Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 2205
    Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Ready to kick asses again!

Imagine the salt if Hulk beats Thor again in this run

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Honestly, I don't even want to imagine it.

Were people mad at Hulk kicking the Avengers asses at the start of Ewing’s run? Lmao shame I missed that.

BANNED

It wouldn't be good if Hulk beats Thor again, given that he has the OF, but i imagine he wont this time, in fact i suspect no one will get KO'd this time around unlike last time, also looks like Betty is there fighting alongside him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Were people mad at Hulk kicking the Avengers asses at the start of Ewing’s run? Lmao shame I missed that.
    Some people were VERY upset, i remember them harassing Ewing on twitter for a while, to the point where he was getting pretty fed up with it all.

Astonishing Member

Imagine the salt if the Hulk actually loses.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Imagine the salt if the Hulk actually loses.
    Don’t know what issue Bennett is on at this point, but this Act is basically Hulk at his absolute lowest (both physically and mentally) so I wouldn’t really be too bothered if he gets taken down. I don’t expect him too though, Thing kicking his ass will probably be the big physical fight loss Hulk needed to start getting his act together.

Spectacular Member Hulkbanner12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    spoilers:
    As a fan of both properties, I call BS. Unlike Broly, Hulk can self-resurrect. Plus, Hulk's power also has no limits but is safe (for him anyway) whereas Broly's power can destroy him if it gets out of control.
    end of spoilers
    Well, the canon Broly powers hasn't shown to destroy him. The version of Broly is just like the hulk but his fire power is insane. I just don't like how Hulk got destroyed to dust.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

The SKTCHD AWRDS: The Comics of 2020

The Leader Award: Immortal Hulk

I would say that, if you polled the broader world of comic critics, the most well-liked ongoing series would be Immortal Hulk, and I don’t imagine it would be particularly close. It’s been going for just over two years now – which we honestly don’t talk about enough, as that means we’ve gotten 41 issues (as well as several one-shots tying in to some degree) – and almost since it debuted I’d say it was Marvel’s most beloved book. For good reason: it’s absolutely incredible, with Al Ewing and Joe Bennett turning a solid start into a modern classic. That’s why it’s the leader here, because that’s what it is for Marvel’s line.

But also, if anything defined 2020 for the series it was the ascent of The Leader as the man behind the curtain, the one who was pulling Banner’s strings and making things bad for him. The pinnacle of the book for me this year – because I’m a mad man, as I’ve largely been the only one I’ve seen tout this issue as much – was #34, which laid out The Leader’s life and how he got from where he started to where he is now, running the Hulk’s life and dominating the world of gamma in the way few have. That’s been a fascinating wrinkle to add to the mix, because it’s given us a third act turn that, in some ways, set the tone for the totality of the run.

Because my awards know no bounds, just like The Leader in Banner’s head, I do want to tout one other leader-related angle: the fact that Immortal Hulk has become a brand unto itself. The concept works across creative teams – Jeff Lemire and Mike Del Mundo did work in Immortal Hulk: The Threshing Place and Declan Shalvey’s going to blow people away with Immortal Hulk: Flatline – and connected titles, whether you’re talking Immortal She-Hulk or King in Black: Immortal Hulk. It’s a transmutable idea, one that can be applied elsewhere with little magic rubbing off, at all. It’s a heck of a thing, but representative of how the idea behind Immortal Hulk is so solid at the core it translates no matter where you put it.

https://sktchd.com/column/the-sktchd...20-part-three/

The SKTCHD AWRDS: The Creators of 2020

The Writer of the Year Award: Al Ewing (Immortal Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, S.W.O.R.D., We Only Find Them When They’re Dead)

I might have shown my hand earlier, as I touted Al Ewing in my write-up for Christopher Cantwell, suggesting the virtual certainty of the writer’s inclusion on this list. But what you might not have realized is the award it indicated he might take, as that’s right everyone! Al Ewing is my writer of the year!

It’s a funny award to give to someone who was already one of the best in the business. It’s not like Ewing “got better” since last year, with that improvement leading him to this apex. It’s that he’s now in a position to seemingly define the titles he wants to take on and the corners he wants to own, allowing him to find better fits for his style and ideas that maximize his talents. Al Ewing in 2020 is like a great young athlete who is waiting for their chance to show what they have even though we already knew they were elite in limited time. In 2020, Ewing was given every opportunity to succeed, and instead of just doing that, he thrived.

Just look at the list of titles I listed above. His year was so tremendous that I didn’t even bother to list Empyre, the event comic he co-wrote with Dan Slott, despite the fact it was fairly well liked! But the other titles he worked on were more representative of his strengths, as Immortal Hulk approached its endgame by getting into the meat of its core story with the Leader ascendant, Guardians of the Galaxy tore down and rebuilt some of its key elements, S.W.O.R.D. basically reinvented everything about its identity with a glorious retrofitting onto the current X-Mythos, and We Only Find Them When They’re Dead was basically Ewing unfiltered to the max, which is saying something.

That’s a lot, and those are all big, sprawling stories on top of it. But the thing that amazes me about Ewing is no matter if you’re talking space gods or internal battles within a Marvel legend, the scribe never loses the characters at the center of them. To be so big and so small at the same time is a tough balance, but Ewing makes it look easy. Even the cosmic scale is character driven, and it’s for that reason you can’t help but invest yourself in the stories he writes. They’re built on majesty and empathy in equal measures, making us care as our jaws drop.

The question becomes “what’s next?” for Ewing, as you could say he’s gotten to the point that he’s arguably Marvel’s strongest writer, even possibly out-Hickman-ing Hickman with S.W.O.R.D. #1 (I say that with much love to Hickman, who I clearly have an affinity for). He’s hit a pinnacle for writers in his line of work. Where do you go when you’re already at the top?

