Page 68 of 126 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1883

Thread: NFL 2020 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I feel he's got zero say. Burrow knew, months before that he'd be Cinci's guy, that situation is Trevor Lawrence light. This is the system, Papa Manning not wanting his boys to constantly bump heads in the AFC is lone real outlier to the other many decades of doing it conventionally. Trevor's only play is to stay in school, which isn't that good of an option when you can only go down to injury.

Lawrence is still unproven in the pros, playing in a league of veterans and I don't know how much of a hand he can even play with the Jets. One can only hope that, the Jets... somehow reveal themselves, in the face of an 0-16 campaign, to pull magic trick out there rears. Unfortunately that's not where magic tricks come from. I agree that the best play would be to trade the pick down and get some football playing pieces ASAP. I like the pick to Dallas for Prescott and picks and let Lawrence go be a Cowboy.
    The problem with that trade is Prescott could wind up being a one year rental as he can walk after his contract expires, so you'd have to lock him up with an extension before the trade, but you would want to see how he recovers from the injury at least in training camp before you commit to that kind of extension.But the trade would have to take place before he even takes the practice field again, so you can't see how he recovers before extending him, so you're potentially screwed either way. If he walks or doesn't fully recover, that would be a trade that devastates the Jets future potential and could make them even worse and more of a joke than they currently are. And there's no way the Jets can surround Prescott with the kind of supporting cast he has in Dallas even with the extra picks, and you don't know if Prescott can elevate a lesser supporting cast as he's never had to do it. All of that makes trading for Prescott riskier than using the pick on a top QB. And if the trade backfires, it's the kind of move that costs GMs their jobs and potential career.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Why would Trevor Lawrence agree to go to the Jets? When you are the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck, I would think you would have some say over where you go.
    He still has a year of eligibility and could pull an "Elway scenario" where he could look at the Jets, and opt for another year of college at Clemson.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Can’t wait for WBE’s latest head coach hot seat rankings after brain farts by Mike McCarthy on Turkey Day and Anthony Lynn yesterday.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The problem with that trade is Prescott could wind up being a one year rental as he can walk after his contract expires, so you'd have to lock him up with an extension before the trade, but you would want to see how he recovers from the injury at least in training camp before you commit to that kind of extension.But the trade would have to take place before he even takes the practice field again, so you can't see how he recovers before extending him, so you're potentially screwed either way. If he walks or doesn't fully recover, that would be a trade that devastates the Jets future potential and could make them even worse and more of a joke than they currently are. And there's no way the Jets can surround Prescott with the kind of supporting cast he has in Dallas even with the extra picks, and you don't know if Prescott can elevate a lesser supporting cast as he's never had to do it. All of that makes trading for Prescott riskier than using the pick on a top QB. And if the trade backfires, it's the kind of move that costs GMs their jobs and potential career.

-M
    Brady's gone, Pats are struggling and Miami isn't there yet and now the Jets decide to have their worst season in franchise history. No potential about it. The JEST are screwed 6 ways from Sunday, under their own doing. You are correct and all I can in retort is on the injury front- one Alex (whatever his government middle name is) Smith. TO ME Jets can't get any lower, whatever their plans for the future it's still got to be a bridge to something else more productive down the line. Jets need a better, EVERYTHING, all levels of fielding a team. This is like those cable programs where people who win the lottery aren't in a good space or their house isn't in order, when they do and the reason we see them telling their stories is that the lotto winnings are gone. Trevor Lawrence to Perine isn't anything people can be hopeful for, gonna need to be more than that and that's assuming Lawrence is actually from Krypton.

The specifics of the Prescott proposal has definite pitfalls but the basis of it's principal as I see allows your only way out into daylight.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

And the Browns are all set to make the playoffs, just three years after 0-16. Maybe the Jets will turn things around, but not with Gase still there.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ravens Steelers postponed again, this time until Wednesday (for now).

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    And the Browns are all set to make the playoffs, just three years after 0-16. Maybe the Jets will turn things around, but not with Gase still there.
    Lots of room for the Browns to blow it still.

-M
    Steelers are going perfect, aren't they?

They are getting a lot of rest compared to other teams due to the (bad) luck of other teams COVID problems.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Spectacular Member

-M
    Can someone please explain to me why Denver had to play with no rostered QB, but the Ravens keep getting postponements?
    Not a Broncos fan, or Ravens hater, just wondering if its the "star power" factor.

