Page 94 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1583

When we had that EvilVikingLoki glimpse into the past, about Erika the Red, Loki was surprised that even after her death, Thor would still want to hang out on Midgard; he said how mortals will always bring you pain. It seemed like it was experience talking. It would be plausible if it turned out that PregnantLadyLoki myth was behind that.

Yeah that was my thought as well, it would make sense. Like his line of thinking there may have been like 'my mortal lover died and that made me turn against humanity, so it would do the same for Thor as well' except it didn't, Thor took away the message that you should spend more time with mortals because their time is short. So really to make the change in his attitude since those times really clear, the story should have both the bit set in the past with the mortal family, who died cus mortals, which caused him to stop caring about mortals in general, and then him getting involved with a mortal again in the present. It would show he had learned he was wrong all those years ago. There have been a couple here and there, I know, but nothing that was given a lot of panel time, if it got any panel time at all, so we don't know if he cared for them or not, really. Or it just never got very far, like Zelma. There have been mortal friends like Verity but I am kinda thinking romantically specifically.
    Last edited by Raye; 10-20-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Loki witnessing his mortal children die would be also the explanation behind his superficial or nonexistent relationship with his following children (well, other than him being a terrible person ). One can recover after the loss of a lover, but the loss of a child is literally the most devastating experience a person can live through and there's no recovering from that.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karabaja View Post
    Loki witnessing his mortal children die would be also the explanation behind his superficial or nonexistent relationship with his following children (well, other than him being a terrible person ). One can recover after the loss of a lover, but the loss of a child is literally the most devastating experience a person can live through and there's no recovering from that.
    So them have Loki be the mom of Nari and Vari? (Sorry I I spell their names wrong.)

Could be, but it doesn't necessarily have to be them, Loki himself has said he has had dozens of children. A consequence of being immortal. Some of them were with mortals, even. But the difference in my mind is that he stayed with the family back in the middle ages, the later ones were apparently just kinda flings and were abandoned afterward. Distinction between sex and love.
    Last edited by Raye; 10-21-2019 at 10:24 AM.

New interview: https://www.comicsbeat.com/interview...l-kibblesmith/

I'm not sure if I agree that 'most' people reading it are coming from the movies, I think a big thing with Loki's story since JIM in particular is that it kind of produced a good number of dedicated fans, who have continued to follow the character, and I think that is likely the bulk of the people reading the book, I'm sure some are movie fans, sure, and some readers of JIM etc. probably checked that out because of the movie, but... just saying I don't think you have to go for movie synergy here. Though I do think kinda making a break where people can jump on without having to do homework by catching up on JiM onward is a good idea, just... keep all that in there as part of where he came from too, I think most people are smart enough to realize that there will be differences between the comics and movies and be ok with that.

Other than that tho, good stuff. and it's nice that he's talking 'long term goals' even tho the most recent sales figures were.... not great... but this interview was done during NYCC, so not that long ago, and at that point I think he would have already known if it was going to be cancelled after issue 5. I hope that maybe Cates can do something to help elevate this book and get people to give it a look.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    New interview: https://www.comicsbeat.com/interview...l-kibblesmith/

I'm not sure if I agree that 'most' people reading it are coming from the movies, I think a big thing with Loki's story since JIM in particular is that it kind of produced a good number of dedicated fans, who have continued to follow the character, and I think that is likely the bulk of the people reading the book, I'm sure some are movie fans, sure, and some readers of JIM etc. probably checked that out because of the movie, but... just saying I don't think you have to go for movie synergy here. Though I do think kinda making a break where people can jump on without having to do homework by catching up on JiM onward is a good idea, just... keep all that in there as part of where he came from too, I think most people are smart enough to realize that there will be differences between the comics and movies and be ok with that.

Other than that tho, good stuff. and it's nice that he's talking 'long term goals' even tho the most recent sales figures were.... not great... but this interview was done during NYCC, so not that long ago, and at that point I think he would have already known if it was going to be cancelled after issue 5. I hope that maybe Cates can do something to help elevate this book and get people to give it a look.
    Good interview.

I think it probably might just look that way because the movie fans are the most vocal online so it's often now just assumed that most Loki fans, even Comic Loki, are mostly come from fans of the movie. It's like how it's often accepted that Loki's change was because of the movies and wasn't done before the movies, which was not the case of course.

They weren't great but then I think Loki will always do better digitally so I think it's going to be hard to really know how well it does, like most comics really.

I think Cates Thor might help, depending on how involved Loki is in the story. It looks like Jane Foster: Valkyrie has a big following if sales have anything to go by but I think that is also largely down to her role previously as Thor. So I wonder if the same could happen for Loki if he does take up Thor's role as Thor, on occasion of course.

