Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    Unless this show is shared with the Man of Steel movieverse, I don't see how this show is gonna work. You can't just have Supergirl in a vacuum. It ignores the elephant in the room.
    I can totally see how this story will work: by acknowledging said elephant.

My way-too-early prediction is that we will see a new Clark Kent in the pilot episode who will introduce the audience to Kara and basically set things up. Clark (whom we'll probably never really see in costume) will explain that it's time for Kara to leave the nest and start her own life and that he'll be around if she needs him (but most times she won't). Clark may show up maybe once a season, always in civilian gear, and only when he's in town to visit (and he can never stay long: Metropolis or Lois or the League or the world in general constantly needs his attention elsewhere) and offer support and advice to Kara in a non-overbearing big brother fashion.

I'm hoping Kara picks the Karen Starr identity and this show's theme becomes the Journey to Power Gal (deliberately misspelled).

Also, www.ign.com has a way-too-early but interesting article on who should play Kara on CBS's SUPERGIRL:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...play-supergirl

Out of their 7 choices, two of them stand out: Leven Rambin (SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES) and Britt Robertson (UNDER THE DOME) look the most like what I think of Supergirl.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-22-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    Unless this show is shared with the Man of Steel movieverse, I don't see how this show is gonna work. You can't just have Supergirl in a vacuum. It ignores the elephant in the room.
    You make a very good point, but it can be addressed pretty easily. Just have this be a world where Clark is Superman but Kara has decided to live the quiet life. Doomsday comes, fights Clark to death and in his absence and in honor of her fallen cousin ( and maybe out of guilt for not having helped him) Kara begins using her powers to help the way Clark did.

This way you've addressed the elephant in the room that is Superman, and eliminated the need to have him show up in future episodes.

Astonishing Member

What is with the need to kill or banish Clark? We had the JLA active by the last season of Smallville, but outside of Ollie didn't need an explanation why none of the other Leaguers showed up to handle the freak-of-the-week.

Character rights aside, you could have Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman all active in this universe and simply assume they are busy elsewhere, are unaware of whatever threat Kara is facing that week until after she deals with it, or simply consider what Kara is dealing with to be her problem. It's no different than asking why Superman in the comics isn't constantly showing up in Supergirl (or Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash....)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    What is with the need to kill or banish Clark? We had the JLA active by the last season of Smallville, but outside of Ollie didn't need an explanation why none of the other Leaguers showed up to handle the freak-of-the-week.

Character rights aside, you could have Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman all active in this universe and simply assume they are busy elsewhere, are unaware of whatever threat Kara is facing that week until after she deals with it, or simply consider what Kara is dealing with to be her problem. It's no different than asking why Superman in the comics isn't constantly showing up in Supergirl (or Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash....)
    It is different because Warner Bros. Studios has already made it very clear that their DC cinematic universe will not crossover with any of the TV shows. So no Trinity in any shows, you could probably get away with mentioning them sparsely but that'll be it. Look I'd like nothing better than to have Clark be a guest star from time to time but that's just wishful thinking. Remember how often the creator of Smallville tried to get a young Bruce Wayne or Diana in their show only get rejected time after time. Unlike Marvel's all inclusive cinematic universe DC's is very disjointed, is that good or bad? Guess we'll find out.

Extraordinary Member

I hope that, it somehow ties in with MOS.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I hope that, it somehow ties in with MOS.
    That would be the ideal, but given DC's crappy record for continuity I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by KonFan78 View Post
    It is different because Warner Bros. Studios has already made it very clear that their DC cinematic universe will not crossover with any of the TV shows.
    No one is disputing this particular fact at this time. But wait, it gets more complicated.

So no Trinity in any shows, you could probably get away with mentioning them sparsely but that'll be it.
    Nope, that rule is about to be broken in a few hours: Tonight's GOTHAM television show on FOX features David Mazouz as 12-year-old Bruce Wayne as a regular cast member while 2016's BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE features Ben Affleck as 40-year-old Bruce Wayne. So that's 1 member of the Trinity (in some form) already on a DC TV show, as well as the DCCU.

Look I'd like nothing better than to have Clark be a guest star from time to time but that's just wishful thinking.
    Hardly. They sidestepped that "rule" for Bruce, they'll sidestep it for Clark ... especially when CBS (home of the geek-friendly BIG BANG THEORY) wants to ensure as successful a launch as possible in 2015 for their SUPERGIRL show. Superman has way, way WAY more fans across all media than Supergirl does. I'm betting that CBS will utilize him in the most recognizable but also most non-overwhelming way possible: just have him in there as Clark (non-costume) to kick off the pilot and bring him back sparingly in a support role once in a blue moon. It's less wishful thinking and more pragmatic strategy.

