Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Journalism integrity my ass. #GamerGate has done more to scare people away from the industry/subculture than bring people in.

If anything, comics already had their own version of #GamerGate. That's the reason why there's such a white straight male majority in terms of creators and formerly of consumers as well.

Comics should be going for the opposite. Embrace diversity of thought and of demographics. Be inclusive to other races, genders, sexuality in terms of employment and product. Turn comics from a subculture to popular culture, and I don't just mean superheroes and zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by MOOT View Post
    We need something like #gamergate to get rid of the SJWs who demonize us fans AND creators ( example : #firerickremender) this outsiders, this intolerant, willfully ignorant armchair activists who aim to tear a venerable , 50 plus years old comics company a new @%%hole everytime that they make a cover that they dont like.
    Good luck, I hope you find Kony.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post

Comics should be going for the opposite. Embrace diversity of thought and of demographics. Be inclusive to other races, genders, sexuality in terms of employment and product. Turn comics from a subculture to popular culture, and I don't just mean superheroes and zombies.
    completly agree, both mediums need more diversity in both characters and creators. I find it funny that comics are still a subculture, and at the same time be the origin of such gigantic mass culture works like TWD tv show, the Nolan Trilogy, the Marvel movie universe, etc. Videogames are much more popular now , but for all their big $$$, they just dont breed that kind of popular adaptations.

Came across an interesting piece on Gamergate by David Hill. The main argument is that it's difficult to have a legitimate conversation on the treatment of fans when some idiots are making death threats.

I've talked to a lot of pro- #GamerGate people over the past few days. I've tried to hear out as many as I could. It was hard. I want to first address why that was hard, then I want to try to address some of the trends between the reasonable, cool people I spoke with.

First off, it's very difficult to wade through the hate. The signal to noise ratio is not good. In fact, it's terrible. If you're reasonable, and you want to have a conversation, it's difficult to do that when the person is hearing ten death threats and thirty insults for every single reasonable message. That mars any perception of credibility for a group that's invested heavily in credibility and ethics.

Now, I've heard a few people say, "Point out the threats and insults when they happen! We'll report those people! They don't speak for us!" I've seen numerous people pointing these threats and harassments out. A couple of very bad times, I saw some people jump in, report, and otherwise shut down the threats. But more often than not (by a wide margin) what I saw was apologism and excuses for the threats and harassment. I saw a lot of "but this time it's warranted!" style messages. That doesn't help anyone. That doesn't build dialogue.

So, if you want to know why there are prominent journalists right now talking about how gamer culture is toxic, and how gamers as a label are dead, this is why. Because even if you're rational, passionate, and wanting good things, your voice is being drowned out by loud, hateful, toxic people.

A couple of days ago, I posted an email from the San Francisco Police Department verifying a police report placed by Anita Sarkeesian. Why? Because a muckraker accused her of lying, and drummed up a BUNCH of hate. His message had over six hundred reshares. His thread had dozens of people talking about how she needs to be imprisoned, how she needs to be shot, and how she's... you get the picture. So, I fact-checked. And I posted the results of that fact-checking. Did I get six hundred people recanting their threats, insults, and accusations? No. I got a couple dozen people threatening me, and a fuckton of people insulting me for DARING to fact-check a journalist. When, mind you, the Gamergate movement is supposedly about holding journalists accountable. Do you know how many messages came up to the effect of, "Oh. I shouldn't have jumped the gun and accused her without the facts?" None. None at all.

So understand why a lot of us say, "This group of people is toxic." It's because a large majority of what we're experiencing is people doing very toxic things. There are some reasonable voices. But from where we stand, they're a stark minority. The movement is about accountability and ethics in journalism, yet the ONLY reaction I got from fact-checking a journalist was hate, denial, threats, and insults. From where I stand, calling Gamergate toxic and hateful isn't a far stretch at all, because it appears to be doing toxic and hateful things.
    This is not something we need in comics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Here is an interesesting article on the cancer known as social justice warriors
    See, when you refer to a group of people as "a cancer" because they have an opinion you disagree with on the internet, that seems like a bit of a demonization and hyperbole. And I think the self-labelled SJW are at times silly, but... "a cancer"?

