Page 778 of 865 FirstFirst ... 278678728768774775776777778779780781782788828 ... LastLast
Results 11,656 to 11,670 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post

Ultimate Spider-Man was awesome. It felt like I was reading Spider-Man from the early days again. It's probably Bendis' best work ever.
    To me it's DD but to me a self contained run always tops something that has tie ins and crossovers, not sure why since I read plenty of shared universe books but my favorites are always the self contained ones.

Well yesterday I was pretty harsh on Phonogram but I read the first OHC today of the Wicked and the Divine and it's a lot better. I'm mixing this up with the deluxe editions of Fables (I finished volume 3 of that series last night).

I read about the first 50 issues in tpbs way back when they were probably on issue 60 or so and I forgot how great this series is.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    To me it's DD but to me a self contained run always tops something that has tie ins and crossovers, not sure why since I read plenty of shared universe books but my favorites are always the self contained ones.
    DD to me is his best work, but I really liked USM, Alias (and the Pulse), Powers and his first few years of New Avengers before it got caught up in all the crossovers and events.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Well yesterday I was pretty harsh on Phonogram but I read the first OHC today of the Wicked and the Divine and it's a lot better. I'm mixing this up with the deluxe editions of Fables (I finished volume 3 of that series last night).

I read about the first 50 issues in tpbs way back when they were probably on issue 60 or so and I forgot how great this series is.
    W+D is a later work so it's a bit more well put together but I don't think the style is that much different from Phonogram. Did you just hate it because every character was a jerk in it?
    I'm glad you like W+D btw.

Anyone read The Tick? Any good, is it collected?

The Singles Club of Phonogram is a lot better, probably the best of the three. I found the first story pretentious as well. Give the second arc a shot.

And Fables is awesome. I stopped around issue 90 or so, so it's been years, and I've forgotten a good bit of it. Once Jack of Fables 3 comes out, I'm planning on rereading it all and the stuff I never got to.

W+D is a later work so it's a bit more well put together but I don't think the style is that much different from Phonogram. Did you just hate it because every character was a jerk in it?
    I'm glad you like W+D btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    The Singles Club of Phonogram is a lot better, probably the best of the three. I found the first story pretentious as well. Give the second arc a shot.

I like character driven stories, so I knew what I was getting into with Phonogram (since there wasn't a strong plot) but the characters were not only jerks, they also were uninteresting. I've read stories where none of the characters have redeeming qualities, but these characters . . . eh . . . I couldn't get into it. I also felt like it was just a story about "hey, I know more about music than you do." Whatever.

W+D is similar in style but you can tell Gillen has matured as a writer and he certainly had someone better editing his stuff. (Editors are highly under-valued.)

I felt like Phonogram was to W+D as to what Go Set a Watchmen was to Kill a Mockingbird. It was a hard rough draft that deservedly needed a serious re-write.

Overall, I do like Gillen. I enjoyed his Loki run and I think his stint on Darth Vader might have been the best series Marvel has published in years.

I like character driven stories, so I knew what I was getting into with Phonogram (since there wasn't a strong plot) but the characters were not only jerks, they also were uninteresting. I've read stories where none of the characters have redeeming qualities, but these characters . . . eh . . . I couldn't get into it. I also felt like it was just a story about "hey, I know more about music than you do." Whatever.

W+D is similar in style but you can tell Gillen has matured as a writer and he certainly had someone better editing his stuff. (Editors are highly under-valued.)

I felt like Phonogram was to W+D as to what Go Set a Watchmen was to Kill a Mockingbird. It was a hard rough draft that deservedly needed a serious re-write.

Overall, I do like Gillen. I enjoyed his Loki run and I think his stint on Darth Vader might have been the best series Marvel has published in years.
    Man I hated Go set a Watchman so much Didn't help that Reese Witherspoon was narrating the audiobook.

Man I hated Go set a Watchman so much Didn't help that Reese Witherspoon was narrating the audiobook.
    Haha yes it was awful - except for some of the early childhood flashback scenes which ended up laying the groundwork for what Mockingbird would be. Glad she had a strong editor.

