Page 89 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 3979858687888990919293991391895891089 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 17378
    BANNED

I imagine that filling out a book like that would be quite difficult since you would have to find material that A) people wouldn't already have in some other format and B) is actually worth having. Although it does seem like more of a coffee table book anyway that's not really supposed to be read. DCBS has it for $120 but hell, that's still not close to being reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Well, it looks like amazon.com may just be out of of Captain America by Jack Kirby Omnibus as it states "shipping in 2-5 weeks". There's only one copy left on amazon.co.uk, but still decent prices on the amazon marketplace.
    Thanks for this, btw. I've seen this in pretty much all my long-wait orders from Amazon - I ordered it Monday, received a message on Tuesday that they were able to ascertain the item faster than anticipated (new wait time: one week), received shipping notice on Wed, received it in the mail today in perfect condition.

For anyone tempted by the cheap-comics.com prices, I would say go for it. I've made three orders from them in the past year, two to the UK and one to Australia, and I cannot speak highly enough of their service and prices. For reference, postage was €14 to England and €60 for 10kg (four omnibuses) to Australia. Given the prices here, it was still worth paying the postage.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Final note: sorry for my late night iPad typing. Skip this book.
    Damn, I just placed an order for it since I don't own any of the stories (mainly DC) but your comments have me rethinking whether to return it.

It also cannot be read. My partner and I were looking through it and found the combination of super high gloss paper and the size of the thing require you to move while reading it. It's almost laughable, but slightly forgivable because it comes with free digital.

I will give the team a high five for binding and paper quality. Do this to your omnibuses.

There seems to be a biased fascination with size when it comes to collected editions. I think collectors who consider this adamantium collection a 'must buy' probably have serious size issues themselves.

The only justifiable reason to go for the dinner table aesthetic for collected comics would be when the art supports it (Alex Ross detail in Marvels or Kingdom Come) or in an Artist Edition with full board repros.

All-New Member

Just found a Trial of Captain America omnibus listed on Amazon but can't remember seeing it on any solicits.

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Americ..._bxgy_b_text_y

COLLECTING: CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHO WILL WIELD THE SHIELD? 1; CAPTAIN AMERICA (2005) 602-610; STEVE ROGERS: SUPER-SOLDIER 1-4; CAPTAIN AMERICA (2005) 611-619, 615.1; CAPTAIN AMERICA (2011) 1-10. 944 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    Read an article this morning about the Amazon vs Hachette battle going on. Looks like it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...tw-share&_r=1&
    Funny I just got another e-mail from BAM today with the title: "Hachette Pre-orders 30% Off Online!" Seems like they are really trying to drive into Amazon's Hachette traffic.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Sorry about the headache Balakin

Let us know how much the shipping quote turns out to be. I'm curious. I've never actually ordered from them even though I registered as I always found better deals elsewhere.

The X-Statix Omnibus is at a very good price. It's been on clearance in various retailers since the blowout last year but not everywhere in Europe. I would pick it up in a heartbeat, but it's just not my cup of tea. I know you like that kind of stuff.
    I have ordered a few times from them. Shipping cost to Hugary is 25 Euros/20kg (4-5 omnibus).

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I'm really hesitating, it seems like X-statix is going on clearance everywhere so I should pick it up now. The problem is that I'm gonna move to a new place at the end of the summer and I really should not buy big books like this, because I don't know how many can I move (and I have a few already)
    edit: couldn't resist and just sent an email. No harm in asking.
    Hope they give you a decent shipping price. AS ever it's cheaper the more you buy etc...

I have it and it's NOT worth it, even for the hardcore fan. Everything in it is easily accessible anywhere else. There aren't enough extras. It's hardly as definitive as the Wolverine one. Wolverine I got for my birthday and I love it. I bought this one to make a pair, and I admit, while I got a discount, it was a stupid decision.

It also cannot be read. My partner and I were looking through it and found the combination of super high gloss paper and the size of the thing require you to move while reading it. It's almost laughable, but slightly forgivable because it comes with free digital.

If you are an x-men fan and don't have god loves man kills, days of future past or The X-men 57-59 AND you find this book on clearance then MaYBe.

The inclusion of the first arcs from Morrison, Whedon and Bendis are fine but really fit better with the runs they belong to. The painful part of it is the Issue where they move to San Fran. God I hated that nonsense.

I think everyone who posts here could put together a good collection, maybe a better one, but the issues here (except for San Fran) are good.

I will give the team a high five for binding and paper quality. Do this to your omnibuses.

Now that's what I like in a review--sheer honesty!

I also totally question why Bendis is included in a book of supposed X-Men classics. What a joke! What longtime X-Men fan, would seriously have requested those issues to be included?
    Last edited by DrGregatron; 05-24-2014 at 07:23 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcauburn View Post
    Just found a Trial of Captain America omnibus listed on Amazon but can't remember seeing it on any solicits.

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Americ..._bxgy_b_text_y

COLLECTING: CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHO WILL WIELD THE SHIELD? 1; CAPTAIN AMERICA (2005) 602-610; STEVE ROGERS: SUPER-SOLDIER 1-4; CAPTAIN AMERICA (2005) 611-619, 615.1; CAPTAIN AMERICA (2011) 1-10. 944 pages.
    Talked about several pages back, exciting stuff! It was in the Hachette catalogue!

Also, seeing that picture of just how much larger the Adamantium Collections are over even the Library Editions, no thanks. That's wayyyyyy to big for this guy.

Somethings I'd like to add about the Adamantium Collections for those who are on the fence.
    -The art is great, and doesn't suffer from being so enlarged.
    -The wolverine one is definitely (mostly) the best of Wolverine, while the X-Men one is more of a timeline
    -A big annoyance of the book; The pages of the comics don't fill the pages of the collections. There is a three centimeter black space to the side of each page where the place the page number (of the collection not the comic) which you can see in one of the pics I posted.
    -The wolverine digital edition comes as separate arcs and issues. The X-men one comes as one big comic. It goes right from days of future past to Uncanny 500. One issue, but that the one issue in the thing I don't wanna run into early.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    The only justifiable reason to go for the dinner table aesthetic for collected comics would be when the art supports it (Alex Ross detail in Marvels or Kingdom Come) or in an Artist Edition with full board repros.
    These books are so huge that it's almost a requirement to read them at a table. The selling point for me on this book was having some John Cassaday, Frank Quitely and Jim Lee art in huge size.

Somethings I'd like to add about the Adamantium Collections for those who are on the fence.
    -The art is great, and doesn't suffer from being so enlarged.
    For a book like this, would they have gone back to the original art and rescanned it (or whatever it is they do?) I remember seeing a comparison between the sheet the artists work with and the Adamantium Collection and they're pretty similar in size.
    Last edited by Wasp14; 05-24-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Spectacular Member Cerd the nerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Talked about several pages back, exciting stuff! It was in the Hachette catalogue!

Also, seeing that picture of just how much larger the Adamantium Collections are over even the Library Editions, no thanks. That's wayyyyyy to big for this guy.
    I agree. They're just too big!

None of my bookcases are tall enough to house them, which means building or buying new ones just for those books.

Not gonna happen.

Fantastic Member

Yeah that Adamantium edition is too big even for me - and I love big books. I don't have much trouble reading Colossal Conan but that's about as big as I want to go. Once you get to a certain size, it pretty much requires something like a drafting table to read them at...