All-New Member

Default Clint & Natasha - friendship/partnership/romance - Appreciation

A thread for lovers, not haters

So anyway... I didn't see a thread like this, so here it is. I was away from comics for over a decade but got back in after the Avengers movie, & I brought with me a new ship - "Clintasha" - as some call it. I starting reading comics that featured them, & was hoping to use this thread to discuss those comics, instead of scattering it throughout other threads of different comics who may not want to discuss such relationships. Or maybe I'll do that too. I get bored sometimes.

Here we go:

Avengers Assemble (#5 I think?) I was excited to see them kissing, but it felt a little rushed to me. I think these two need a long build-up, after first establishing and building the friendship / partnership aspects. Plus there's a lot to deal with still - fallout from "Widow Hunt" arc, DD end of days, that "Cherry" chick from Hawkeye, but Spider-woman & Mockingbird have been resolved at this time it appears.

"Widow's Ledger" arc of Avengers Assemble which introduced the widow markers, & ended with the fact that Clint has one, is a PERFECT set up for a future Black Widow / Hawkeye crossover. Perfect for future romance start too, she does owe him her heart for that past crime

Avengers Assemble Infinity cross over issue showed what appeared to be Natasha grieving the apparant loss of Clint (I think it was Clint, at least, as she wasn't that close to Carol as far as I can tell)

also:
    the cartoon (& comic based thereon) seems to have them butting heads a lot - or maybe their style of flirting?
    Secret Avengers may be taking this route too?
    they both appear in each other's solo titles (not all the time, however, & we'll see where it goes)
    other solo titles - they make co-appearances sometimes (Spider-man team up I think, Loki #1)
    Avengers team books - my most recent fav is from Avengers # 29, when Clint says to Nat "all debts are coming due." perhaps foreshadowing more than just Tony's comeuppens?

I know these two are very different as characters, but I think that works.

Thoughts? Theories? Particular issues to highlight?

I like both characters, but I prefer they remain apart. They were together back in the day, and since then they've resolved their feelings for each other. They are friends and co-workers, and each knows more about the other than almost anyone else.

I prefer it remain that way. I also kin of prefer Clint be single. To me, it kind of shows how difficult it would be to have a normal romantic relationship if one were indeed a superhero. Normal relationships are stressful....now add the weight of saving the world on a regular basis....

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I like both characters, but I prefer they remain apart. They were together back in the day, and since then they've resolved their feelings for each other. They are friends and co-workers, and each knows more about the other than almost anyone else.

I prefer it remain that way. I also kin of prefer Clint be single. To me, it kind of shows how difficult it would be to have a normal romantic relationship if one were indeed a superhero. Normal relationships are stressful....now add the weight of saving the world on a regular basis....
    I'm not 100% convinced they actually ever resolved their feelings, especially considering the widow marker Clint still has, & their 'unfinished business.'

BUT - I definately see how it could impact their titles & the quality of the stories there to have them shacking up & stuff. It's my personal thought that it would work best for them to live apart but be together. If they had the requisite level of trust - knowing themselves & each other well enough (or perhaps learning themselves) - to know when they need help & when they're in over their head (it seems Clint's a little slower learning this lesson than Natasha...) - and also knowing each other well enough to know when to challenge the other that they're being bone-headed with the "I can do it myself" old stick - I think each titles could still go about their separate stories. Throwing them together could muck up the dynamics of the two titles, which no one wants to do, especially considering the quality of the current Black Widow & Hawkeye comics. They'd know how to reach each other when needed for professional support, for comfort, or just R&R, and respect each other enough to give the space needed & not take it personally. I think these two could do it - I think it works for their personalities. & who says they have to choose to follow the social norm & move in together & constantly confess their undying love & have a dog & a cat anyway??

Anyway, any other Clint+Tasha shippers out there? Other takes on how they could work? Thoughts on what the comics are hinting about where these two are going?

I think Clint's status quo is pretty well locked up until Fraction's run is over, and he's still got Clint and Jessica in limbo, depending on whether Jessica forgives Clint or not (I think she'd be dumb to).

As for Clint and Natasha, I think they're better as best friends than together. I mean clearly there's some tension there still, even after all these years, but I don't think they belong together, or that they'd even be any good if they did get together. They need each other, but not like that, IMO.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I think Clint's status quo is pretty well locked up until Fraction's run is over, and he's still got Clint and Jessica in limbo, depending on whether Jessica forgives Clint or not (I think she'd be dumb to).

As for Clint and Natasha, I think they're better as best friends than together. I mean clearly there's some tension there still, even after all these years, but I don't think they belong together, or that they'd even be any good if they did get together. They need each other, but not like that, IMO.
    I'm pretty sure Clint & Jess are officially over, considering the Avengers Assemble tie-ins to Infinity. I know Hawkeye is behind so it hasn't been finally addressed there, but it seems the current Hawkeye arc takes places before Infinity... I think?

Lots of great discussion on what they SHOULD do, but any thoughts about where they're actually going? (or if there's a plan regarding this 'relationship' at all?)

"Wait & see" is probably a good answer, especially with the next few Black Widow issues dealing with other past paramores. Hopefully we'll get some direction from Edmondson about where she's going from her interactions with DD & Bucky. & who knows what the Watcher's eye will reveal...
    My guess is we'll get to see Clint's "Widow's Marker" addressed, possibly (& hopefully) in a Hawkeye/Widow crossover. The "all debts are coming due" statement, when added to other stuff that's been going on in the last year, seems like a decent hint to me. Timing? Maybe after the next movie - Avengers Age of Ultron? (depending on how they plan on dealing with the characters there). Thoughts?