Haha yes it was awful - except for some of the early childhood flashback scenes which ended up laying the groundwork for what Mockingbird would be. Glad she had a strong editor.
    not to derail the thread much but I've read it somewhere that Go set a watchman came out after Lee died and it's debatable how much was written by her and also she didn't really want the book to be published. So dunno how much it had to do with an editor.
    I really wish it stayed unpublished, it just doesn't look good in the 21st century when you turn Atticus into a rambling old racist and your main female protagonist literally needs to be slapped around to change her mind.

As for Gillen and his editors: you think he gets edited much in his independent work? I'm kinda curious how editing works at Image.

Spectacular Member

Hey guys, I need your help and especially the help of my fellow collectors who have moved in the past with a pretty big collection (2 5x5 Expedits - Kallax nowadays) filled with books, mostly Omnibus Volumes, OHC, HC.

It is just a two hour car ride form my place to the new home but still I thought maybe you have some hints or know some people I could DM on the forum?

I thought of using newspapers, etc. for the trades and bubble pack for the HCs. But I am also debating if it is a good idea to remove the dust jakets and pack those seperately?

What are your experiences? Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    Hey guys, I need your help and especially the help of my fellow collectors who have moved in the past with a pretty big collection (2 5x5 Expedits - Kallax nowadays) filled with books, mostly Omnibus Volumes, OHC, HC.

It is just a two hour car ride form my place to the new home but still I thought maybe you have some hints or know some people I could DM on the forum?

I thought of using newspapers, etc. for the trades and bubble pack for the HCs. But I am also debating if it is a good idea to remove the dust jakets and pack those seperately?

My advice, pack them tight in sturdy boxes, fill the gaps with whatever you've got. Don't use boxes too large and strongly tape them so they won't bust open. Protect them but remember they're not cartons of eggs. They should be fine on that short of a drive. Use a dolly to move multiple boxes at a time, you're back will be thankful. Also, I don't recommend using newspapers to pack them. Ink could bleed off onto your books or your hands that will be handling the books.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post

I was wondering about this too. It looks like we're moving this year and I dread having to box up all of my books and move the large Kallax bookshelves.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

not to derail the thread much but I've read it somewhere that Go set a watchman came out after Lee died and it's debatable how much was written by her and also she didn't really want the book to be published. So dunno how much it had to do with an editor.
    I really wish it stayed unpublished, it just doesn't look good in the 21st century when you turn Atticus into a rambling old racist and your main female protagonist literally needs to be slapped around to change her mind.

As for Gillen and his editors: you think he gets edited much in his independent work? I'm kinda curious how editing works at Image.
    Harper Lee agreed to publish Watchman when she was alive but her mental health at the time was questionable and many felt it was her family pushing her to sign the papers and subsequently receive royalties. She actually must have had a pretty good editor as Watchman was the initial draft of what Mockingbird would become. The editor realized there was a diamond in that coal but it needed to be dusted off and reworked. When it was announced that Watchman would be published a lot of media reports erroneously said it was a sequel. It wasn't. It was just the initial draft. From a historical perspective it's actually kind of interesting, but, yes, I don't want a racists Atticus.

Regarding Image. If I'm not mistaken, they do have editors who work with the talent and the talent, I suspect, can use their own editors. These editors work a lot differently from Marvel and DC, however, since the talent can more than likely overrule any suggested changes.

Harper Lee agreed to publish Watchman when she was alive but her mental health at the time was questionable and many felt it was her family pushing her to sign the papers and subsequently receive royalties. She actually must have had a pretty good editor as Watchman was the initial draft of what Mockingbird would become. The editor realized there was a diamond in that coal but it needed to be dusted off and reworked. When it was announced that Watchman would be published a lot of media reports erroneously said it was a sequel. It wasn't. It was just the initial draft. From a historical perspective it's actually kind of interesting, but, yes, I don't want a racists Atticus.

Regarding Image. If I'm not mistaken, they do have editors who work with the talent and the talent, I suspect, can use their own editors. These editors work a lot differently from Marvel and DC, however, since the talent can more than likely overrule any suggested changes.
    Ah thanks for clearing that up with Harper Lee. That explains a lot.

Do you think Morrison had an editor on Nameless? Have you read it?