Page 80 of 865 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180580 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 12974

I have £30 (around 50 bucks) in my paypal I wasn't expecting so have decided why not try and buy myself an omnibus. Any around that price anyone would recommend that I could afford? I'd be looking for it to be an entire series, e.g. one that doesn't require much previous character or universe knowledge.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    I have £30 (around 50 bucks) in my paypal I wasn't expecting so have decided why not try and buy myself an omnibus. Any around that price anyone would recommend that I could afford? I'd be looking for it to be an entire series, e.g. one that doesn't require much previous character or universe knowledge.
    Morrison's Animal Man

BANNED

Those pictures of Death Sentence are amazing. I'm ordering that even though I know nothing about it. The pics have utterly sold me on it. Thanks!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Where do you live? The X-statix omnibus is going for 30 euros in Holland and $40 in America, it's a great book. Also, the Planetary and Sleeper omniboo are amazing and should be in any collection
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

My top 3 recommendations based on your criteria:

1) Planetary Omnibus
    2) Animal Man Omnibus
    3) Sleeper Omnibus

I can't recommend Planetary enough. I've heard the build quality is decent (I own the Absolutes). It's entirely self-contained, the art is amazing, and each issue is just so carefully crafted. It's one of my favorite stories ever.

I'm also quite fond of the Animal Man Omnibus. Some say the art is an issue, but for a child of the early 80s, I found it nostalgic (and I liked it). I'm still amazed at how groundbreaking this story was at the time and it's quite a bargain for the build quality and content.

The Sleeper Omnibus is also recommended as it's self-contained and the first season is amazing, but personally I think the second season isn't nearly as interesting. Something happens at the halfway point and I feel like it never quite lived up to its potential afterwards. I like Criminal way better, but it's still a good buy for the price point and I don't regret buying or reading it one bit.

As a final note of caution... I hate to do it, but I gotta say that I did not like X-Statix... At all. I read almost nothing but positive reviews for it on these forums, but for some reason, I just don't get it. I spent $35 on that omnibus and sold it within a week after I read about 700 pages of it... I just couldn't finish it. The art is bold and might be off-putting for some, but it was actually fine for me (I really like Allred's work on Madman)... I just couldn't take the tongue-in-cheek "humor" (it was more awkward than funny... like when someone makes a bad joke and you're obligated to chuckle). Besides the bad humor, I think my big problem is with the tone of the series. It never quite knows what it wants to be, and it ends up being nothing. It's just kind of... there. And not funny. Which it's trying to be. Anyway, you might like it, and it seems like it's more liked online than at my local LCS (where I know at least 2 other people that hate it worse than I do... with a passion).

Anyway, if you're willing to pay a little bit more, there's always Colossal Conan or Invisibles. Or Big Damn Sin City.
    Last edited by Rorsch; 06-27-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorsch View Post
    My top 3 recommendations based on your criteria:

1) Planetary Omnibus
    2) Animal Man Omnibus
    3) Sleeper Omnibus

I can't recommend Planetary enough. I've heard the build quality is decent (I own the Absolutes). It's entirely self-contained, the art is amazing, and each issue is just so carefully crafted. It's one of my favorite stories ever.

I'm also quite fond of the Animal Man Omnibus. Some say the art is an issue, but for a child of the early 80s, I found it nostalgic (and I liked it). I'm still amazed at how groundbreaking this story was at the time and it's quite a bargain for the build quality and content.

The Sleeper Omnibus is also recommended as it's self-contained and the first season is amazing, but personally I think the second season isn't nearly as interesting. Something happens at the halfway point and I feel like it never quite lived up to its potential afterwards. I like Criminal way better, but it's still a good buy for the price point and I don't regret buying or reading it one bit.

As a final note of caution... I hate to do it, but I gotta say that I did not like X-Statix... At all. I read almost nothing but positive reviews for it on these forums, but for some reason, I just don't get it. I spent $35 on that omnibus and sold it within a week after I read about 700 pages of it... I just couldn't finish it. The art is bold and might be off-putting for some, but it was actually fine for me (I really like Allred's work on Madman)... I just couldn't take the tongue-in-cheek "humor" (it was more awkward than funny... like when someone makes a bad joke and you're obligated to chuckle). Besides the bad humor, I think my big problem is with the tone of the series. It never quite knows what it wants to be, and it ends up being nothing. It's just kind of... there. And not funny. Which it's trying to be. Anyway, you might like it, and it seems like it's more liked online than at my local LCS (where I know at least 2 other people that hate it worse than I do... with a passion).

Anyway, if you're willing to pay a little bit more, there's always Colossal Conan or Invisibles. Or Big Damn Sin City.
    I get why some don't like X-statix, it's a taste thing. I myself really like it. I support Big damn sin city a lot and it's currently up for pre-order for $58 so I say go for it!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

As the folks said before me:
    Planetary
    Sleeper
    Animal man

In this order.

I'll go a different way to others.

Fear Agent Vol 1 ($30 from amazon UK)
    Naussica of the Valley of the wind (under $30 from amazon uk marketplace)

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post

yeah but Fear agent vol1 is only half of the series.
    But absolutely recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post

Library Editions always rock

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Where do you live? The X-statix omnibus is going for 30 euros in Holland and $40 in America, it's a great book. Also, the Planetary and Sleeper omniboo are amazing and should be in any collection
    X-Statix Omnibus for 30 €? Where!?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    X-Statix Omnibus for 30 €? Where!?
    Over here. They always have good prices and their packaging is excellent.

Thanks for all the suggestions but I should have mentioned, I already ordered Planetary and Omnibus, (just cracked the spine on Planetary today!) Had a look at Animal Man and will probably go with that.

Another quick question, I bought #1 of Invisibles on Comixology for a preview and I was confused by some of it (The John Lennon stuff etc), will this start to make sense or is Invisibles challenging?

Thanks for all the suggestions but I should have mentioned, I already ordered Planetary and Omnibus, (just cracked the spine on Planetary today!) Had a look at Animal Man and will probably go with that.

Another quick question, I bought #1 of Invisibles on Comixology for a preview and I was confused by some of it (The John Lennon stuff etc), will this start to make sense or is Invisibles challenging?
    It will start to make sense then it will be confusing again then start to make sense again and ....So yeah, it's confusing but still an engaging read (Animal man is a lot more simple compared to the Invisibles).
    I would say, try Flex Mentallo for example (4 issues, don't need to read Doom patrol before it). If you enjoy that (not the just the story but the style of the writing) and you don't mind strange and sometimes gross stuff, you probably wil like the Invisibles too. (it's still not as strange and disgusting as the Filth).

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    It will start to make sense then it will be confusing again then start to make sense again and ....So yeah, it's confusing but still an engaging read (Animal man is a lot more simple compared to the Invisibles).
    I would say, try Flex Mentallo for example (4 issues, don't need to read Doom patrol before it). If you enjoy that (not the just the story but the style of the writing) and you don't mind strange and sometimes gross stuff, you probably wil like the Invisibles too. (it's still not as strange and disgusting as the Filth).
    Thanks for the reply, it took me a second read to realize it was ghosts the boy was seeing, the colorful psychedelic panels with the bald character apparently interacting with John Lennon though, I have no idea what's going on. Is he actually channeling him? Just some weird ritual? Does Lennon have any involvement in the development of the plot?