Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

It seems like the sales success and popularity of Gotham Academy, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Grayson, etc., is rightfully driving the business decision to let creators do what they do best, create, and give them the all of the DCU to pitch.

Considering the past challenges and unhappiness some writers and artists had working with the editorial team and DC house-style, it's a good opportunity for them to not only reframe DC to longtime fans and new audiences, but also the writers and artists they need to drive their business.

BANNED

That's a very long-winded way of saying f*ck you to people who prefer classic versions of characters. I will stick with classic reprints, please and thank you.

As for going forward, Superman and Lois Lane had a child in Convergence. I would rather read something like that than the new Superman who is acting like a feminine hygiene product one might use on a summer's eve. For that I have boxes upon boxes of 25 cent Image back issues at comics stores.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The end of Convergence was obvious - things change, things evolve but the core is still the same.

The post-Crisis characters are dead. DC will not touch them. DCs eye is on the future. The future is not the characters from the past. The future is tonal diversity, artistic diversity and protagonist diversity. Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Grayson, Starfire, Gotham Academy, etc. That is the future. Bold ideas and fresh takes mixed in with more traditional comics to create a stronger line up of books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hsalf View Post
    I'm okay with moving forward as long as they can bring back Legion, JSA and the missing members of the Flash family in some capacity.
    I second this especially on the missing Flash Family.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    The end of Convergence was obvious - things change, things evolve but the core is still the same.

The post-Crisis characters are dead. DC will not touch them. DCs eye is on the future. The future is not the characters from the past. The future is tonal diversity, artistic diversity and protagonist diversity. Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Grayson, Starfire, Gotham Academy, etc. That is the future. Bold ideas and fresh takes mixed in with more traditional comics to create a stronger line up of books.
    That's the best way to summon things up.

Also it's kind of funny considering Geoff Johns love for the Silver Age.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

"Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Grayson, Starfire, Gotham Academy, etc." - which is what so many have wanted and it is paying off for DC and fans. Yet, every thread like this gets mucked up by people clamoring for Superman to say "Golly gee willickers" and wear red trunks. You only want YOUR favorite Superman or Lois Lane back folks - there have been dozens (hundreds?) of interpretations of them over the years. There is no going back to "classic Superman" unless you dig Siegel and Schuster out of the ground

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    I don't understand this Didio hate that comes from few vocal comic readers. What he says makes a lot of sense.
    More importantly, I don't understand this compulsion towards wanting Didio to explain EVERYTHING. Surely, a great part of the fun is being surprised.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

As a Superman fan, I don't think the line has been this strong in 15 years.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-09-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    As a Superman fan, I don't think the line has been this strong in 15 years.
    I would even go back as far as the "Triangle" years when *gasp* Dan Jurgens was actually a competent writer. Pak and Kuder might be the best Superman team of this century

Dick Giordano in 1984:

If I were asked to sum up DC's publishing philosophy in two words (and incidentally, no one has asked me to do so), I would have to respond: diversity and commitment. (Er... the similarity between those words initials and our company's name is purely coincidental.) Diversity in genre, diversity in format, diversity in style. We strive to present a variety of styles rather than a standardized (but easier to attain) "house look". We know we could milk the success of TEEN TITANS and LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES by endlessly cloning or spinning off new titles from those (and other) titles. The advantages are obvious. The advantages are also short term. We know we could borrow the success of properties developed by others by licensing. Profitable in the short term..? Maybe. We know we can generate a good chunk of revenue by reprinting everything good and everything not-so-good in our library. Again short term. Instead we choose to build for the future with diverse formats, genres, and styles like CAMELOT 3000, NATHANIEL DUSK, RONIN, THRILLER... yes, even OMEGA MEN, BLUE DEVIL, and VIGILANTE, which, even though the fall into the "favored genre" of super-heroes, try to appeal to different segments of the audience by using a different approach to that "favored genre". Super-heroes make wonderful reading and I wouldn't for a moment suggest that we abandon them. To the contrary, much of our 1985 production will concern itself with the enhancement of all of DC's super-heroes, to redefine our universe and recreate our older characters; to create new characters to populate our universe. But expanding the scope of our audience demands diversity. To meet that demand requires time, patience, money, and a willingness to gamble occasionally. We need to be very active in the solicitation of new ideas. We have to read and examine 15 or 20 presentations for every one we select. I think you'd be surprised at some of the creator names on presentations now sitting on my desk. Our open-door policy and the fact that we do not operate from a preconceived notion of what's doable and what is not is well known to the creative community and they know that, at the least, they and their ideas will be greeted openly and with respect when they come to us. And come to us they do.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 06-09-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    More importantly, I don't understand this compulsion towards wanting Didio to explain EVERYTHING. Surely, a great part of the fun is being surprised.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Personally, I'm not looking for everything to be explained; I'd be happy with just having one thing explained.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

So, we're back to no knowing where DC is going with this except heading forward. There's no way they reopened the Multiverse and don't plan on using those characters again somehow-someway.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I would even go back as far as the "Triangle" years when *gasp* Dan Jurgens was actually a competent writer. Pak and Kuder might be the best Superman team of this century
    Well, this century is pretty much 15 years old, so.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    So, we're back to no knowing where DC is going with this except heading forward. There's no way they reopened the Multiverse and don't plan on using those characters again somehow-someway.
    Well... that's "one interpretation".
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    He did not say that. He said a book is coming directly from convergence and the future will explain the ending but it wasn't a throw away story. He also said currently they are looking forward with their line which for some reason freaks people out