Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default Thank You Veterans!

Happy Veterans Day! Thank you to all the real heroes serving their country in the military!

Comics have always been a bit a home and escape to troops serving abroad.

Feel free to share pics of your real veteran heroes, or your Marvel comicbook veterans.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 11-11-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Some of my favorite comic book veterans:

The Invaders!

Sgt Fury and the Howling Commandos!

War Machine!

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Happy Veterans dad to my dad! 27yrs in the military

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

An Solemn and Honored Thank You to All of America's Veterans!

Thank You for All you have Given Us & All you have Given in Service to Our Country!

Happy Veterans Day to all in service.

Thanks to all retired vets and to those who are currently serving.

Thanks for all that's been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Happy Veterans dad to my dad! 27yrs in the military
    Happy Veterans day and thanks for his long service!

More Marvel veterans!

By real Vietnam veterans, Doug Murray and Larry Hama!

Ben Grimm

Marvel.com has a great article on Jack Kirby's military service during WWII, with ancedotes from his son Neal Kirby.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/23645/...ans_jack_kirby

Jack Kirby at Camp Stewart in 1944

There's another article on both the characters, and the creators, who were veterans of WWII.

A long list of veterans has helped bring the Marvel Universe to life over its 75-year history. To commemorate Veterans Day, let’s look back on some of the earliest war veterans of Marvel: Carl Burgos, Bill Everett, Joe Simon, Syd Shores, Allen Bellman, Mickey Spillane, Will Harr, Joe Sinnott, Sam Glanzman, Dan DeCarlo, Dave Berg, and Dick Ayers.
    More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/comics/23638/...#ixzz3Ip00pWq1

There's a few paragraphs on Joe Simon's interesting service in the mounted Coast Guard.

In Canada, we call it Remembrance Day, and yesterday honoured in particular our two soldiers that were murdered on home soil this past month. If there are any veterans around these forums: Thank you.

Meant to post here earlier ... but it has been a busy Veteran's Day. Thank you, to all our veterans!

Serendipitously I read the Viet Nam flash back story in the second volume of Preacher. Since that's not Marvel, I'll post this other Garth Ennis book featuring another Marvel comic book veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    In Canada, we call it Remembrance Day, and yesterday honoured in particular our two soldiers that were murdered on home soil this past month. If there are any veterans around these forums: Thank you.
    It's hard to believe it's been a year since that sad day. I didn't realize Canada had their Remembrance Day the same day the US had Veterans' Day.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I helped my dad BBQ ribs today! (thank you dad) Happy Vet's day daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    I helped my dad BBQ ribs today! (thank you dad) Happy Vet's day daddy
    Sounds like a great way to celebrate the day! We went to the parade and called my brother, Army veteran of 22 years.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

It's Armistice Day in France. This thread - so informative when you try to understand comics history (the name of the great Alex Raymond came to my mind...) - is an opportunity to share the "souvenir" and thank all the Veterans - from the USA, Canada and other countries - and their families for the sacrifices and the "help" - so much more than that... - during WWII, and WWI...

(My mother was only 5 years then but used to remember the D-Day and what followed - she lived in Normandy - while my father, older of 3 years, was waiting to perhaps see his dad again - an officer imprisoned in Germany for 5 years... With them, as a kid I've been several times in the Cimetière américain de Colleville-sur-Mer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman...y_and_Memorial - and went back there with students a few years ago. From this small place of American territory in Europa, you can see Omaha Beach and the sea... That's what's on my mind writing this. Enough is said...)
    Last edited by Abe; 11-11-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

This is a Very Important day to Honor, Reflect and Pay Tribute to the Men and Women who choose to give their all to defend and support what we all know and love. Our Country, Our Families, Our Friends, Our Freedoms to live life the way we choose while under the law and constitution they protect.

I can never Thank as many as I can enough and I am always inspired by them and what they sacrificed for use all; from the bottom of my Soul and Being, to all Veterans , Thank You on this Veterans Day 2015 and all days of the Whole of all the Years ever that have happen and that are to come!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!