Page 398 of 827 FirstFirst ... 298348388394395396397398399400401402408448498 ... LastLast
Results 5,956 to 5,970 of 12394
    Extraordinary Member

Yeah I remember reading an Hawkman issue where he was a black Egyptian in a past life. So makes sense.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Watching Lovecraft Country. Maybe it's me but I found the racism much more horrifying than any of the monsters the main guys faced. And Courtney B Vance is turning into the black Sean Bean (wink wink).

All this being said, is there some edict that there has to be black male nudity on these tv series? Between Altered Carbon, Watchmen, Power and now this, I'm a little tired of seeing naked black men on tv.
    Gotta say I agree with this. And now I'm watching The Boys and of course it's the black man who has to have a giant dick wrapped around his neck. Yeah I'm pretty much done with all this bullshit.,

A live action Peter Pan? A black tinkerbell is an interesting idea, but I wonder what they're going to do with Tiger Lily and her tribe?

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    A live action Peter Pan? A black tinkerbell is an interesting idea, but I wonder what they're going to do with Tiger Lily and her tribe?
    They better not get rid of them, just correct the stereotypes. There are so few Native American roles in Hollywood, removing the few there actually is would suck

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So I read Ms Marvel with Kamala Khan and posted my thoughts on the series in her thread in the Marvel board. I really enjoyed it. I had never seen a Muslim hero or never had seen media with Muslims where they were not the typical kill America terrorist's or joke characters who cant fit into American society. So reading her was very pleasant.

I have not read many comics with a minority as the lead. I read mostly 60s and 70s Marvel which did have Storm as a member of The Xmen and Black Panther as a member of The Avengers but they were not main characters in the sense it focused on them and their life. And also Golden age Dc which have no POC unless they are used in racist stereotypical ways.

I was wondering what are some good comics with minorities that not just focus on the hero but also the home life of the hero. I really enjoyed seeing how Kamala interacted with her family and those around her.

Thanks for the help.
    Watch Legends of Tomorrow, Zari became the first Muslim team member seasons ago and is a wonderful character.

Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury will be in a Disney Plus series.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/nick-fury-ri...rin-1845182168

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    BM cast as Hawkman, BW cast as Tinkerbell and Jonathan Majors hinting at Kang... Twitter's about to blow up.
    Facts now they just need to cass Doctor Fate correctly

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    You should hang around Black Tumblr. PLENTY of love for Black men there.

The scrawny guys crowd tend to be fandom types in my experience.
    Wait. There's a Black Tumblr?

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Facts now they just need to cass Doctor Fate correctly
    I'd be all for them starting right with Khalid, either Earth-2's Ben-Hasin if they want to skew slightly older (mid-20s) and more established, or DC You's Nassour if they want to skew slightly younger (very late teens to early 20s) and more getting his stuff together.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-26-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

Blipster Tumblr
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Just make them the remnants of an actual N.A. tribe that fortunately survived genocide by getting whisked off to Peter's turf.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Gotta say I agree with this. And now I'm watching The Boys and of course it's the black man who has to have a giant dick wrapped around his neck. Yeah I'm pretty much done with all this bullshit.,
    What's worse is the way the black characters are treated narratively. Mother's Milk is the only one of the "heroes" who has not had any kind of subplot going on; he's just kind of there, while every other character has gotten some kind of story arc. Add to this the problem of spending so much time this season fleshing out a literal Nazi character ... consider how much screen time she has gotten, and how much characterization they've poured into a character they've shown just straight slaughtering black people without having any consequence whatsoever. I won't bother complaining about how unrealistic it is that none of the survivors from the apartment building could point out how they saw who was doing all the killing, because there's really just a lot that defies suspension of disbelief in this show. I will say it's a problem that the people making the show choose to spend so much more time trying to depict complexity and character nuance for characters who are racial nightmares while having hardly any characters of color, and specifically spending like zero of their time giving any character development to their couple of token black characters. They really give MM pretty much nothing to do besides serve as an opportunity for the other characters to express what they are going through.