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why Denver had to play with no rostered QB, but the Ravens keep getting postponements?
    Not a Broncos fan, or Ravens hater, just wondering if its the "star power" factor.
    Maybe because the Broncos cases are limited to just the QBs who were caught breaking protocol and not widespread through the team or organization as the Ravens are. The Broncos QBs are in quarantine because they chose to not wear masks and break protocol during a team activity, so they brought it on themselves in a way. They knew what they were doing, they knew the consequences of doing so if caught, and they did it anyways. The Ravens outbreak seems to have come from community spread, not from a confirmed breaking of protocol by members of the organization.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Why would Trevor Lawrence agree to go to the Jets? When you are the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck, I would think you would have some say over where you go.
    Thats why on black Monday of the NFL if I'm the Jets owner I clean house and fire everyone. I then give a mega offer to Dabo Swinney to come be coach because Lawrence would probably say yes to being a Jet instead of going back to Clemson. Whether Swinney can be a good NFL coach or not is up in the air but the Dolphins are proof that you can tear down completely and rebuild quickly with the right coach as they've gone from the worst roster in the history at the beginning of last season to 12-8 over their last 20 games and are in serious playoff contention this year so Lawrence might believe its possible for him and the Jets.

Sweeny is not leaving Clemson.
    He makes $9 million a year now in a very secure job.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-30-2020 at 06:30 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Pfft! I'll believe that when it happens, and not before. Hurts was a wasted draft pick since the Eagles had more pressing needs for their second round pick on the offensive line and at linebacker. The Birds could've picked up a QB off the street and he'd be far more serviceable than Hurts.
    I don't follow the Eagles closely, so I don' know how reliable some of the team fan sites are, but a reporter/pundit (Adam Caplan) from Inside the Birds and the site Bleeding Green have both reported the order has come form owner Jeffrey Lurie himself that Hurts willplay if Wentz continues to struggle so have him ready to go if that happens.

Again, not sure how reliable they are, but they both seem to indicate it is part of a power struggle between Wentz and Pederson in the locker room and that this is Lurie putting his foot down to remind them all whose team it is, and that he wants better results or he will start making significant changes. Could all be hogwash, I don't know, butLurie can't be happy with the product they are putting out each week or his return on investment in Wentz right now.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    Ravens couldn't field a team, so that's not really the applicable comparison. It is however worth noting that earlier in the year they postponed the Denver/NE game for the Patriots with extremely limited spread. Believe at the time it was just two players. So yeah, there's definitely a double standard going on when looked at from the context of the standard the NFL had set themselves over the course of the year. This is probably because being later into the season the Broncos are bad and not in the playoff mix. So it didn't matter throwing them completely to the wolves as they're irrelevant to the rest of the season. I still consider it a bit of a bitch move though as it wouldn't have been hard to postpone the game for Tuesday, like they've done literally every other team with issues this season, then punished the team appropriately afterward if negligence of protocol was the main cause. The NFL seems to just have wanted to flex their muscle, virtue signal that they've navigated this year right (they haven't), and used a bottom dweller team to send that stronger message. Also worth noting that right now Denver has no owner, so they certainly had not the strongest of voices in their corner to plead their case. In the end that's really the root of all the Broncos' problems in their 5 year dive into obscurity.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-30-2020 at 09:46 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Week 13 "WHO'S COOKIN' ON THE HOTSEAT?/FIRE THIS COACH!" Watch

ALREADY FIRED BEFORE WEEK 8: Bill O'Brien (Texans) , Dan Quinn (Falcons)

12. Joe Judge, Giants (LUKEWARM SEAT)

The Giants are now in first place after getting to 4-7 and winning their second game in a row, this time against a Bengals team who, under center, started… *checks notes* … somebody named Brandon Allen, who had a whopping 136 yards passing. So their defense beat up on a team they should have, that’s good. What’s the bad news?

Daniel Jones might not get a chance to get of that "draft bust" label, because he injured his hamstring and was hopping all over the field. People might forget the embarrassing clip of him tripping and falling flat on his face on the 11 yard line against the Eagles in Week 8 because they might want to talk about how he injured his hamstring on an earlier play… and JOE JUDGE LEFT HIM IN to aggravate it further. Congratulations, now this team has Colt McCoy for its last five games. As for to the rest of this squad... they're without Saquon Barkley for the rest of the year. They’re in the hunt for this division, because, frankly, it’s shite. The problem they have is a murderer’s row of opponents left on their schedule that aren’t division matchups (Seattle and Arizona the next two weeks alone). Based on that, expect them to struggle to hold the division lead.