All-Father Ewing said on Ask Marvel today that bringing back Verity is on his to-do-list, so peep some Valkyrie or sumthn', idk.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

Well, I'm not sure Kibblesmith is entirely wrong. If there is one character who has benefited from the movies, it's Loki.

The books and the movies all came out at just the right time and it's given us what we have now.

Also, yes Ewing. Give us Verity! With Ewing grtting the next big event, I am so ready for the weirdness!

I don't doubt that Loki, in a general sense, has a lot of fans from the movies. his movie fans probably do outnumber the comic fans, actually. But in terms of those who are reading the comics right now, I think it's as many or more that have read JIM etc. as it is those who have only seen the movies and are only just jumping on to the comic now. Yeah, there is crossover there, i think most people who are fans of the character in the comic have seen and enjoyed the movie depiction, but that doesn't mean the movies are why we are reading the books, or that we want them to resemble the movies. As Lambadelta pointed out, JIM began coming out BEFORE the first Thor movie, so nothing in there was done with movie synergy in mind, and people picking that up were not doing it because they saw him in the movie and thought he was cool, the movie wasn't out yet! And then, for literal years after the movie came out, Loki in the comics bore zero resemblance to the movies, until he got aged up at the end of Young Avengers, when some synergy did enter the picture to an extent with his appearance. I like movie Loki fine. He's not why I am a fan, though. And I am sure movie fans have checked out the comics, but I just think they checked it out long before the current series, with JIM or Agent of Asgard, and are likely up to speed with the comics continuity.

And with Cates, we already know Loki will appear for at the very least one page, probably more since that seemed to only be part of a scene, but we don't know how many more pages in the first issue. Hopefully it is something goo though which can get people to give his solo a second look. Also there seems to be a widespread misconception that it is a mini for some reason, despite the first solicit saying quite plainly that it was an ongoing, so they may need to do something to combat that perception, since a lot of people skip minis. Cates did say he was going to be on Ryan Stegman's podcast tomight (which I recommend giving a listen anyway, at the very least the Chip Zdarsky and Charles Soule episodes, they had a lot of fun with it and it was funny) http://stegmanandfriends.podbean.com/ and he goes on there fairly often but this will be the first time since the Thor announcement, so he may say some stuff there. and you can ask him a question here, if you act fast: https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1186686542825377793

Interesting about Ewing saying that, not really sure how to bring her in without Loki though. So if she shows up in Valkyrie I would expect a guest appearance at the very least from him. oh, and speaking of, about Vakyrie's sales, it got an overship again, so like, half that were actually ordered.
    Last edited by Raye; 10-22-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Spectacular Member

Has anyone read the latest issue of King Thor yet?

I was out today, so i only got to it now. It's... interesting, it sort of had the twist i was hoping there might be, but I still am not really liking that Loki went there in the first place, but we still don't know the full motivations for what he did, still thinking/hoping it is because he knows that this universe has to end for the next one to begin. And he's in bad shape, right now. But, end of the universe and all, so.

TLDR: Gorr comes back, beats up Thor and Loki some, Gorr says something about how Loki summoned him because he knew he wouldn't have the heart to kill Thor, Loki ends up crucified as Thor and Gorr continue their fight far off. Some of the new Midgardians pray to Thor and for Loki, but he seems very fatalistic about it saying it's the end of the universe so there's no point blah blah. And it looks like all is lost with the fight with Thor and Gorr, when Loki comes in and saves Thor, tells Gorr he was wrong about why he summoned him, but then Gorr cuts off his arm and blinds him, and goes after Thor again, they are enveloped in the darkness of the Necrosword, and they talk, Thor asks Loki how to stop Gorr, says that though he's crippled he still has his mind, and that with Thor's body and Loki's mind, they can beat Gorr. He tells Loki he was lying about Freyja, that she had never given up on him, and he's sorry he failed him, and as the darkness is just about to completely overtake them, you can see their hands about to touch, and the issue ends.
    Last edited by Raye; 10-23-2019 at 08:10 PM.

So, Loki summoned Gorr to kill Loki in the end, as a way of indirect suicide.

Astonishing Member

1. Loki needs to stop trying to kill himself, enough already!

2. Has there ever been a situation that required both Loki's brains and Thor's brawn to resolve, whether neither could solve it alone except together because I really, REALLY want that to happen now. They could be a very formidable duo, the Asgardian "buddy cops", the story practically write itself if some writers could finally let go of all the antagonism and animosity between the brothers.

Spectacular Member

I'm getting a bit worried now, no Loki it seems for January either.
    Last edited by Lambadelta; 10-24-2019 at 07:12 AM.