Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default How long will super-hero movies be hot?

As we all know, DC has been taking a beating from Marvel at the movies. But maybe super-hero movies won't be a big deal for much longer.

How long do you think they'll be hot?

Fantastic Member

I think there is a glut of superhero movies right now and that at some point movie-goers will tire of them. However, I think there will always be a demand for a great superhero movie just as there will always be a demand for a great western.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I think there is a glut of superhero movies right now and that at some point movie-goers will tire of them. However, I think there will always be a demand for a great superhero movie just as there will always be a demand for a great western.
    Sure but once the demand shrinks the studios might have to cut their losses somehow.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

For as long as you keep making threads.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    For as long as you keep making threads.
    Yes, I want comics printed on newsprint and the prices dropped to $1.99. And I don't want B-list modern characters grafted onto the Golden Age JSA, since they've got even less business there than they do as members of the Justice League.

Meanwhile, super-hero movies don't have to completely disappear in order for a decline in them to deal a huge blow not only to Marvel and DC, but to the overall box office as well. This will have a devastating effect when it happens. It's just a matter of when and by how much.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-08-2018 at 06:22 AM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Yes, I want comics printed on newsprint and the prices dropped to $1.99. And I don't want B-list modern characters grafted onto the Golden Age JSA.
    So you've made thread regarding superhero adaptations before to try to drum interest up in comics? Print will still remain relevant but it's not as strongly used these days.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    So you've made thread regarding superhero adaptations before to try to drum interest up in comics? Print will still remain relevant but it's not as strongly used these days.
    Mr. FlashFreak didn't like what I said about those two issues, even though what I said about them was entirely reasonable. That's what's going on there.

As we all know, DC has been taking a beating from Marvel at the movies. But maybe super-hero movies won't be a big deal for much longer.

I think the decline will come when they recast Captain America or Iron Man. Will they go the James Bond route and simply recast him and this is him now or will they go the Spider-man route and redo everything. And in spider-man's case, we didn't like the redo, so we redid it again. Regardless of the path they choose, if it isn't done well, the decline will begin here.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I think the decline will come when they recast Captain America or Iron Man. Will they go the James Bond route and simply recast him and this is him now or will they go the Spider-man route and redo everything. And in spider-man's case, we didn't like the redo, so we redid it again. Regardless of the path they choose, if it isn't done well, the decline will begin here.
    I don't see how they can replace those guys, especially Downey.

Something I just thought of -- the Star Wars movies may have already passed their peak.

Astonishing Member

*Looks at Black Panther's box office results and critical acclaim*

It's going to be awhile.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    *Looks at Black Panther's box office results and critical acclaim*

It's going to be awhile.
    Yes, and Wonder Woman too. They should make money for a while. The thing is, DC and Marvel don't seem to have another breakout female or black character.

On another board, I asked why people thought the sales of the collections were declining, and a guy gave a good answer. He said all the classic stories have been issued and re-issued. The same might be true of the classic comics characters. There are only so many of them.

Something I just thought of -- the Star Wars movies may have already passed their peak.
    Funny you should say that because that was the first thing I thought when I saw this thread. I feel like Star Wars will lose people's interest before superhero movies do.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Funny you should say that because that was the first thing I thought when I saw this thread. I feel like Star Wars will lose people's interest before superhero movies do.
    And Disney has been strangely quiet about the Han Solo movie, which suggests the company may have no confidence in it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    It could be said that the Marvel universe could struggle to keep people's interest once Cap, Iron Man, Thor (the "original" characters) leave, in the same way that Star Wars will most likely struggle to keep people's interest once Luke, Leia, Han, Vader, Yoda (the "original" characters) don't feature in the movies.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

I think its going to be a while, although there will probably be dips and booms like anything else.

People bring up the western, but I think Sci Fi is a better approximation. Westerns are fairly limited in that if you veer too off course it is no longer a western. The rules seem more strict than Sci Fi and I think superheroes as well.

As we've seen with comics and in film, superheroes are very genre flexible.