Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default CHEETAH - Recommended Reading List

With confirmation that Cheetah is the big bad of Wonder Woman 2, what are some issues or stories that you would recommend to someone trying to get a glimpse of what's potentially to come in the film?

As a big fan of the character, here's my list (Comixology links included!):

CHEETAH RECOMMENDATIONS:

• Wonder Woman #6 - Cheetah's first historical appearance as Priscilla Rich.
    • Wonder Woman #28 - Cheetah joins Villainy Inc., a compilation of Wonder Woman's most prominent foes from the 40's.
    • Wonder Woman #274 and #275 - Environmentalist Deborah Domaine becomes the second Cheetah.
    • Wonder Woman #9 - The first appearance of Post-Crisis Cheetah, Barbara Ann Minerva.
    • Wonder Woman #28 and #29 - The origins of Barbara Ann and the Cheetah revealed!
    • Wonder Woman #186 and #187 - Barbara Ann battles Sebastian, the fourth Cheetah and the man who stole her powers.
    • Flash #219 and Wonder Woman #214 - Cheetah joins forces with the Flash's enemy Zoom to gain enhanced powers.
    • Justice #1-12 - A modern take on the classic Cheetah, Priscilla Rich, as a member of the Legion of Doom.
    • Justice League #13 and #14 - Cheetah's first New 52 appearance. She's stronger than ever, taking on the entire Justice League at once. This story is notable also for merging all of the past Cheetahs into one character.
    • Wonder Woman #23.1: The Cheetah - The Villains Month issue starring Cheetah. While this version of the Cheetah is completely different from the current one, it's a fun read nonetheless.
    • Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #12 and #13 - The "Generations" story features a fantastic fight sequence between Diana and Barbara Ann as they battle over a phoenix egg.
    • Wonder Woman '77 Special #2 - While Cheetah never appeared in the Wonder Woman TV series from the 70's, this comic depicts how she would have been potentially portrayed.
    • Wonder Woman #1-24 - The first 24 issues of Wonder Woman post-Rebirth have focused heavily on the Cheetah and her relationship with Diana. This is one of the best, most developed versions we've seen of the character.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE:

• Literally any issue of Catwoman featuring Cheetah
    • Salvation Run
    • Final Crisis
    • Flashpoint
    • Forever Evil: ARGUS
    • Green Arrow #39

Recommendations:
    Dwayne McDuffie's Justice League of America run, the "Injustice League" storyline. Cheetah is shown with Lex and Joker over a few panels as being in charge of bringing the IL together. To my recollection in comics, this may be the only time they've been shown together plotting as "equals." (I wish they'd spend more time together in current continuity, just to see what might happen.)

Secret Six - Simone's "Get Out of Hell Free" storyline. Cheetah only appears for a few pages overall in the story, but when she does the entire team is freaked out and afraid of her - as they should be.

Avoid Like The Plague:
    Final Crisis: Resist - I mean, unless you think Barbara Minerva would be less resourceful than she is and would "date" Snapper Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    With confirmation that Cheetah is the big bad of Wonder Woman 2, what are some issues or stories that you would recommend to someone trying to get a glimpse of what's potentially to come in the film?

As a big fan of the character, here's my list (Comixology links included!):

CHEETAH RECOMMENDATIONS:

• Wonder Woman #6 - Cheetah's first historical appearance as Priscilla Rich.
    • Wonder Woman #28 - Cheetah joins Villainy Inc., a compilation of Wonder Woman's most prominent foes from the 40's.
    • Wonder Woman #274 and #275 - Environmentalist Deborah Domaine becomes the second Cheetah.
    • Wonder Woman #9 - The first appearance of Post-Crisis Cheetah, Barbara Ann Minerva.
    • Wonder Woman #28 and #29 - The origins of Barbara Ann and the Cheetah revealed!
    • Wonder Woman #186 and #187 - Barbara Ann battles Sebastian, the fourth Cheetah and the man who stole her powers.
    • Flash #219 and Wonder Woman #214 - Cheetah joins forces with the Flash's enemy Zoom to gain enhanced powers.
    • Justice #1-12 - A modern take on the classic Cheetah, Priscilla Rich, as a member of the Legion of Doom.
    • Justice League #13 and #14 - Cheetah's first New 52 appearance. She's stronger than ever, taking on the entire Justice League at once. This story is notable also for merging all of the past Cheetahs into one character.
    • Wonder Woman #23.1: The Cheetah - The Villains Month issue starring Cheetah. While this version of the Cheetah is completely different from the current one, it's a fun read nonetheless.
    • Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #12 and #13 - The "Generations" story features a fantastic fight sequence between Diana and Barbara Ann as they battle over a phoenix egg.
    • Wonder Woman '77 Special #2 - While Cheetah never appeared in the Wonder Woman TV series from the 70's, this comic depicts how she would have been potentially portrayed.
    • Wonder Woman #1-24 - The first 24 issues of Wonder Woman post-Rebirth have focused heavily on the Cheetah and her relationship with Diana. This is one of the best, most developed versions we've seen of the character.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE:

