Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

By the way, one thing the New52 definitely got right when it came to changing Batgirl was once again making Barbara Jim Gordon's biological daughter from his own marriage.
    (In the post-CoIE revisions, they originally had Barbara as Jim's niece who was adopted by Jim and his wife when Jim's brother and sister-in-law were killed.
    I believe there was a later possibility of Jim actually being Barbara's biological father, but as a result of an affair Jim had with his sister-in-law?)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, one thing the New52 definitely got right when it came to changing Batgirl was once again making Barbara Jim Gordon's biological daughter from his own marriage.
    (In the post-CoIE revisions, they originally had Barbara as Jim's niece who was adopted by Jim and his wife when Jim's brother and sister-in-law were killed.
    I believe there was a later possibility of Jim actually being Barbara's biological father, but as a result of an affair Jim had with his sister-in-law?)
    I disagree. Shocker, I know.

Yeah, I liked it better when she wasn't his biological daughter.

All-New Member

I think whoever writes her next run should focus on re-integrating her into the larger DC Universe. Have her meet and team up with heroes like Wonder Woman or Blue Beetle, have her go on globetrotting adventures a la Grayson/Red Hood, have her face off against villains that aren't quite as cartoonish as the Burnside ones, etc. They need to give her higher stakes.

Gotham City is her home, so that should always be her headquarters, but they need to make her series feel less claustrophobic and contained. You can pretty write and draw anything in comics, so I wonder why they don't do something more creative with her outside of the boring 'street villain of the issue' plot?

But wasn't she originally his daughter in the first place? because wasn't she originally supposed to be the baby in Batman Year One, but then they changed it to a boy and did the niece thing because it screwed up with Bruce's age and would have to make him a lot older?

Like i read that somewhere a while ago but I don't no if it's accurate. But blood or not Jim will always be Barbara's father.

Spectacular Member

Comic-Con International just released their official t-shirt designs for pre-order for San Diego this year.
    There are five designs- three feature variations on the Comic-Con logo, one features their Toucan mascot, and one celebrates fifty years of the Barbara Gordon character, as Batgirl, in her Burnside costume.

IMG_8524.jpg

I think that Barbara Gordon's future in the DC Universe, as Batgirl, and heavily featured, is pretty secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Karmasaywhat View Post
    I think whoever writes her next run should focus on re-integrating her into the larger DC Universe. Have her meet and team up with heroes like Wonder Woman or Blue Beetle, have her go on globetrotting adventures a la Grayson/Red Hood, have her face off against villains that aren't quite as cartoonish as the Burnside ones, etc. They need to give her higher stakes.

Gotham City is her home, so that should always be her headquarters, but they need to make her series feel less claustrophobic and contained. You can pretty write and draw anything in comics, so I wonder why they don't do something more creative with her outside of the boring 'street villain of the issue' plot?
    I take it you don't read either of the Rebirth series Batgirl is in?

The first several issues of Batgirl's own book had her over in Asia, and the B&tBoP book (where she teams up regularly with Black Canary and Huntress) can easily go beyond the borders of Burnside/Gotham City.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post
    Comic-Con International just released their official t-shirt designs for pre-order for San Diego this year.
    There are five designs- three feature variations on the Comic-Con logo, one features their Toucan mascot, and one celebrates fifty years of the Barbara Gordon character, as Batgirl, in her Burnside costume.

IMG_8524.jpg

I think that Barbara Gordon's future in the DC Universe, as Batgirl, and heavily featured, is pretty secure.
    They've done a couple of things for her 50th but they sure are being low key about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    But wasn't she originally his daughter in the first place? because wasn't she originally supposed to be the baby in Batman Year One, but then they changed it to a boy and did the niece thing because it screwed up with Bruce's age and would have to make him a lot older?

Like i read that somewhere a while ago but I don't no if it's accurate. But blood or not Jim will always be Barbara's father.
    Yeah her being Gordon's niece was a Post Crisis thing. Every other incarnation (Pre-Crisis, 1966 TV series, BTAS) had her as his daughter. It's one of the things I'm happy the New 52 changed

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    They've done a couple of things for her 50th but they sure are being low key about it.
    Just wait till the movie comes out.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I take it you don't read either of the Rebirth series Batgirl is in?

The first several issues of Batgirl's own book had her over in Asia, and the B&tBoP book (where she teams up regularly with Black Canary and Huntress) can easily go beyond the borders of Burnside/Gotham City.

I've read both (well, I gave up on BoP one arc in). Her Asia arc still felt really isolated and self contained. I'm talking more about integration into the larger DC Universe, eg: teaming up with heroes/facing off against villains around the world.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Yeah her being Gordon's niece was a Post Crisis thing. Every other incarnation (Pre-Crisis, 1966 TV series, BTAS) had her as his daughter. It's one of the things I'm happy the New 52 changed
    It was a rare positive change. All stories with Babs/Jim read better with her as his real daughter. It was silly for Post-COIE to buck her original history only to have her treated as a daughter anyway in Post-Crisis despite the niece BS. I think I never really complained about the niece technicality thing only because every writer treated her a daughter still and thus I never really ever viewed her as a niece. So it was smart for DC to make what was de facto already actually accurate back to her original conception.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Completely agree. The niece thing just doesn't work for me. I have nothing against adoption, but the change just reeked of retcon for no good reason.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It was a rare positive change. All stories with Babs/Jim read better with her as his real daughter. It was silly for Post-COIE to buck her original history only to have her treated as a daughter anyway in Post-Crisis despite the niece BS. I think I never really complained about the niece technicality thing only because every writer treated her a daughter still and thus I never really ever viewed her as a niece. So it was smart for DC to make what was de facto already actually accurate back to her original conception.
    Pretty much this ^^^^^

The Post crisis niece thing felt over complicated and unnecessary to me personally, its one of the few things where I think new52 "simplify" method actually had a positive impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I disagree. Shocker, I know.

Yeah, I liked it better when she wasn't his biological daughter.
    Color me curious. What did you prefer about the niece backstory? Was it the fact that it didnt depend on a particularly close biological bond to 'feel close'? or something else?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post

Color me curious. What did you prefer about the niece backstory? Was it the fact that it didnt depend on a particularly close biological bond to 'feel close'? or something else?
    Pretty much. I've always liked the idea of this whole web of people being connected by different bonds, without anyone being a biological parent or the like. It's why I still don't like the concept of Bruce having a biological kid (Doesn't help with how he's marketed), and why I preferred it when Babs wasn't Gordon's daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Karmasaywhat View Post
    I've read both (well, I gave up on BoP one arc in). Her Asia arc still felt really isolated and self contained. I'm talking more about integration into the larger DC Universe, eg: teaming up with heroes/facing off against villains around the world.
    Well, don't forget she was involved in Batman Eternal and went places besides Gotham with other Bat-family members. She also met Supergirl in this year's Batgirl annual, and guest-starred in some recent issues of Supergirl. (Did they possibly go to the Phantom Zone in that?)

And besides, under the Rebirth continuity, do we know how long she was in action as Batgirl prior to being crippled by the Joker? Do we know how long ago (in the Rebirth continuity timeline) Barbara finally went back into action as Batgirl?

Are your expectations for all the globe-trotting and teaming up with every super-being/"integration into the larger DC Universe" possibly a tad premature for a non-powered character based on her still limited periods of activity as Batgirl?