Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default When should SHAZAM! enter the picture in DC continuity?

One question that seldom gets discussed, but presents an interesting dilemma, is when the SHAZAM! franchise should make its first entry in DC continuity.

Pre-COIE, it was relatively easy: the Golden Age Fawcett Comics SHAZAM! adventures took place on Earth-S during the 1940s, as originally published, but had no contact with the rest of the DC Multiverse until the 1970s, when Captain Marvel and his cohorts first began crossing over with the DC heroes of Earth-One and Earth-Two, etc.

Post-COIE, it appears as if the SHAZAM! franchise was entirely absent/nonexistent until shortly before LEGENDS: in other words, Captain Marvel, et. al., would not have participated in the First Crisis or any adventures that took place before that point in the Post-COIE timeline. Like the Wonder Woman of that continuity, Captain Marvel was a newcomer during the timeframe of LEGENDS and had never encountered Barry Allen's Flash (who had died before Billy Batson gained the Power of Shazam) or Dick Grayson's Robin (who was already Nightwing).

With the New 52 and REBIRTH, the waters have become muddied. What is the status of SHAZAM! in current continuity? When did Shazam's career begin relative to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash (Barry), etc.? Did he begin when they did (highly improbable, because Billy and his friends remain children/adolescents) or just recently (more likely, but this pretty much keeps Shazam awkwardly stuck in a perpetual status quo of being a newbie hero)?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

If I were DC I would put Shazam right around the time Robin started the New Teen Titans and Have Billy be a bit young like 10-12 range as I’m NOT a fan of teenage Billy of the new 52 or as I call him Punk Billy.

Also have Shazam be his ideal adult self and not a kid in an adult body.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    ... in DC continuity.
    There is DC continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    There is DC continuity?

I think they're still trying...though they seem to get worse and worse at it by the month.

Astonishing Member

He has to be one of the newer heroes by necessity, because Billy Batson is a kid.

As far as I can tell, Rebirth Shazam! is just picking up where the New 52 version left off.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Shazam! should have it's own continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Shazam! should have it's own continuity.
    Bring back Earth-S!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

My belief is that the entire Shazam mythos exist outside the normal flow of history, much like the Rock of Eternity exists removed from the Earths of the Orrey at the center of the Multiverse.

Billy being chosen to summon the power of Shazam is a magic spell that keeps getting cast over and over across different points in history, like an echo in time that keeps repeating itself.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    He has to be one of the newer heroes by necessity, because Billy Batson is a kid.

As far as I can tell, Rebirth Shazam! is just picking up where the New 52 version left off.
    Actually, the YOUNG JUSTICE animated series has done a good job in dealing with SHAZAM!/Captain Marvel. For one, Captain Marvel is still called "Captain Marvel", two, Billy started his career three years after Dick Grayson became "Robin" (and became a Justice League member with Batman's approval, who knew of Billy's secret identity), and three, Billy has aged in real time (in the latest season of the show, Billy is 17 years old and bit more seasoned). So, in terms of a timeline, I would use the Young Justice continuity.

Incredible Member

I think Shazam/Cap Marvel should come along a few years after Superman and the others appear. I really like the idea that Billy was a bit of a superhero fanboy and not only does he now have godly powers but he gets to fight alongside his idols. It adds to the wish fulfillment aspect of Shazam. Being a kid and getting to change into a superhero by saying a magic word is amazing already, but also getting to team up with Superman, Batman, and the rest of the League is icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think Shazam/Cap Marvel should come along a few years after Superman and the others appear. I really like the idea that Billy was a bit of a superhero fanboy and not only does he now have godly powers but he gets to fight alongside his idols. It adds to the wish fulfillment aspect of Shazam. Being a kid and getting to change into a superhero by saying a magic word is amazing already, but also getting to team up with Superman, Batman, and the rest of the League is icing on the cake.
    To go along with that, and before Jon Kent was aged up, it would have been fun seeing the Super Sons team up with the Marvel family.

There were no Golden Age SHAZAM! adventures. There were Golden Age Captain Marvel adventures. Marvel can't sue you for correctly recalling history.

One problem about that question is that Billy Batson has very little wiggle room in terms of his age. Other teens who have been introduced in DC have been allowed to age. Billy can't really age up - he pretty much always has to be a "kid." It would be great if CM were around at the beginning near when Superman was for historical verisimilitude, but by the 15 yr timeframe, he'd be an adult by now. Perhaps if part of the enchantment was that he was forever a kid one could get away with it, or say that he's had powers from the age of 6 to 18?... but otherwise, maybe he just has to stay on his own parallel reality where time moves differently than the main DCU.

Extraordinary Member

I think the new 52 Billy has already in his origin reached about the maximum age he can have, it just doesn't make much sense to have him older than that.
    It would probably be the best to have him on his own earth were time just progresses much slower than on prime earth, than have just occasional cross overs.