Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Way off topic, but shout out to Regina King for winning the Emmy for Watchmen. Some of the Watchmen comic fans may not have appreciated the social messages that underpinned the HBO series, but I thought Ms. King and the rest of the cast did phenomenal work. If you haven't watched HBO's Watchmen, do yourself a favor and check it out. It is edifying entertainment.

PS: Marvel, take notes. Blue Marvel's story in the right hands could receive similar critical acclaim. Think of Adam as the Bass Reeves of the superhero community.

PS PS: Shout out to Yahya Abdul-Mateen II also on his Emmy win for Watchmen.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-20-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Wait, how old is Sentry? Because last I recall, Rogue wasn't that old. When she was introduced she was only a teen back in Avengers Annual, wasn't she? And for some reason I had the impression that Sentry had been around since the 1960s. He was the reason why Galactus didn't eat the Earth back before the FF got their start, wasn't he???

Bob's meant to be in his 40s or so.

And no, he's not the reason Galactus didn't eat earth before the FF. The only Galactus fight mentioned is that he 'stalemated him once', and that was apparently alongside Nate Grey. No timeline was given for when that occurred.

Remender more or less got rid of the Rogue thing when he had Sentry show up in Uncanny Avengers.

Fallen Sun is bad. The first rule of Fallen Sun is we don't talk about Fallen Sun. xD
    Last edited by Tendrin; 09-20-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

And no, he's not the reason Galactus didn't eat earth before the FF. The only Galactus fight mentioned is that he 'stalemated him once', and that was apparently alongside Nate Grey. No timeline was given for when that occurred.

Remender more or less got rid of the Rogue thing when he had Sentry show up in Uncanny Avengers.

Fallen Sun is bad. The first rule of Fallen Sun is we don't talk about Fallen Sun. xD
    Yeah, that Rogue thing was especially classless

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, that Rogue thing was especially classless
    I'm not sure what Jenkins and this isn't really the thread for it.

Thanks! I had the impression that Bob was older than most of the heroes, but I didn't know how old. Count your blessings that they didn't give him the Reed Richards/J. Jonah Jameson hairstyle to indicate his age, like they did with Blue Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Thanks! I had the impression that Bob was older than most of the heroes, but I didn't know how old. Count your blessings that they didn't give him the Reed Richards/J. Jonah Jameson hairstyle to indicate his age, like they did with Blue Marvel.
    I honestly like that on BM. A clear sign of his age

Yeah, he's only ever referred to as 'middle aged', which would mean 45+, but this being marvel they're never gonna give an exact age and he's immortal anyway. :P

Astonishing Member

So do I.

Way off topic, but shout out to Regina King for winning the Emmy for Watchmen. Some of the Watchmen comic fans may not have appreciated the social messages that underpinned the HBO series, but I thought Ms. King and the rest of the cast did phenomenal work. If you haven't watched HBO's Watchmen, do yourself a favor and check it out. It is edifying entertainment.

PS: Marvel, take notes. Blue Marvel's story in the right hands could receive similar critical acclaim. Think of Adam as the Bass Reeves of the superhero community.

PS PS: Shout out to Yahya Abdul-Mateen II also on his Emmy win for Watchmen.
    Regina King has long been one of the best actresses on the planet.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Regina King has long been one of the best actresses on the planet.
    Agreed. She'd make the perfect Monica Rambeau. Or Misty Knight.

I'm partial to the idea that the dilemma that he faced when he was younger hasn't changed much in the 80+ years that he's walked the Earth, so his physical appearance should reflect that. If the struggle is timeless and forever new, then Adam should look equally timeless and young. But I get why people prefer that he look like an older gentleman. It stirs hope that a generational change will occur...eventually.

Yeah, he's only ever referred to as 'middle aged', which would mean 45+, but this being marvel they're never gonna give an exact age and he's immortal anyway. :P
    I pegged him for around 50, but you're right: age doesn't matter when you're immortal.

SPOILERS. Stop reading now if you don't want to know what happened in Doctor Doom #7. I'm too pissed off to hide anything.

To recap, Reed asked Adam to pursue Doom with an eye to getting Victor's help with resolving the Black Hole on the Moon. Reed earlier indicated that Adam is likely as smart as Doom, which makes me wonder why Reed and Adam couldn't solve the issue, but whatever. At any rate Doom formulates a plan that Adam is to execute by entering the event horizon and using his antimatter energies to expunge the black hole. We get an appearance from Adam's daughter, Adrienne, but other than helping Adam with putting his suit on, apparently her genius played no role in resolving the issue either. This basically comes down to Doom figuring out how to solve it and Adam being the gopher. Anyway, Adam enters the event horizon needing a suit. Contrast that with several other characters like, say, Adam Warlock, who have flown into black holes without any special armor. Apparently, any time Adam goes anywhere he needs a suit, whether it's the Neutral Zone or a black hole. Anyway... Adam churns out all the negative energy at his command, but -- surprise, surprise -- he runs out of energy. Let me remind the gallery that Adam and Anti-Man share the same link to a limitless energy source/event horizon. But apparently when Adam is the one tapping it, it's not so limitless after all. Doom's math is right, but Adam being the right "cosmic" powerhouse to solve the problem is where this plan goes sideways. Wow. So there Adam drifts, depleted of all of his anti-matter energy until Otto Octavius shows up, presumably from an alternate Earth, sent there by "World Minister Doom" to aid in closing the black hole. The issue ends, "To be continued."

