Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I have no idea what the Doomsday Clock connection to anything is anymore but I assume the heroes will regain their memories of each other by the end of the story.

It would be kind of a waste just to see everything start from scratch.
    The Rebirth Special recollection of the Wally/Jay scene from COIE 12 seemingly dictates that a familiarity between the JSA and the DC Universe existed and "should" exist. Of course, we all inferred that the JSA would return with much of their history intact, but I suspect plans have changed considerably since then.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The Rebirth Special recollection of the Wally/Jay scene from COIE 12 seemingly dictates that a familiarity between the JSA and the DC Universe existed and "should" exist. Of course, we all inferred that the JSA would return with much of their history intact, but I suspect plans have changed considerably since then.
    What?

Plans never-ever change on things guys like Geoff Johns and Scott Snyder have been promoting / working on! EVER!!!

Has anybody ever figured out where exactly 2012's Batman #0 fits into the "Zero Year" arc?

It’s been a while since I’ve read zero year but I think Bruce was already hunting the Red Hood gang at the start. So probably before, unless I’m mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    It’s been a while since I’ve read zero year but I think Bruce was already hunting the Red Hood gang at the start. So probably before, unless I’m mistaken.
    And yet, it wasn't included in any of the "Zero Year" collected editions (at least those released here in the U.S.), was it?

By the way, interesting how there are some past Golden Age members not in that picture.

No Spectre. No Johnny Thunder. No Dr. Mid-Nite.
    There's Wildcat (who wasn't officially a full member back in the Golden Age) but no Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane version) who also filled in as a member for one issue back in the Golden Age.
    And of course, there's no replacement for Wonder Woman.

But then again, it's just an image that may not totally depict what members would actually be in any story by Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, interesting how there are some past Golden Age members not in that picture.

There's Wildcat (who wasn't officially a full member back in the Golden Age) but no Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane version) who also filled in as a member for one issue back in the Golden Age.

But then again, it's just an image that may not totally depict what members would actually be in any story by Snyder.
    The solicit has the JSA of the past which doesn't set a particular year, so this not-unusual line-up isn't particularly noteworthy. Roy Thomas was the last writer to follow Golden Age continuity religiously and even he tweaked it.

The solicit has the JSA of the past which doesn't set a particular year, so this not-unusual line-up isn't particularly noteworthy. Roy Thomas was the last writer to follow Golden Age continuity religiously and even he tweaked it.
    Well, since Starman replaced Hourman as a member of the JSA (in All Star Comics #8, cover-dated December 1941-January 1942), the same issue where Dr. Fate first wore his half-helmet in a JSA story, and the fact that Sandman originally last wore his green suit and gas mask in a Golden Age JSA story in All Star Comics #9 (February-March 1942) does make it a bit hard to pin down around when this might be representing.
    And back in the Golden Age stories, Wildcat first appeared in a JSA adventure in All-Star Comics #24 (Spring 1945).

Wildcat was in two stories, and Mr. Terrific was in one. Flash and Green Lantern were not in the book from what, All-Star 8 through All-Star 24, or something like that? In fact, I'm not sure Flash and Starman ever shared an All-Star issue. So this lineup doesn't match any of the actual issues, but it could easily be said that it took place between issues, and drew from the various active and honorary members who were available. I'm fine with it.

Sandman was gone when Wildcat made his appearances, and should have been in his purple and gold costume. But I prefer the suit and gas mask anyway.
    Last edited by andersonh1; 06-22-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Wildcat was in two stories, and Mr. Terrific was in one. Flash and Green Lantern were not in the book from what, All-Star 8 through All-Star 24, or something like that? In fact, I'm not sure Flash and Starman ever shared an All-Star issue. So this lineup doesn't match any of the actual issues, but it could easily be said that it took place between issues, and drew from the various active and honorary members who were available. I'm fine with it.

Sandman was gone when Wildcat made his appearances, and should have been in his purple and gold costume. But I prefer the suit and gas mask anyway.
    While I respect people's desire for a close relation with the actual Golden Age continuity, does the shifting of membership over the WW2 years make that big of a difference? The biggest point of discontinuity, IMHO, is Sandman's costume. And I suspect that shift from actual canonical appearances is a welcome change for many of us.

While I respect people's desire for a close relation with the actual Golden Age continuity, does the shifting of membership over the WW2 years make that big of a difference? The biggest point of discontinuity, IMHO, is Sandman's costume. And I suspect that shift from actual canonical appearances is a welcome change for many of us.
    I'm not complaining, just having fun working out when this lineup could have existed. Nerdy JSA fan speculation, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I'm not complaining, just having fun working out when this lineup could have existed. Nerdy JSA fan speculation, nothing more.
    Which is cool. But sometimes there can be a fine line between curiosity and complaint. If we look at the picture, though, the Sandman's original costume is the most problematic element of the timeframe.

Taking a strict "members only" approach, the picture is out of place. Sandman puts the time at an earlier setting and if we accept All Star Squadron as canon for this, the JSA often were with other heroes in their earliest days. But even by strict All-Star Comics only, the Honorary Supes and Bats showed up a couple of times, Black canary had a couple of adventures before being officially accepted as a member.

Which is cool. But sometimes there can be a fine line between curiosity and complaint. If we look at the picture, though, the Sandman's original costume is the most problematic element of the timeframe.

Taking a strict "members only" approach, the picture is out of place. Sandman puts the time at an earlier setting and if we accept All Star Squadron as canon for this, the JSA often were with other heroes in their earliest days. But even by strict All-Star Comics only, the Honorary Supes and Bats showed up a couple of times, Black canary had a couple of adventures before being officially accepted as a member.
    I hadn't even bothered to mention Black Canary since she was a post-WWII (1947) introduction.
    Her first JSA appearance as a guest-star was in All-Star Comics #38 (December 1947-January 1948).

As for past confusion/inconsistencies regarding who was a member of the JSA and when, I remember this issue of Wonder Woman from back in 1977, when the series was starring Earth-2's Golden Age Diana (to coincide with the first season of her 1970s TV show):

It’s clear that Synder is only including the golden age characters that I like
    Never cared for Johnny Thunder or Terry Sloan.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Yeah, the lack of Mid-Nite is weird, and Johnny was already tied back to the JSA through Doomsday Clock.

I wonder if they're cutting out Terry so they don't have to deal with Michael Holt as a legacy hero?

I don't think Black Canary will be used, sadly. They'll probably ignore her to avoid explaining her relation to the modern day version.
    I also don't see them paying too much attention to the original continuity. This looks like a redo, since Snyder says they're meeting the League for the first time.
    If that IS the case, I wish they had taken the opportunity to have a better gender balance.