View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Incredible Member

Batman the Demon Trilogy HC, yay or nay? The art is very pretty I must say and it sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    If it helps, Vol 1 is being reprinted and is out the same day as Vol 2.
    It's so tempting... I think I'd have to sell off my old trades of it though.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    It's so tempting... I think I'd have to sell off my old trades of it though.
    Some more things to consider: the original printing infamously had shoddy binding. Not all copies were bad but many were. Hopefully the new printing will fix that. So if you do decide on the absolutes, make sure you get the second printing of volume one.

Also! These are recolored. Many (myself included) enjoy the new colors, but many dislike or outright hate it. I'd take a look at some comparisons of you haven't already.

Finally, the presentation in volume one, outside of the binding, is absolutely gorgeous. One of the better looking absolutes I own.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fillmont View Post
    Some more things to consider: the original printing infamously had shoddy binding. Not all copies were bad but many were. Hopefully the new printing will fix that. So if you do decide on the absolutes, make sure you get the second printing of volume one.

Also! These are recolored. Many (myself included) enjoy the new colors, but many dislike or outright hate it. I'd take a look at some comparisons of you haven't already.

Finally, the presentation in volume one, outside of the binding, is absolutely gorgeous. One of the better looking absolutes I own.
    It is a gorgeous book, I have it but I can't believe that the binding on my copy came apart on first reading. I was really careful with opening it but it still started to come looses. There is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    It is a gorgeous book, I have it but I can't believe that the binding on my copy came apart on first reading. I was really careful with opening it but it still started to come looses. There is no excuse!
    IIRC (and I might be completely mistaken) Vol. 1 isn't THAT big. It's only about 1/2 the trades right?

Two trades I bet, there are 6 hardcovers from way back with the run. Side note please publish a Rick Veitch Swamp Thing Omnibus!

Two trades I bet, there are 6 hardcovers from way back with the run. Side note please publish a Rick Veitch Swamp Thing Omnibus!
    Are you technically including the stuff he did with Moore? Or just his material after Post-Moore?

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Does anyone know if they are planning to fix the binding problem on the reprint of Absolute Swampy Vol. 1? My copy is still in fine shape but I worry that it may fall apart in the future.

The new coloring is definitely jarring at first, but I've come to terms with it. To be honest, sometimes it's an improvement. I just wish it didn't looks QUITE so digital. Still a gorgeous book. Love the mossy feel of the cover.

I tried to repair my Final Crisis on my own and that did not go well.

I want a solo Rick Veitch Swamp Thing Omnibus. His solo books (The One, Bratpack, and The Maximortal saga) are amazing.

I tried to repair my Final Crisis on my own and that did not go well.

I want a solo Rick Veitch Swamp Thing Omnibus. His solo books (The One, Bratpack, and The Maximortal saga) are amazing.
    DCs relationship has softened with him correct? Has he done anything more recent than that Aquaman run a decade or so back? I wonder if they will let him finish his intended run

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Those colors are spectacular. I never did get my Absolute vol. 1. anyone have it and gave up their old trades for it?
    I gave up my old trades years ago when they released it in standard hardcover. A lot of people were appalled that the HC's were on regular paper, but I quite like them. That slightly-better-than-newsprint stock adds to the feel of the books for me, and is perfect for the colors.

That said, I did *not* sell my HC's to finance the Absolute(s). I'll just have to settle for having both formats taking up space...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

My Golden age Batman omnibus 8 as well as the House of Mystery volume 2 came today so I'm set for Halloween!
    Hail Hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I gave up my old trades years ago when they released it in standard hardcover. A lot of people were appalled that the HC's were on regular paper, but I quite like them. That slightly-better-than-newsprint stock adds to the feel of the books for me, and is perfect for the colors.

That said, I did *not* sell my HC's to finance the Absolute(s). I'll just have to settle for having both formats taking up space...
    I really enjoy all the Forwards and Introductions the trades have, I know it's the Absolute Edition but are those retained? Having both the Hc and THE absolute doesn't sound that bad, given the spine of the old trades (at least the tpb) is uniform and pleasing to the eye. Even my Rick Veitch trades pick up with volume 7!

I really like the small hardcovers as well. The page quality and the colors are really nice. I had no clue Rick Veitch wrote/drew Aquaman but his solo comics are great. I think he is self publishing and I saw an interview with Ed Piskor where he said he and DC weren't on great terms. They should publish that Omnibus. I have never read his Swamp Thing and the trades are expensive on the secondary market.

Incredible Member

man not liking the paper quality of the newer collected editions. They want to cheap out on Trades or small HC's fine whatever eventhough I was reading through Deathstroke, Aquaman, and Batman trades but did not like i at allt. But why on the OHC's and Omnibus? Premium price should atleast the bare minimum bring good quality not **** quality. If I want the feeling of a newspaper in my hand I'll go buy a newspaper. Atleast that will be $2.00 vs $100
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 10-09-2020 at 09:58 PM.