Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    BANNED

This week's issue had a lot of focus on MJ as she reconnected with another BND era character (I think you can all guess which one) and learned of a new support group for the loved ones of heroes called The Lookouts.

It's a pretty blatant rip-off of DC's Sanctuary lol, except it is meant for superhero "supports" instead of the superheroes themselves.

Here's hoping MJ fares better at The Lookups than the redheads at Sanctuary.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Really liked the artist for the MJ sections - Michele Bandini. Dunno if he can pull off the Spidey sections, but if he can, I'd love to see him doing full issues, instead of just Ramos. Though I hope Spencer can keep his scripts far enough ahead so Ottley doesn't need fill ins.

People are drawing a lot of comparisons to Sanctuary, understandably, but this feels unique, to me. It's more like family of military support groups than therapy for the military directly, which is what Sanctuary is supposed to be.

It's definitely going to cause plot problems, though! Otherwise, why include it!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

It can't be a copy of Sanctuary because A. it had to be planned too early, early this year at the very latest, and B. one of Spencer's things with his Marvel work is creating things that would logically exist in the Marvel Universe, but don't. So of course there would be a support group for people related to heroes because they would need it, the same way in Superior Foes he created the support group for failed super villains. They're such unique positions that normal support groups can't deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The Lookups are...

1: Foggy Nelson
    2: Not 100% sure. Wong, maybe?
    3: Peggy Rae Burdick (Scott Lang's ex-wife and mother of Cassie Lang.)
    4: Ganke Lee
    5: Pepper Potts
    6: Willie Lumpkin
    What do we think? Agree? Disagree?

Good calls! I think there's a strong case for all of those identifications, especially given the connections with Spencer's earlier work.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

I think this pretty succinctly displays the different views Mary Jane and Carlie have when it comes to their relationship with Peter in a way it wasn't during BND or the Slott era.
    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Really liked the artist for the MJ sections - Michele Bandini. Dunno if he can pull off the Spidey sections, but if he can, I'd love to see him doing full issues, instead of just Ramos. Though I hope Spencer can keep his scripts far enough ahead so Ottley doesn't need fill ins.
    I was just about to ask about the art because that really didn't look like Ramos.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was just about to ask about the art because that really didn't look like Ramos.
    Haha, yeah. I'm not a huge fan of Ramos's art, though it can be good, so I was actually happy to see fill-in, though I wish they'd schedule other artists for full issues if Ramos just can't keep up.

These are all probably correct. #2 is definitely Wong, Nick was writing him right before ASM.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, yes. But I mean "here's hoping it doesn't touch anything I care about."
    Fair enough; I can understand that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It can't be a copy of Sanctuary because A. it had to be planned too early, early this year at the very latest, and B. one of Spencer's things with his Marvel work is creating things that would logically exist in the Marvel Universe, but don't. So of course there would be a support group for people related to heroes because they would need it, the same way in Superior Foes he created the support group for failed super villains. They're such unique positions that normal support groups can't deal with.
    Well, King had been talking about a "crisis centre for superheroes" since the start of the year. The operated by robots/drones thing could have been added later on.

Anyways, not really complaining. I just hope The Lookups don't suffer the same fate as Sanctuary's patients, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Well, King had been talking about a "crisis centre for superheroes" since the start of the year. The operated by robots/drones thing could have been added later on.

Anyways, not really complaining. I just hope The Lookups don't suffer the same fate as Sanctuary's patients, is all.
    Unless this story ties into an event comic, I don't see how it would. This is still a Spider-Man comic, and a number of those characters are not Spider-Man related. I mean, we saw MJ had been killed in a Jessica Jones comic and she ended up being fine at the end of that issue.

Unless this story ties into an event comic, I don't see how it would. This is still a Spider-Man comic, and a number of those characters are not Spider-Man related. I mean, we saw MJ had been killed in a Jessica Jones comic and she ended up being fine at the end of that issue.
    Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Wait, what?
    It was really odd. I like the idea of the superpowers at work in the issue, but it felt a bit too cheap for the level of pain they were attempting to project in the comic.