Page 286 of 865 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288289290296336386786 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Very cool. I've never delved into Usagi.
    My only real exposure was in the early 90's with TMNT crossovers.
    Stan's been steadily telling stories of This Samurai warrior since the mid 80s. The stories have A very serious and historic tone to it. If you like old samurai movies, you'll love this book. You can get the Usagi Yojimbo Saga vol 1 tpb for cheap right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TehJofus View Post
    For anyone who's interested, I've started recording a few videos of books again (after stopping for ages because I was lazy). Not the most professional videos in the world, but at least they give a bit of a glimpse I'll be recording them on a semi-regular basis, so hopefully there'll be more of these to come. If there are any requests, let me!

This is the Metal Gear Solid deluxe that IDW put out a while ago. Really well built, great paper and the art looks really good. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

That MGS book looks awesome. Is it a retelling of the first PS1 game?

Spectacular Member

Can anyone explain Shaolin Cowboy to me? There's one titled "Shemp Buffet" coming out this week that I've seen one site report as the original story. I've also seen the TPB from Burlyman, but it has almost 50 more pages. Then there's the "Dark Horse Magazine" which I know nothing about.

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    That MGS book looks awesome. Is it a retelling of the first PS1 game?
    It covers the first metal gear and sons of liberty. It's basically a bigger version of tpb omnibus from years ago.

Is there a list anywhere about all of Image's deluxe hc-s?
    Also, what are the opinions about Manhattan projects? I read good reviews but somehow the whole thing (and what I saw so far, like Einstein with a machine gun and stuff like that) seems like something that would appeal to, for example, Deadpool fans, which I am (to put it mildly) not.
    But I'm curious because it's Hickman and sci-fi.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Is there a list anywhere about all of Image's deluxe hc-s?
    Also, what are the opinions about Manhattan projects? I read good reviews but somehow the whole thing (and what I saw so far, like Einstein with a machine gun and stuff like that) seems like something that would appeal to, for example, Deadpool fans, which I am (to put it mildly) not.
    But I'm curious because it's Hickman and sci-fi.
    For the record, the Einstein with a machine gun thing is really only centered on one or two issues. I'd actually argue that you would enjoy it more if you're a more well-read or intelligent person. A lot of the main characters are real people from history, whether it's scientists/military personnel/astronauts. To me that helps amp up the zany nature of the comics. There's no random pop culture humor, or being random/crude for the sake of it.

It's basically the story of what's really going on around the time that the atomic bombs are being created. The world's greatest scientists and leaders are exploring aliens, the occult, alternate realities, and the like. It has the typical grandiose Hickman style writing, where questions aren't answered until many issues later, or things are tied back in to earlier events in a nice way. I have trades, but have considered upgrading to the deluxe edition. There will be 50 issues total, and thus 5 nice HC editions.

If it helps, I really enjoyed the first 10 issues which are collected in the first HC. Also, I think Pitarra's art gets better as the series goes on, and I can't wait to see his stuff on oversized pages once it hits issue #20 or so. More on Hickman's plotting per an interview he did on 11 o'clock Comics Podcast:

He wanted to write the first 25 issues just to get to the second 25. The first half of the story is one contained story featuring this crazy cast of characters. The second half will focus on 5 issue arcs revolving around one of the characters and his or her experiences. I think he said the first 5 to come out will be about a Russian cosmonaut, and the next 5 will be about Einstein (I think). I'm assuming it will all come together again at the end in true Hickman fashion. If you have any more questions let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by awalk1227 View Post
    For the record, the Einstein with a machine gun thing is really only centered on one or two issues. I'd actually argue that you would enjoy it more if you're a more well-read or intelligent person. A lot of the main characters are real people from history, whether it's scientists/military personnel/astronauts. To me that helps amp up the zany nature of the comics. There's no random pop culture humor, or being random/crude for the sake of it.

It's basically the story of what's really going on around the time that the atomic bombs are being created. The world's greatest scientists and leaders are exploring aliens, the occult, alternate realities, and the like. It has the typical grandiose Hickman style writing, where questions aren't answered until many issues later, or things are tied back in to earlier events in a nice way. I have trades, but have considered upgrading to the deluxe edition. There will be 50 issues total, and thus 5 nice HC editions.

If it helps, I really enjoyed the first 10 issues which are collected in the first HC. Also, I think Pitarra's art gets better as the series goes on, and I can't wait to see his stuff on oversized pages once it hits issue #20 or so. More on Hickman's plotting per an interview he did on 11 o'clock Comics Podcast:

He wanted to write the first 25 issues just to get to the second 25. The first half of the story is one contained story featuring this crazy cast of characters. The second half will focus on 5 issue arcs revolving around one of the characters and his or her experiences. I think he said the first 5 to come out will be about a Russian cosmonaut, and the next 5 will be about Einstein (I think). I'm assuming it will all come together again at the end in true Hickman fashion. If you have any more questions let me know!
    Thank you for the detailed answer, it certainly got me interested. For the record: I didn't meant to intend that Deadpool fans are not intelligent. Most of the people I know are DP fans (hell, most of planet Earth!).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Thank you for the detailed answer, it certainly got me interested. For the record: I didn't meant to intend that Deadpool fans are not intelligent. Most of the people I know are DP fans (hell, most of planet Earth!).
    I didn't mean to take it that way either. I guess my point is that a lot of the stereotypical Deadpool/Harley Quinn humor these days is random quotes or references for the sake of a laugh, and that Manhattan Projects is very far from that kind of material. Also that if you actually know who Richard Feynman or Harry S. Truman are from your history classes, that it makes the book all the more interesting to see them in such ridiculous situations!

One big box of awesomeness greeted me today when I got home from work. Thanks IST!

IMG_0717.jpg

I started a brief discussion the other day about whether the Shadow Year One by Wagner was HC or not. It is! However, it is not oversized, but it will do. Here are some pics

IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg

Couple more of the HC DM with Wagner autograph

IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Couple more of the HC DM with Wagner autograph

IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    Was that limited to 25 copies worldwide?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Nah that's another one. This one's just a DM version.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    No, that one is different and cost a little over $200.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I started a brief discussion the other day about whether the Shadow Year One by Wagner was HC or not. It is! However, it is not oversized, but it will do. Here are some pics

IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    Nice. I would love this in hc but the price is too high compared to the tpb (I don't care about autographs). But the tpb only comes out in may :O