All-New Member

So, it's early June 2014 & I just read Black Widow #7 & Original Sin #3. Pretty clear that romance with Murdock is done for the forseeable future, and (I can't remember how to do spoilers so - if the thing that Bucky did in Original Sin was Real and he did it of his own accord...) my guess is Nat's gonna have a pretty good reason to be pretty mad at Bucky. Possibly clearing the way for Barton? Wait & see again I think in terms of how the Original Sin stuff is going to play out and what will happen in BW 8 (which solicits show as kind of the Bucky issue).
    No other hints in other titles that I could find. But BW has been talking a lot recently about Natasha needing more friends she could trust... maybe something could grow out of that?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sv4me View Post
    So, it's early June 2014 & I just read Black Widow #7 & Original Sin #3. Pretty clear that romance with Murdock is done for the forseeable future, and (I can't remember how to do spoilers so - if the thing that Bucky did in Original Sin was Real and he did it of his own accord...) my guess is Nat's gonna have a pretty good reason to be pretty mad at Bucky. Possibly clearing the way for Barton? Wait & see again I think in terms of how the Original Sin stuff is going to play out and what will happen in BW 8 (which solicits show as kind of the Bucky issue).
    No other hints in other titles that I could find. But BW has been talking a lot recently about Natasha needing more friends she could trust... maybe something could grow out of that?
    While she won't admit it, Spider-Man/Peter Parker is one of the few people who is not only a person that she can trust, but also a person who is her equal. This is a partnership that would eclipsed all of her other previous professional relationships combined because Peter is not Bucky Barns, Matt Murdock, Steve Rogers, or even Clint Barton in terms of having a double life: Normal and abnormal. I am quite certain that is Natasha hangs around Peter Parker long enough, she would develop a sense of humor that has certainly rubbed off on Jessica Drew.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 06-05-2014 at 09:24 AM.

All-New Member

Previews and solicits showing interesting things - especially the solicit for Black Widow #10 in September! Happy birthday month to me!! But wait... VS? I wonder what they're fighting about. Maybe a revelation from the Watcher's eye...? Who knows. Plus it's so difficult to know where these issues go in time - is this after the delayed Hawkeye issues, before/after original sin, AXIS, & the finale to Hickman's epic? How about Secret Avengers? More wait and see I think. But can't wait! So much good stuff coming up, & lots of potential for Clint & Natasha!

Astonishing Member

Previews and solicits showing interesting things - especially the solicit for Black Widow #10 in September! Happy birthday month to me!! But wait... VS? I wonder what they're fighting about. Maybe a revelation from the Watcher's eye...? Who knows. Plus it's so difficult to know where these issues go in time - is this after the delayed Hawkeye issues, before/after original sin, AXIS, & the finale to Hickman's epic? How about Secret Avengers? More wait and see I think. But can't wait! So much good stuff coming up, & lots of potential for Clint & Natasha!
    I could see Clint x Natasha working together; but never again as lovers, when you consider that he cheated on Jessica Drew; broke up with Bobbi, as well as the fact that Natasha can't imagine Clint being the father of her children. However, what Matt Fraction SHOULD have done was create a Hawkeye x Black Cat partnership while he had the chance to do so. It might have been a fun contrast to see Clint Barton x Felicia Hardy in a relationship as he once had with Natasha, Jessica, and Bobbi respectively...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I could see Clint x Natasha working together; but never again as lovers, when you consider that he cheated on Jessica Drew; broke up with Bobbi, as well as the fact that Natasha can't imagine Clint being the father of her children. However, what Matt Fraction SHOULD have done was create a Hawkeye x Black Cat partnership while he had the chance to do so. It might have been a fun contrast to see Clint Barton x Felicia Hardy in a relationship as he once had with Natasha, Jessica, and Bobbi respectively...
    Where does the Nat 'can't imagine Clint being the father of her children' come from? (I have a lot of back issues to catch up on) I seem to recall, though, that she's kind of resigned to not having *more* children as the result of a prior Black Widow series called 'Name of the Rose' (Although there is Mapone, I don't know where she fits in the timeline, plus Mapone's little quip about the blindness being the only thing her father ever gave her not making sense... which could be read a few ways... especially considering 'Hawkeye's' keen eyesight...)

Also, I'm hoping that we'll get a some flashbacks/retcon in BW #10 into the VERY old story of when Clint & Natasha were a thing (& villians). Maybe even a hint as to why she gave Clint his marker? (& what made him finally accept it) One can hope.

Astonishing Member

Where does the Nat 'can't imagine Clint being the father of her children' come from? (I have a lot of back issues to catch up on) I seem to recall, though, that she's kind of resigned to not having *more* children as the result of a prior Black Widow series called 'Name of the Rose' (Although there is Mapone, I don't know where she fits in the timeline, plus Mapone's little quip about the blindness being the only thing her father ever gave her not making sense... which could be read a few ways... especially considering 'Hawkeye's' keen eyesight...)

Also, I'm hoping that we'll get a some flashbacks/retcon in BW #10 into the VERY old story of when Clint & Natasha were a thing (& villians). Maybe even a hint as to why she gave Clint his marker? (& what made him finally accept it) One can hope.
    I meant to say that Natasha can't see Clint as her married husband and a father to their children.

It would have been nice to see Clint x Felicia become more than friends!!!