Page 7 of 286 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

1. Most heroes are essentually the same when it comes to motivation and philosophy, it's the villians that bring narrative diversity to super hero comics.

2. DC,s power scale is too hierarchical. Marvel's more vague power scale makes for better stories.

3. Overly powerful superheroes are less interesting then reasonably powerful ones or ones with no powers at all.

Lots of things here I agree with...how controversial are we supposed to be?

I think Batman is at his best when he's, as someone else said, godfather-ing the rest of the Bat Clan and Batman Inc. And he's still the least interesting character (other than some of the random Inc members). Totally agree with whoever said this first.

Making Superman a "regular" guy who just so happened to be a superpowered alien was the worst thing that has ever been done to him. Putting his power levels on par with the other heavyweights like J'onn, Shazam, and Wonder Woman (a solid de-powering) was the second worst thing that has ever been done to him. Both moves hamstrung the character and forced him to be "Generic Superhero Guy" rather than Superman. He still hasn't recovered, and wont while WB/DC's leadership remains the same.

I dont care that the new Wally West is black. And I dont care that in his first few appearances he was acting like a punk kid. That didn't last long at all but people (many of whom dont even read the book) cant let it go. What bothers me about Wally is that he wasn't allowed to keep a semblance of his history. Everyone else got to retain shades of their history, why not Wally? I think people are so over-sensitive these days, about everything, we're angry at the wrong things.

The Wolfman Titans era was great, but all of us, including DC, need to let it go and allow the franchise to move on and forget it ever happened.

Toyman was better as a child killer. Dr. Light was better as a mindwiped rapist. Black Adam is an infinitely better and more interesting character than Billy Batson.

Hal Jordan is the least interesting character DC has.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Alex Ross is overrated.

Superman in a t-shirt and jeans looks pathetic.

People who complain that the Justice League movie has too many men and only one woman are complete morons.
    Last edited by Colossus1980; 09-19-2015 at 05:46 PM.

It doesn't really make sense for Jason Todd/Red Hood to be accepted back into the Bat-family. He uses guns and is a murderer that doesn't seem concerned with changing his methods. When he teams up with Batman he simply promises not to use any killshots. Really? The simple fact that he's using a gun at all seems to me like something Batman would absolutely not allow. Damian has killed before but grew to regret that and has gone non-lethal ever since. Jason is on the right side of the vigilante game but doesn't mind getting messy. It makes more sense for him to exist in his current form completely separated from Batman but still displays the bat on his chest and is always around for crossover events.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    My most controversial opinion?

Mark Chiarello, Bruce Timm, Darwyn Cooke, Mark Doyle and Karen Berger should be in charge of DC.
    I'd drop Darwyn ('cause he has a reputation for being pretty hard to deal with, although his work is brilliant) and Bruce Timm (who I never really got the love for), and add Jamie Rich. Still hoping there's a coup, and Rich ends up moving from Vertigo to the EiC position. While you can't really compare the scale of being Oni EiC to being DC's, just looking at the work he developed while he was there (and at Dark Horse).

Golden Age DC is like most Hanna-Barbera cartoons they were good growing up but nostalgia prevents alot from seeing that they're not that good anymore
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Golden Age DC is like most Hanna-Barbera cartoons they were good growing up but nostalgia prevents alot from seeing that they're not that good anymore
    Except Jack Cole's Plastic Man, 'cause that's stood the test of time. (Although, technically, I guess it wouldn't really be Golden Age DC as it was published by Quality during the Golden Age.)

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Except Jack Cole's Plastic Man, 'cause that's stood the test of time. (Although, technically, I guess it wouldn't really be Golden Age DC as it was published by Quality during the Golden Age.)
    I finally saw some Plastic Man, and you're right. It's more on par with Eisner's Spirit.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    How does that even work? If it was good 70 or 50 years ago, it's still good. It's just that contemporary people tend to be too full of themselves to allow themselves to enjoy them.

At any rate:

- Everything printed under the DC imprint should be all-ages material. If it ain't, kick it back to Vertigo and keep it out of continuity.

- Vertigo does have a house style. Most Vertigo books, and just about all of the ones you think of when you think 'Vertigo', were bleak, cynical, and pretentious, with bad, cartoony art and horrific pacing issues that came from the fact that most of the series weren't really intended to be read as monthlies. The influence of Vertigo on writing and art styles has done more harm than good to DC as a business.

- Characters like Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern, and the Flash are part of the shared cultural heritage of the United States. They should be treated as such, and their core ideas and mythos should be the same as they were when they were created.

- Copyright lasts too damned long. The New 52 is proof of that. If that's how DC wants to treat the cultural heritage of the USA, somebody else should be given a chance to use the characters and put them in movies, TV shows, and comic books.

- Frank Miller ruined Batman, possibly for all time.

- British writers don't get American superheroes. Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman in particular have a disturbing tendency to abuse and misuse them in ways that suggest they fancy themselves much cleverer than their original creators. That attitude is very annoying.
    Last edited by SteveGus; 09-19-2015 at 08:37 PM.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Retired

When I was young and stupid, I really didn't like Sekowsky and Sachs on the Justice League. Then when I was an adult, I tried to appreciate them and I could kind of see what was good about it, but not really. Now I look at Sekowsky and Sachs and think it's brilliant what they did. And that's no BS.

- The idea of Robin just doesn't make sense. They should stop trying to justify the concept's existence!
    - Wonder Woman should never be in the same power class as Superman, despite how much DC wants her to be.
    - Aside from "The Dark Knight Returns" Batman should never be able to stand a chance against Superman. (and even then, Supes wasn't trying very hard before Bruce "died")
    - "Hard Traveling Heroes" was a low-point for Green Lantern as a character and was an over-written, left-wing, polemic that was as subtle as a dump on your lawn. (and not in a good way)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    How does that even work? If it was good 70 or 50 years ago, it's still good. It's just that contemporary people tend to be too full of themselves to allow themselves to enjoy them.
    Or its just a product of its time and now its just dated?

Take Silver age Superdickery for example, back then I'd say most enjoy those antics and shenanigans, but reading it now alot of it was at best bad writing and at worst downright offensive.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

That IS controversial. And wrong (in my opinion).

Sandy Hausler

I didn't really enjoy Kingdom Come. Sure I see why people like but it's just so overrated to me.

Red Hood is the sole reason I read any Batbook.

Due to watching JL/JLU as a child John Stewart is the only Green Lantern I can fully accept.

Of all the Superman movies Man of Steel was my favorite and it angers me that the next movie in the DCEU isn't a proper sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Of all the Superman movies Man of Steel was my favorite and it angers me that the next movie in the DCEU isn't a proper sequel.
    If it helps, "BvS" is a sequel to "Man of Steel"- it clearly picks up from where "MoS" left off - but films have actually been avoiding using numbers for sequels these days.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-19-2015 at 10:03 PM.