• Literally any issue of Catwoman featuring Cheetah
    • Salvation Run
    • Final Crisis
    • Flashpoint
    • Forever Evil: ARGUS
    • Green Arrow #39
    Thank you for posting this, Nyssane! I had been thinking about looking up Cheetah's early appearances, because I wanted to read up on those.

I also appreciate the "Avoid like the Plague"!

Fantastic Member

What do you guys recommend for animated portrayals?

I at least know to avoid DCAU Cheetah like the plague where she becomes yet another female character who falls for Batman in order to make his character look cool. How tacky!

Cheetah at times hasn’t been too many appearances in animated media at times. By that we have sueprfriends. We have JL and brave and bold. Justice League action hasn’t used cheetah yet.

Why does Dc allow cheetah to beaten so easily when they have Diana almost being killed by her . Both Circe and Cheetah shouldn’t be beaten by Batman.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7-Love View Post

I at least know to avoid DCAU Cheetah like the plague where she becomes yet another female character who falls for Batman in order to make his character look cool. How tacky!
    Check out “Secret Origins of the Super Friends” from the 3rd season of the “Super Friends” cartoon.
    I’d also recommend the DC animated movie “Justice League: Doom”

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    Check out “Secret Origins of the Super Friends” from the 3rd season of the “Super Friends” cartoon.
    I’d also recommend the DC animated movie “Justice League: Doom”
    The "Triumvirate of Terror" episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold also has quite a great showing for Cheetah.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-Love View Post

Yeah, it's really sad how Cheetah was portrayed and honestly ignored by the DCAU creative teams for the most part.

The "Triumvirate of Terror" episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold also has quite a great showing for Cheetah.
    A fun show and a really fun episode. Apparently I like it when Joker, Luthor, and Cheetah team up.

Patty I think stated herself she read all the eras of Wonder Woman. I wonder if she is going with a mix o Priscilla and Barbara. How should that be done?

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Cheetah at times hasn’t been too many appearances in animated media at times. By that we have sueprfriends. We have JL and brave and bold. Justice League action hasn’t used cheetah yet.

Why does Dc allow cheetah to beaten so easily when they have Diana almost being killed by her . Both Circe and Cheetah shouldn’t be beaten by Batman.
    She was in an episode of JLA but not a very big part at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Patty I think stated herself she read all the eras of Wonder Woman. I wonder if she is going with a mix o Priscilla and Barbara. How should that be done?
    I'm not sure why people always distinguish the two as completely separate characters. Both share many similarities.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

I'm not sure why people always distinguish the two as completely separate characters. Both share many similarities.
    Priscilla Rich was a complete wacko while Barbara Ann Minerva back in Post-Crisis was pure evil.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Priscilla Rich was a complete wacko while Barbara Ann Minerva back in Post-Crisis was pure evil.
    Yet they both represent the themes of envy and wrath.

I think people overestimate Priscilla Rich's "mental instability." Yes, she legitimately had schizophrenia, but she also did commit acts of crime simply because it made her feel better due to her inferiority complex. And she was just as crafty and evil as post-Crisis Barbara Ann.

Fantastic Member

I don't think of them as the same. Priscilla couldn't help herself and seemed driven by impulse. Barbara was cold and calculating, and her entire world had been set up to get what she wanted.

Priscilla was the product of riches-- the bored socialite girl wanting to lash out. Barbara was the white imperialist seeking out the riches girls like Priscilla enjoyed.

Anyway, two other stories of interest are Wonder Woman vol. 1 #230, a story from the 70s set during WW II, a retelling of the Golden Age Cheetah's origin.

Justice League of America vol. 1 #s 195-197 has a new Secret Society featuring the Debbie Domaine Cheetah. Wonder Woman and she have a great fight over the Washington Monument, and then Cheetah demonstrates her intense hatred for Wonder Woman by being the only society member able to break through the stasis machine in which the heroes are trapped. Great art by Perez, too.