Remember how often the creator of Smallville tried to get a young Bruce Wayne or Diana in their show only get rejected time after time.
    That was solely due to WB honoring then-director Christopher Nolan's request that no competing live-action version of Bruce Wayne be done while he was doing his DARK KNIGHT trilogy. Christopher Nolan has no more say in the DCCU; he was offered the godfather role and turned it down. That's why SMALLVILLE got stuck with the Adam Knight character, who was clearly intended to be a stand-in for Bruce Wayne. Wonder Woman was kept away due to multiple failed attempts at getting her own show off the ground.

Unlike Marvel's all inclusive cinematic universe DC's is very disjointed, is that good or bad? Guess we'll find out.
    Considering that in 3 weeks, we're getting THE FLASH television show on the CW and then in 2017/18 we're supposed to get a DCCU GREEN LANTERN / THE FLASH team-up movie (while the FLASH television show will likely still be ongoing), I don't think WB is going to be anywhere near as stringent about multiple versions as they were in the past.

All-New Member

Read this article here about how Supergirl could potentially be a part of the Arrow/Flash verse now that CBS has picked it up.

http://dctvuniverse.com/2014/09/supe...c-possability/

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderLad View Post
    Read this article here about how Supergirl could potentially be a part of the Arrow/Flash verse now that CBS has picked it up.

http://dctvuniverse.com/2014/09/supe...c-possability/
    That's interesting.

Yeah, if CW is a subsidiary of CBS, then I don't see why they couldn't connect the shows. It's not like CBS and CW are competitors, in that case.

Cool! I'm all for seeing Kara make a guest appearance on Arrow and/or Flash if it can possibly be done.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KonFan78 View Post
    It is different because Warner Bros. Studios has already made it very clear that their DC cinematic universe will not crossover with any of the TV shows. So no Trinity in any shows, you could probably get away with mentioning them sparsely but that'll be it. Look I'd like nothing better than to have Clark be a guest star from time to time but that's just wishful thinking. Remember how often the creator of Smallville tried to get a young Bruce Wayne or Diana in their show only get rejected time after time. Unlike Marvel's all inclusive cinematic universe DC's is very disjointed, is that good or bad? Guess we'll find out.
    I might be wrong, but I thought you guys were talking about different things. Jon Clark is asking why there has to be a very "permanent" reason for Superman not to show up often (like death), while KonFan78 seems to be talking about why he might not show up at all.

I think this is a different situation than the Smallville situation because here we're talking about family. People who are cousins - particularly the last two members of their family (not to mention the last two members of their race) should logically hang together. In fact, on Smallville, they did make a big deal out of where Kara was going every time she left the show, explaining why she didn't stay there and live with Clark. So in that sense, it could be argued that there really needs to be a big reason why Superman doesn't show up on this show a lot. Not saying it has to be death, but it would be a little harder to justify him staying away from her than it would with Flash and Arrow.

EDIT - now that I read it again, I do see where you guys are having the same conversation - about why he should show up. But my second paragraph is still valid
    Last edited by GlennSimpson; 09-22-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I might be wrong, but I thought you guys were talking about different things. Jon Clark is asking why there has to be a very "permanent" reason for Superman not to show up often (like death), while KonFan78 seems to be talking about why he might not show up at all.

I think this is a different situation than the Smallville situation because here we're talking about family. People who are cousins - particularly the last two members of their family (not to mention the last two members of their race) should logically hang together. In fact, on Smallville, they did make a big deal out of where Kara was going every time she left the show, explaining why she didn't stay there and live with Clark. So in that sense, it could be argued that there really needs to be a big reason why Superman doesn't show up on this show a lot. Not saying it has to be death, but it would be a little harder to justify him staying away from her than it would with Flash and Arrow.
    I think the most likely reason he won't show up is because it dilutes the brand and lessens the character right as they are trying to make him the lynchpin of a multi-billion dollar movie franchise. Until that is up and running I wouldn't expect to see much Clark Kent on TV unless it's animated. I'm sure WB wants to cement the idea that Henry Cavill is Superman. There are plenty of ways they get around him not showing up - the most likely is to just ignore it and focus on Kara with references to her cousin every now and then while he never shows up
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 09-22-2014 at 02:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I think the most likely reason he won't show up is because it dilutes the brand and lessens the character right as they are trying to make him the lynchpin of a multi-billion dollar movie franchise. Until that is up and running I wouldn't expect to see much Clark Kent on TV unless it's animated. I'm sure WB wants to cement the idea that Henry Cavill is Superman. There are plenty of ways they get around him not showing up - the most likely is to just ignore it and focus on Kara with references to her cousin every now and then while he never shows up
    That seems like it would be a hard thing to sell in-story.

I really hope we get the live action debut of Streaky the Supercat!

Hope CBS's SUPERGIRL television show goes for a more practical costume look (no belly shirts):

by TsBranch

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    That's interesting.

Yeah, if CW is a subsidiary of CBS, then I don't see why they couldn't connect the shows. It's not like CBS and CW are competitors, in that case.

Cool! I'm all for seeing Kara make a guest appearance on Arrow and/or Flash if it can possibly be done.
    Still kind of weird CW didn't take this show since it would have been a better fit on that network. Maybe CW feels too saturated with DC shows.