Decidedly "a bridge to far" on this topic, already.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 09-15-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

We need something like #gamergate to get rid of the SJWs who demonize us fans AND creators ( example : #firerickremender) this outsiders, this intolerant, willfully ignorant armchair activists who aim to tear a venerable , 50 plus years old comics company a new @%%hole everytime that they make a cover that they dont like.

end rant
    ROTFLMAO A sizable portion of demoniization is well earned, Not fire #rickremender* but much of it is real, like the clowns that caused the reboot of the board here

* OH how I hate defending Remender but that hashtag was based on a lie

Half of my twitter feed in the #gamergate tag are female, no egg accounts but real people, mostly young gamers, tech students
    Women can be fools also, that is true equal opportunity.

I don't think there's a right side in all of this. Though the people shouting death threats etc isn't helping any, nor is the other side sweeping it under the rug from people that have legit concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    I don't think there's a right side in all of this.
    There totally is. It's the side where people aren't sending death and rape threats over goddamn video games.

(PS: The concerns are not "legit", and even if they were, Zoe Quinn is not the one whose behavior is concerning.)
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    I don't think there's a right side in all of this. Though the people shouting death threats etc isn't helping any, nor is the other side sweeping it under the rug from people that have legit concerns.
    I think there's a huge difference between death threats and doxxing, and "ignoring" the issue of journalism of gaming.

Video Game journalism has been a concern for a very long time. And there's a way to call attention to that, like the Kane and Lynch situation, among others. What happened with Quinn is the absolutely worse way to attempt that.

But as much of an issue that is, they were not nearly as escalated as the response. There will be plenty of time to really tackle the issues of video game journalism. Very soon at that. Gamergate is a wash. There is a right side, and it's not the one that is still trying to find ways to say that the people responsible for the threats and doxxing weren't them.

BANNED

No we freaking do not. The gamergate nonsense is the most obnoxious thing that's happened to games in years. How about instead of getting caught up in everything that's tied up in judging who is a "gamer" we just be people who play games? How about we just be people who read comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    There totally is. It's the side where people aren't sending death and rape threats over goddamn video games.

(PS: The concerns are not "legit", and even if they were, Zoe Quinn is not the one whose behavior is concerning.)
    Oh yeah the death and rape threats can't be condoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I think there's a huge difference between death threats and doxxing, and "ignoring" the issue of journalism of gaming.

Video Game journalism has been a concern for a very long time. And there's a way to call attention to that, like the Kane and Lynch situation, among others. What happened with Quinn is the absolutely worse way to attempt that.

But as much of an issue that is, they were not nearly as escalated as the response. There will be plenty of time to really tackle the issues of video game journalism. Very soon at that. Gamergate is a wash. There is a right side, and it's not the one that is still trying to find ways to say that the people responsible for the threats and doxxing weren't them.
    Yeah, I haven't followed this as much, just read a few articles here and there from both sides (and mainly the knowyourmeme article, which I can imagine to be biased towards the gamergate side). In any case we'll see what the fallout will be all things considered.

EDIT: Hurm, thought I edited my post, guess not.
    Last edited by Jeremi; 09-15-2014 at 12:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    See, when you refer to a group of people as "a cancer" because they have an opinion you disagree with on the internet, that seems like a bit of a demonization and hyperbole. And I think the self-labelled SJW are at times silly, but... "a cancer"?

Decidedly "a bridge to far" on this topic, already.
    if they act like a disease a call them like a disease, but I understand your point. The thing is, I have no power or intent to screw up the hobbies of the SJWs. Gaming journalists that are sjw have done some awful things like :

give near perfect reviews to average games, not for the game mechanics, presentation or plot, but because of certain political views in said games.

Gaming sites have censor the comments and blocked people when they asked about the allegations of corruption.

On agust 28, more that 10 gaming websites launched a obviously coordinated flood of articles about how "gamers are over" and "gamers are dead"

BANNED

Even the lie that Gamergate is trying to do something about games journalism is misguided misogyny. They only care about games journalism in the context of whether Zoe Quinn had sex. The cozy press release regurgitating relationship games journalists have with game companies is barely mentioned. Heck, the same people who are likely to scream gamergate are the ones that think Nintendo Directs, which are slick commercials for Nintendo products, have made games journalism obsolete.