him even for maybe one movie or two to play the current older Bruce Wayne before using FLASHPOINT to recast a younger actor to play Batman? Brolin is likely done as Thanks after Avengers 4, so it's possible he might end up getting a call...
    They could also use a Nightwing film to have Dick Grayson to transition into Batman. I mean especially if Reeves does prequels set in the DCEU they could have a younger Bruce and introduces Dick Grayson and the future League films could have the adult Grayson as the new Batman. Just some ideas if they didn't want to do a partial reboot.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    They could also use a Nightwing film to have Dick Grayson to transition into Batman. I mean especially if Reeves does prequels set in the DCEU they could have a younger Bruce and introduces Dick Grayson and the future League films could have the adult Grayson as the new Batman. Just some ideas if they didn't want to do a partial reboot.
    I would hate this. That means we'd finally have a connected film universe without Bruce Wayne? No. I want Nightwing AND Batman. Just recast the thing with a younger Bruce Wayne whose timeline gets fused with the prime timeline in Flashpoint. Problem solved.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

(promo for Aquaman in the JL film, not his solo)

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I still think recasting Bruce is just not going to work. Retcons don't work in films like that. The mainstream audience would have a hard time swallowing a different actor in the same universe. He's not a supporting character in a disguised and easily replicable getup like Dumbledore. I hope this gets addressed by Ben quickly. Either way I honestly don't think fans are going to object to seeing the movie wholesale because of this. All the same I have fears WB will recast him. But I so want him to stay.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I don't think that is gonna happen. In the public's mind Bruce Wayne is Batman. Us comics geeks would appreciate the idea of the mantle being passed on , but the general public would get turned off. Besides, any mantle switch over had been temporary in the comics too.

The only senario I could see that working in any context is Nightwing temporarily filling in upon older Bruce's death or disappearence and then a younger Bruce being cast upon his return to take back the mantle.

If any recast takes place as fallout from Affleck's problems, it will likely be another similarly aged star like Brolin or perhaps John Hamm or someone similar at least for the short term ,then FLASHPOINT gives us a new younger Batman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I would not be surprised if Batman does indeed get recast sooner rather than later.

At one time Josh Brolin had been eyed for Batman before Affleck got the part. Depending on how things go, I wonder if WB may hire him even for maybe one movie or two to play the current older Bruce Wayne before using FLASHPOINT to recast a younger actor to play Batman? Brolin is likely done as Thanos after Avengers 4, and Cable may be a one off for Deadpool, so it's possible he might end up getting a call just in case.
    I think Fox has long-term plans for Cable past Deadpool 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Fox has long-term plans for Cable past Deadpool 2.
    And if they do recast, it needs to be a younger actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    I still think recasting Bruce is just not going to work. Retcons don't work in films like that. The mainstream audience would have a hard time swallowing a different actor in the same universe. He's not a supporting character in a disguised and easily replicable getup like Dumbledore. I hope this gets addressed by Ben quickly. Either way I honestly don't think fans are going to object to seeing the movie wholesale because of this. All the same I have fears WB will recast him. But I so want him to stay.
    There were three different actors playing Batman in the 90's and audiences were just fine.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Audiences didn't seem to mind the sudden transformation of Edward Norton to Mark Ruffalo in the MCU, though as you do point out, Banner was reduced to supporting character after his solo (which seems to have fallen out by the wayside both in its universe and public consciousness) and he's not the half of the Hulk that audiences probably are itching to see.

I am kind of curious to see how audiences would react if we get the sequence from Flashpoint where Barry gives Bruce Thomas's letter, but instead of Affleck it's the new DCEU Batman actor .

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I hope Ben Affleck gets to play Batman in a few solid Batman films, at the least.

I don't think some weirdo retcon recast would work at all. Just cast a different actor if you have to, it's as simple as that. The same Bruce Wayne, the same cast, the same storyline- just a different fella playing the part in a new film.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-12-2017 at 09:52 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I am kind of curious to see how audiences would react if we get the sequence from Flashpoint where Barry gives Bruce Thomas's letter, but instead of Affleck it's the new DCEU Batman actor .
    Probably, "Oh...this is something new/different," blissfully unaware that DC Comics readers have been seeing this stuff for decades.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    There were three different actors playing Batman in the 90's and audiences were just fine.
    It was kind of unclear if Keaton's, Kilmer's, and Clooney's Batmen were meant to be the same guy. Kilmer's and Clooney's most likely were, considering that they had the same supporting casts and there were references in BATMAN AND ROBIN (ugh) to events from BATMAN FOREVER, but it's more of a stretch tying those back to Keaton's two movies.

I don't think that is gonna happen. In the public's mind Bruce Wayne is Batman. Us comics geeks would appreciate the idea of the mantle being passed on , but the general public would get turned off.
    Maybe not. Dick Grayson is almost as well-known to the general audience as Bruce Wayne, and I think the audience might be open to the idea of the mantle being passed on to a guy who has been waiting in the wings for decades.