Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default What's with the hate towards The Suicide Squad trailer????

Hey guys, I was reading online on E! that people don't like Jared Leto's Joker or that Harley Quinn isn't funny enough... It's a trailer, it's supposed to tease you for what lies ahead. Sure, I do agree that they didn't show any story line for their task but I think this will become a trilogy. This will be the assembling of the squad then they'll go for the Avengers style and make sequels. I think Margot Robbie was great in the Trailer, she's so weird with how she was hanging from her bed sheet like she was in cirque du soleil,how she pumps the baseball bat like a shotgun, the way she blows bubbles with her gum etc...

Now, Enchantress. I LOVE Cara Delevigne, always have, she's my dream girl and I can't really find any background story on her because I read The New Suicide Squad so info on her would be appreciated.

Will Smith in the trailer looked great, he really displayed how Floyd Lawton just wants to get the job done and get some time off his sentence.

Killer Croc looks scary, but in a good way.

Now, I wan't to talk about Jared Leto; people are complaining about his laugh and I agree, he sounds like Chancellor Palpetine from Star Wars but he's scary, I got passed the tattoos and grills on his teeth, I actually like it. People are saying " Heath Ledger will never be touched." Heath was good, but he was a PG-13 Joker, Jared is most likely a rated R Joker and people must've forgot how EVIL the Joker is. As most of you know, I love Batman and the Joker and when the trailer ended I was more than impressed; however, most of you know a lot more than I do so i'd like to hear your opinions on the trailer, The Joker, Harley and info on Enchantress.

I have two specific complaints. The ultra-slow music completely undermines the idea of this being some kind of movie with action. Without costumes, these villains look like they are going to a goth bar.

Short answer: It's not what certain people envision as those characters.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I haven't seen many complaints at all, except concerning Joker. But a lot (not all) of people are dead set on disliking this version until at least the movie's release, evidently.

I guess maybe there are Harley complaints too, but a lot of those involve the phrase 'whore (or slut) version', so they can't be taken seriously.

No such thing as a perfect adaptation, since there are hundreds of source materials to draw from.
    Last edited by superfictious; 07-14-2015 at 06:52 AM.

BANNED

Most people have never read any version of Suicide Squad and their only perceptions of these characters are from other comics/shows.

That's basically it.

BANNED

Fans bitch on the internet about EVERYTHING, and think because they have watched a lot of shitty movies, they are suddenly Film Critics.
    That's the correct answer.

Aside from Joker and Harley's visual interpretations being fucking wretched, I don't hate this, but I don't have any specific interest in it either.

I loved Ledger's visual interpretation, and Nicholson's. I'm not against different, these characters are pretty flexible, but in this movie they look like Insane Clown Posse fans, and that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by superfictious View Post
    I haven't seen many complaints at all, except concerning Joker. But a lot (not all) of people are dead set on disliking this version until at least the movie's release, evidently.

I guess maybe there are Harley complaints too, but a lot of those involve the phrase 'whore (or slut) version', so they can't be taken seriously.

No such thing as a perfect adaptation, since there are hundreds of source materials to draw from.
    Indeed.

Besides, Ayer is consulting Ostrander on the film (I remember reading an interview where Ostrander mentioned it).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

It just doesn't look all that interesting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Most people have never read any version of Suicide Squad and their only perceptions of these characters are from other comics/shows.

That's basically it.
    Most people have no perceptions of most of the character at all. They've never heard of them.

I just think the concept of the story, either as a movie or as a comic, is horrible, and for me it's a non-starter. I won't even be giving this a chance. The idea that the government is in a position to control, direct, manipulate the worst super villains is so fundamentally wrong it cannot possibly be entertaining to me. Superheroes like Batman exist precisely because no other forces can exist to deal with these people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgoldman14 View Post
    Hey guys, I was reading online on E! that people don't like...
    I suggest not doing that moving forward.

Not seeing much hate around here for it. I agree it seems like a Harley vehicle and not sure I'm feeling the look of her but it's early.

I still don't think there has been a credible Amanda Waller yet on film or TV outside of the one Timm put out using CCH Pounder’s voice, Angela Bassett, Pam Grier- the both of them a bit to cute. Surprisingly Viola Davis, who puts me more in the mind of a Junior High School algebra teacher over a government agent who manipulates supers seems a bit too sweet for 'The Wall'. It's whatever though, we'll see.

My only interest in this is the one Bat Rouge yet to see live-action in Killer Croc anyway.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I thought it was just boring. I mean really, what did it show us? It told us what SS was, some cut scenes with various characters who I could only name a couple, some shots of Harley Quinn acting like a loony bin slut type, OH HAI BATMAN!, and then end with a Joker who looks odd.

But then again, this wasn't meant for mass audiences.. it was just supposed to be for comicon fanboys who love everything they see. So, whatever. Still gonna see it, not worried about it. i will judge it more after the real trailer comes out and maybe to see who the main target of the film is.

Longer more detailed thoughts if you care... http://www.mindofshadow.com/2015/07/...zzzzzzzzzzzzz/
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Besides, Ayer is consulting Ostrander on the film (I remember reading an interview where Ostrander mentioned it).
    Really? That's pretty cool, and get me even more hyped. Makes me wonder what those two could do with a Jim Corrigan/GCPD story.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not seeing the hate either, but I respect all opinions. Nevertheless, I was so pleased with the trailer, its good in a way that its a DC property, not Marvel. I love Marvel films but a dark Suicide Squad is what is needed.

Incredible Member

"Hate" is an overrated word to use for this. Most people wouldn't know Suicide Squad if it bit them on their rear end, comic book readers or not. People are more likely bitching about the DC style they've gone for, or they're bitching about Deadshot being black, or they're bitching about Jared Leto being Joker, or they're bitching about the costumes looking silly.

For my money, I'm more interested in this than F4 or Ant-Man, and that's because it's a genuinely fresh product coming our way from a studio only just opening the lock-box on a truly heavy list of superstar-ready characters. I'm willing to give it a chance, and I'm hoping Margot Robbie kills it here.