To summarize, apparently Adam is neither smart nor powerful enough to solve a cosmic challenge as relatively mundane as mending a small black hole and he should probably leave the intellectual heavy lifting to Reed, Doom and apparently Otto, and the massively cosmic scale feats to Sentry, Thor, Silver Surfer and others. Message received loud and clear, gentlemen. (Who needs microaggressions when you can just belittle the brother on panel?)

That said, if you're one for just seeing Blue Marvel on panel in any capacity, skip on over to your local comics store or Comixology. This one's right up your alley. It sounds like Adam is going to do what the Doors said and "break on through to the other side" with alternate Earth Otto Octavius riding shotgun. There are only three issues remaining as the Doctor Doom series ends with issue #10. That's possibly three more chances to see Worldbreaker Blue Marvel, er, I mean Rune King Blue Marvel, no, wait, what I meant to say was God Emperor Adam, no, that's not quite right, either. I meant The Immortal Blue Marvel... dammit, no, no, wrong, wrong, wrong. Well, hell with it, you know what I mean! Chop, chop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SPOILERS. Stop reading now if you don't want to know what happened in Doctor Doom #7. I'm too pissed off to hide anything.

To recap, Reed asked Adam to pursue Doom with an eye to getting Victor's help with resolving the Black Hole on the Moon. Reed earlier indicated that Adam is likely as smart as Doom, which makes me wonder why Reed and Adam couldn't solve the issue, but whatever. At any rate Doom formulates a plan that Adam is to execute by entering the event horizon and using his antimatter energies to expunge the black hole. We get an appearance from Adam's daughter, Adrienne, but other than helping Adam with putting his suit on, apparently her genius played no role in resolving the issue either. This basically comes down to Doom figuring out how to solve it and Adam being the gopher. Anyway, Adam enters the event horizon needing a suit. Contrast that with several other characters like, say, Adam Warlock, who have flown into black holes without any special armor. Apparently, any time Adam goes anywhere he needs a suit, whether it's the Neutral Zone or a black hole. Anyway... Adam churns out all the negative energy at his command, but -- surprise, surprise -- he runs out of energy. Let me remind the gallery that Adam and Anti-Man share the same link to a limitless energy source/event horizon. But apparently when Adam is the one tapping it, it's not so limitless after all. Doom's math is right, but Adam being the right "cosmic" powerhouse to solve the problem is where this plan goes sideways. Wow. So there Adam drifts, depleted of all of his anti-matter energy until Otto Octavius shows up, presumably from an alternate Earth, sent there by "World Minister Doom" to aid in closing the black hole. The issue ends, "To be continued."

To summarize, apparently Adam is neither smart nor powerful enough to solve a cosmic challenge as relatively mundane as mending a small black hole and he should probably leave the intellectual heavy lifting to Reed, Doom and apparently Otto, and the massively cosmic scale feats to Sentry, Thor, Silver Surfer and others. Message received loud and clear, gentlemen. (Who needs microaggressions when you can just belittle the brother on panel?)

That said, if you're one for just seeing Blue Marvel on panel in any capacity, skip on over to your local comics store or Comixology. This one's right up your alley. It sounds like Adam is going to do what the Doors said and "break on through to the other side" with alternate Earth Otto Octavius riding shotgun. There are only three issues remaining as the Doctor Doom series ends with issue #10. That's possibly three more chances to see Worldbreaker Blue Marvel, er, I mean Rune King Blue Marvel, no, wait, what I meant to say was God Emperor Adam, no, that's not quite right, either. I meant The Immortal Blue Marvel... dammit, no, no, wrong, wrong, wrong. Well, hell with it, you know what I mean! Chop, chop.
    Maybe we can tweet the writer of this series and let him know that Blue Marvel should not be running out of energy. Who's the writer?
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 09-24-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Maybe we can tweet the writer of this series and let him know that Blue Marvel should not be running out of energy. Who's the writer?
    There's no point in that. What's done is done. The best we can hope for at this point is that before it's all said and done the writer redeems Blue Marvel in some way with the literary equivalent of the "rope a dope." Adam takes his shots in the early rounds, but finishes strong justifying why he was used in the story.

If not, oh well. Maybe the next writer to use BM will lend a more accurate, if not favorable, pen.