Joe Judge is probably not a name you've heard, in general, as New York's coach. You will be for the rest of the year. He was formerly New England's assistant special teams coach. How he got elevated to his first HC gig... lord only knows. How the Giants have not paid attention to how everything on the Belichek coaching tree has died on the vine through the past 20 years... yeah... don't know. What we do know is, Joe Judge made his players run sprints when he wasn't happy with them prior to this season, fired his offensive line coach during the middle of the and the only thing that will save his ass to get a second season will be if he blames Daniel Jones, GM Dave Gettleman, or injuries for his woes. But it's gonna be a long year for the G-Men.

11. Ron Rivera, WFT (IS THIS A ROOM TEMPERATURE SEAT?) : The NFC (L)East is a disaster, make no mistake. But the WFT’s awful start to the year may now be trending in a better direction because this team has been lucky enough to fall ass backwards into competent play from Frankenleg, Alex Smith, at QB to resolve a lot of offensive woes they saw then they were running Kyle Allen and Dwayne Haskins out there under center, they’ve somehow managed to emerge as the team who might end up taking this division by default. After winning last week once the Bengals lost Joe Burrow for the season early in the second half, yesterday they got into a game of “who wants to lose this game” chicken with Dallas, and Mike McCarthy’s abysmal playcalling and the Cowboys’ historically awful defense helped Smith, Terry McLaurin and Antonio Gibson look like world beaters. Washington is now 4-7 and on a two game winning streak.

Again, why Rivera is even on this list... I want to be clear, here... I don't think Ron Rivera is a bad coach. It's bad practice for a franchise to fire coaches after only one year. Also, if this wasn't obvious... it would be really f***ed up if the team fired a guy who's trying to coach THROUGH CANCER TREATMENTS. So, based on everything I know about team owner Daniel Snyder being a colossal ***hole... he could absolutely still fire Ron Rivera and then try to spin it in the media that he was doing him a favor because of said cancer at the end of the year. I’m THIS CLOSE to pulling Ron Rivera from my list of potential axe victims at the end of the season… but with the next three weeks, the WFT face Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Seattle. I think at best that’s gonna leave them at 5-9 before they host Carolina and close at the season on the road in Philly.

10. Mike Zimmer, Vikings (LUKEWARM SEAT): The Vikings were supposedly "just a QB away" from winning a Super Bowl with the impeccable defense they had, and they spent BIG for Kirk Cousins. Then they traded away Stephon Diggs (BIG MISTAKE), and their defense officially "got a case of the olds" going into 2020. Minnesota got to 5-6 yesterday, sneaking out a one-point win against a Carolina team in a come-from-behind win from 11 down in the 4th quarter. How did they fall behind? Their offense got an acute case of fumble-itis, coughing the ball up three times, two that were returned for TDs. No team has ever started 1-5 and made the playoffs. The closest example would be the the 1994 Chargers who started 1-4 and went to the Super Bowl… their final 4 games though… are a mixed bag. Winnable contests versus the Jaguars, Bears and Lions remain… but they also have the Bucs and the Saints in the mix. For them to get in, they’ll need to probably win four of their next five. It’s possible, but seeing them fail to take down the Cowboys two weeks ago is not a vote of confidence.

9. Matt Nagy, Bears: The Double-Doink happened like 2 years ago, but it made something snap in Matt Nagy. He spent that entire off-season talking about it, and making his players relive that trauma, and they responded by getting worse afterwards. Where they didn’t respond was fixing their QB situation. Instead, they set some sort of record post-draft for having like 10 Tight Ends on their roster, which… isn’t how you should build a team. Their defense? They still have DPOTY candidate Khalil Mack. The offense? Yeah, again, that QB situation. They brought in Nick Foles to be Mitch Trubisky’s backup. Trubisky struggled early this year, got benched, and then Foles got hurt. So every week has been a tease of if Chicago would have to backpedal and put Trubisky back in. They did against the Packers. It went as well as you might have expected, and he threw 2 more picks, fumbled three more times (losing one) and just flat out looked despearate. The Bears are now 5-6 after a 5-1 start. They don’t even look like they have the coordination to stumble into the playoffs, and after going 8-8 last year, finishing with a losing record might be enough for the team to go a different direction.