Then there's the problem of A-Train, who they decided to race swap I guess to give a little more diversity to their very white cast ... except, then the only subplot they could come up for him was to make him a drug addict. Like, they should really be ashamed of how insultingly stereotypical it is, that that is the only thing they would come up with as characterization for a black character. Then, they made him an unrepentant murderer on top of it ... not that it should matter, seeing as pretty much all the characters on this show are murderers, but for other characters we are not meant to hate, they spend a lot of time (inconsistently) trying to show them having some kind of remorse ... A-Train's subplot post having him almost die from his addiction and being saved by white characters who should have no sympathy for him (to show how "good" those characters are) has been to show how pathetic he has been, still. Like, just consider on the other hand how much time they've spent with all the crap with the Deep, a character I still find it pretty impossible to have any sympathy for. He has an entire personal subplot going, separate from most of anything going on with the more central narrative; enough so it apparently begins to sweep in A-Train.

Honestly, I'm kind of not even sure why I'm bothering to hate-watch this show. I wasn't especially a fan of comics version of the Boys anyway, and it's not like I think the show has any more redeeming qualities.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    What's worse is the way the black characters are treated narratively. Mother's Milk is the only one of the "heroes" who has not had any kind of subplot going on; he's just kind of there, while every other character has gotten some kind of story arc. Add to this the problem of spending so much time this season fleshing out a literal Nazi character ... consider how much screen time she has gotten, and how much characterization they've poured into a character they've shown just straight slaughtering black people without having any consequence whatsoever. I won't bother complaining about how unrealistic it is that none of the survivors from the apartment building could point out how they saw who was doing all the killing, because there's really just a lot that defies suspension of disbelief in this show. I will say it's a problem that the people making the show choose to spend so much more time trying to depict complexity and character nuance for characters who are racial nightmares while having hardly any characters of color, and specifically spending like zero of their time giving any character development to their couple of token black characters. They really give MM pretty much nothing to do besides serve as an opportunity for the other characters to express what they are going through.

Then there's the problem of A-Train, who they decided to race swap I guess to give a little more diversity to their very white cast ... except, then the only subplot they could come up for him was to make him a drug addict. Like, they should really be ashamed of how insultingly stereotypical it is, that that is the only thing they would come up with as characterization for a black character. Then, they made him an unrepentant murderer on top of it ... not that it should matter, seeing as pretty much all the characters on this show are murderers, but for other characters we are not meant to hate, they spend a lot of time (inconsistently) trying to show them having some kind of remorse ... A-Train's subplot post having him almost die from his addiction and being saved by white characters who should have no sympathy for him (to show how "good" those characters are) has been to show how pathetic he has been, still. Like, just consider on the other hand how much time they've spent with all the crap with the Deep, a character I still find it pretty impossible to have any sympathy for. He has an entire personal subplot going, separate from most of anything going on with the more central narrative; enough so it apparently begins to sweep in A-Train.

Honestly, I'm kind of not even sure why I'm bothering to hate-watch this show. I wasn't especially a fan of comics version of the Boys anyway, and it's not like I think the show has any more redeeming qualities.
    Yeah I pretty much expected the show to be **** going in based on the source material. That being said it turned out to be entertaining up until a point. I didn't even really mind MM not having a subplot. He wasn't a pos like Butcher nor mentally broken or traumatized like the other characters on the show. So I was cool with it, to me he was the strongest character keeping it together while everybody was breaking down. But yeah now they come with this ****. As always gotta violate a brother on some bullshit.

But yeah I agree trying to humanize a character like Stormfront is off-putting. Like what are they trying to accomplish with that? They already showed her randomly killing hundreds of black people and this is a thing she's been doing her whole career. Not sure where they're going with this show but I won't be checking in on it much. That's for sure.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    YES.....

You have to be careful going into it at times. It can be a bit too adult at times.

It can be very educational and informative when need to be.

I have gotten more drawing ideas from there as well.

And love for black heroes-will show you how much money DC and Marvel is NOT getting by not tossing out merchandise with black heroes.

I know that is where I saw the custom Static Jordans.

Duke Thomas fan art is there.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Blipster Tumblr
    Never heard of any Black hipsters but I've seen tumblrs dedicated to fashion and beauty with Black men and women. LGBTQ Black people as well along with just about every subject out there. Tumblr gets stereotyped as a place full of people who are quick to judge but I guess I hang around areas where people like that aren't around. 'Course, the site also has a problem with neo-Nazi types but that's the case for much of the Anglophone Internet. Not sure if the people who own Wordpress have allowed for 18+ content again though.

Like with most sites, Tumblr has people of all kinds.