Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    How do they explain Magneto not being in his 90's being a holocausts survivor. Even though he was a kid at the time that still puts him in his 80's
    Magneto exists to remind everyone of the ever present danger of genocide. It's not something relegated to ancient history or WWII. Google the term and you'll see valid reports of genocidal practices being carried out around the world today.

I'm not quite sure why they never bothered to make Erik immortal after the concept of Externals was introduced. All it would have taken is a simple retconning of Erik's origin. Something to the effect that he actually died at Auschwitz as a child, to be resurrected in the mass grave as an immortal. I think a story like that would only add to Erik's trauma and his legend. It would also bring an end to all of the various contrivances and plot twists designed to de-age him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Iron Man origin was updated already.
    Flash Thompson's history was already updated from Vietnam to Afghanistan, so Iron Man's most definitely was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Flash Thompson's history was already updated from Vietnam to Afghanistan, so Iron Man's most definitely was.
    I did not know that. I am still in the 70's with most of my comic reading lol
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Makes me wonder what will happen in the future when Afghanistan is too old for them to use.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Makes me wonder what will happen in the future when Afghanistan is too old for them to use.
    Sadly, as long as capitalism exists, the military-industrial complex will continue to exist and you can always 'update the war'.

Also even if Afghanistan soon comes to an end, conflicts in other parts of the Middle-East will probably continue for a while (again, sadly).

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    That sounds terrible. How does cloning resurrect her?
    Read the Marvel Legacy miniseries Tales of Suspense: Hawkeye and the Winter Soldier #100-104. It's almost the same method as the X-Men use, they clone the body, and then implant her memories into it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Magneto and his (then) entire Brotherhood got de-aged to infants in a Defenders story that came along while the X-Men's title was on hiatus. Claremont had a Shiar agent re-age him to his physical prime early in his run. They can get away with Xavier being his contemporary because Xavier inhabits a cloned body after his original was consumed by The Brood.

Still, I see your point. What's more as WWII fades out of the lived experience and even 2nd-hand stories of the public, tying characters to it (other than Captain America and The Winter Soldier) grows problematic. I tend to agree with opinions I've heard that Magneto's heritage should be vague, so that he can reflect a wide array of persecuted peoples.
    I would argue the specific historical grounding gives his backstory so much more emphasis. That being said, this is a problem for film adaptations. Comics don't have to do anything because (a) the explanation for his age has already been addressed and (b) they already did his origin story. Anyone who wants to read a story about Magneto in World War II can read Magneto Testament. There's no need to do the story over again.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Marvel isn't using Afghanistan as an update for most of the war based backgrounds (the major WWII characters excepted). They created their own fictional war, the Sin Cong war in History of the Marvel Universe.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-vietnam-war-sin-cong/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Incredible Member

The Punisher is quintessentially a character of the 1970s due to his association with the Vietnam War.

Daredevil can largely fit in any era, but he fits best in the 1970s because that's when the Mafia was most active in NYC. Ditto to Luke Cage and Iron Fist, since they were inspired by movie genres(Blaxploitation and Kung Fu) most popular during that decade.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    The Punisher is quintessentially a character of the 1970s due to his association with the Vietnam War.

Daredevil can largely fit in any era, but he fits best in the 1970s because that's when the Mafia was most active in NYC. Ditto to Luke Cage and Iron Fist, since they were inspired by movie genres(Blaxploitation and Kung Fu) most popular during that decade.
    The only reason Punisher can’t work in WWII is how easily PTSD is glossed over and how “heroic” everyone involved was.

Astonishing Member

Sadly, as long as capitalism exists, the military-industrial complex will continue to exist and you can always 'update the war'.

Also even if Afghanistan soon comes to an end, conflicts in other parts of the Middle-East will probably continue for a while (again, sadly).
    Because wars began with capitalism?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Because wars began with capitalism?
    Capitalism and the MIC are the #1 cause for why industrialists like Tony Stark get involved in wars. His whole character arc in his origin revolves around this too.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I would say that in light of space exploration and travel nowadays being (at least partly) funded by private corporate entities, that could be a way to keep the "space explorer" aspect of the Fantastic Four's origin and yet make it more relevant to the 21st century, mainly in the form of, "Is this going to ultimately benefit humanity as a whole, or is it just going to be reserved for an elite few to reap the most rewards?"
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Capitalism and the MIC are the #1 cause for why industrialists like Tony Stark get involved in wars. His whole character arc in his origin revolves around this too.
    I don’t remember the communists being very peaceful. I won’t mention any names. USSR, China, North Korea, Vietnam. Did I forget any? As for the Middle East? They have been fighting for 5000 years. Long before capitalism was around. Take your politics somewhere else.

Without that military complex free people would be attacked and killed from tyrannical governments. Those that don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it. You really should take your politics somewhere else. This is a comic book forum. I might add without capitalism there would be no comic books. You would be reading tyrannical propaganda. I’ll stick with capitalism and freedom to read whatever I want.