8. Doug Pedersen, EaglesAfter losing against Seattle on Monday Night Football, the Eagles just dropped to 3-7-1. They remain only a half game back in this division because the teams in it collectively are something that fell out of a dog’s arse. Carson Wentz was a guy people talked about as an MVP candidate just a few years ago, and now fans are starting to make noise about wanting to give a test drive to Jalen Hurts instead (and it’s hard not to think about, given he has just about a 1/1 TD to INT ratio this season, 16 TD & 15 INT). While a lot of people want to lay blame for Philly’s woes on the coach, the real problem might be they gave a huge contract to a guy who already got a ring while sitting on the sidelines watching Nick Foles, and he’s not playing up to it. The defense has been keeping the Eagles in games, but Foles is just failing to deliver. Foles’ pick-six yesterday is the difference between a win and a loss. He also gave up a safety. Take those 9 points off the board, and Philly’s D held Cleveland to 13 points.

Again, this team is somehow in first place and that’s the only reason they’re not on the other side of this list. This time next week, though…? Does anyone ELSE want to win some games and rise up out of this division? We only know one thing, whoever it is will likely have the record, and the on-field talent to be called “The Worst Playoff Team Ever”.

7. Anthony Lynn, Chargers: Anthony Lynn's looking like he has something with rookie QB Justin Herbert (316 yards again yesterday), but not a lot of anything else (they were 3 for 16 on 3rd down versus the Bills… not great). Lynn's in his fourth season as Chargers head coach, he just got his contract extended through 2021 in February... but after going 5-11 last year, if he doesn't improve on that, he might not get that fifth. He’s 3-8 after a loss to Buffalo, and their remaining schedule is, New England, Atlanta (who seem like they’re figuring out their offense), Las Vegas, Denver (okay, this one should be winnable), and Kansas City. They’ll be lucky to get to 6-10 with what they have left to face. Your sad statistic? Anthony Lynn is 4-20 in one score games as a head coach. Your maybe they’ll let him finish this contract note? EVERYBODY likes Anthony Lynn. I’ve not heard a player, coach, or NFL pundit speak ill of him. He’s got this team close to something… he just needs a little bit more talent on the roster, and he might have something next year. Unfortunately, his team’s owners are the Spanos family and are a bunch of self-owning cheapskates… so good luck bringing in a key free agent to help the guy.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 11-30-2020 at 10:05 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Ravens couldn't field a team, so that's not really the applicable comparison. It is however worth noting that earlier in the year they postponed the Denver/NE game for the Patriots with extremely limited spread. Believe at the time it was just two players. So yeah, there's definitely a double standard going on when looked at from the context of the standard the NFL had set themselves over the course of the year. This is probably because being later into the season the Broncos are bad and not in the playoff mix. So it didn't matter throwing them completely to the wolves as they're irrelevant to the rest of the season. I still consider it a bit of a bitch move though as it wouldn't have been hard to postpone the game for Tuesday, like they've done literally every other team with issues this season, then punished the team appropriately afterward if negligence of protocol was the main cause. The NFL seems to just have wanted to flex their muscle, virtue signal that they've navigated this year right (they haven't), and used a bottom dweller team to send that stronger message. Also worth noting that right now Denver has no owner, so they certainly had not the strongest of voices in their corner to plead their case. In the end that's really the root of all the Broncos' problems in their 5 year dive into obscurity.
    And yet with all that, if even 1 of the Denver QBs had followed protocol and worn their mask when they were supposed to, they would have had a QB for that day, but all 3 failed to do so. They weren't on the virus list because they tested positive like in the other situations, they were in quarantine because they broke virus protocols. Only Driskell tested positive, the other 3 were out because they chose not to wear a mask around him before he tested positive when they were required to do so. SO it's apples and oranges to the other teams who have games postponed because players are on the virus list with positive tests.

Also of note, this is the third time the team has been caught violating protocols, with Fangio getting fined once and the team itself a second time, so there is a pattern of behavior here, not just a random oops we made a mistake.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 11-30-2020 at 11:00 PM.