If Ewing’s proven anything in his rise to that position, the answer is clearly, “wherever he wants.” Whether it’s more of the same or something completely different, I’m here for whatever Ewing has on deck for us in 2021.

Related: Did you listen to Ewing’s appearance (https://sktchd.com/podcast/off-panel...with-al-ewing/) on Off Panel earlier this year? Learn more about the process behind his work in that episode.

https://sktchd.com/column/the-sktchd...ators-of-2020/

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkbanner12 View Post
    Well, the canon Broly powers hasn't shown to destroy him. The version of Broly is just like the hulk but his fire power is insane. I just don't like how Hulk got destroyed to dust.
    True, but that isn't canon Broly in the pic. Plus, I still think Hulk would win no matter the version of Broly he faces. I do not agree with this video in how easily Broly wins in the end. Even as a Dragon Ball fan, this is one thing I detest about the Dragon Ball Fandom their desire to have their characters essentially crush with ease every opponent from another property. The power-level pissing contest among Dragon Ball fans versus those of other fandoms can get right down disgusting.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-30-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

The SKTCHD AWRDS: The Comics of 2020

The Leader Award: Immortal Hulk

I would say that, if you polled the broader world of comic critics, the most well-liked ongoing series would be Immortal Hulk, and I don’t imagine it would be particularly close. It’s been going for just over two years now – which we honestly don’t talk about enough, as that means we’ve gotten 41 issues (as well as several one-shots tying in to some degree) – and almost since it debuted I’d say it was Marvel’s most beloved book. For good reason: it’s absolutely incredible, with Al Ewing and Joe Bennett turning a solid start into a modern classic. That’s why it’s the leader here, because that’s what it is for Marvel’s line.

But also, if anything defined 2020 for the series it was the ascent of The Leader as the man behind the curtain, the one who was pulling Banner’s strings and making things bad for him. The pinnacle of the book for me this year – because I’m a mad man, as I’ve largely been the only one I’ve seen tout this issue as much – was #34, which laid out The Leader’s life and how he got from where he started to where he is now, running the Hulk’s life and dominating the world of gamma in the way few have. That’s been a fascinating wrinkle to add to the mix, because it’s given us a third act turn that, in some ways, set the tone for the totality of the run.

Because my awards know no bounds, just like The Leader in Banner’s head, I do want to tout one other leader-related angle: the fact that Immortal Hulk has become a brand unto itself. The concept works across creative teams – Jeff Lemire and Mike Del Mundo did work in Immortal Hulk: The Threshing Place and Declan Shalvey’s going to blow people away with Immortal Hulk: Flatline – and connected titles, whether you’re talking Immortal She-Hulk or King in Black: Immortal Hulk. It’s a transmutable idea, one that can be applied elsewhere with little magic rubbing off, at all. It’s a heck of a thing, but representative of how the idea behind Immortal Hulk is so solid at the core it translates no matter where you put it.

https://sktchd.com/column/the-sktchd...20-part-three/

The SKTCHD AWRDS: The Creators of 2020

The Writer of the Year Award: Al Ewing (Immortal Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, S.W.O.R.D., We Only Find Them When They’re Dead)

I might have shown my hand earlier, as I touted Al Ewing in my write-up for Christopher Cantwell, suggesting the virtual certainty of the writer’s inclusion on this list. But what you might not have realized is the award it indicated he might take, as that’s right everyone! Al Ewing is my writer of the year!

It’s a funny award to give to someone who was already one of the best in the business. It’s not like Ewing “got better” since last year, with that improvement leading him to this apex. It’s that he’s now in a position to seemingly define the titles he wants to take on and the corners he wants to own, allowing him to find better fits for his style and ideas that maximize his talents. Al Ewing in 2020 is like a great young athlete who is waiting for their chance to show what they have even though we already knew they were elite in limited time. In 2020, Ewing was given every opportunity to succeed, and instead of just doing that, he thrived.

Just look at the list of titles I listed above. His year was so tremendous that I didn’t even bother to list Empyre, the event comic he co-wrote with Dan Slott, despite the fact it was fairly well liked! But the other titles he worked on were more representative of his strengths, as Immortal Hulk approached its endgame by getting into the meat of its core story with the Leader ascendant, Guardians of the Galaxy tore down and rebuilt some of its key elements, S.W.O.R.D. basically reinvented everything about its identity with a glorious retrofitting onto the current X-Mythos, and We Only Find Them When They’re Dead was basically Ewing unfiltered to the max, which is saying something.

That’s a lot, and those are all big, sprawling stories on top of it. But the thing that amazes me about Ewing is no matter if you’re talking space gods or internal battles within a Marvel legend, the scribe never loses the characters at the center of them. To be so big and so small at the same time is a tough balance, but Ewing makes it look easy. Even the cosmic scale is character driven, and it’s for that reason you can’t help but invest yourself in the stories he writes. They’re built on majesty and empathy in equal measures, making us care as our jaws drop.

The question becomes “what’s next?” for Ewing, as you could say he’s gotten to the point that he’s arguably Marvel’s strongest writer, even possibly out-Hickman-ing Hickman with S.W.O.R.D. #1 (I say that with much love to Hickman, who I clearly have an affinity for). He’s hit a pinnacle for writers in his line of work. Where do you go when you’re already at the top?

If Ewing’s proven anything in his rise to that position, the answer is clearly, “wherever he wants.” Whether it’s more of the same or something completely different, I’m here for whatever Ewing has on deck for us in 2021.

Related: Did you listen to Ewing’s appearance (https://sktchd.com/podcast/off-panel...with-al-ewing/) on Off Panel earlier this year? Learn more about the process behind his work in that episode.

https://sktchd.com/column/the-sktchd...ators-of-2020/
    It’s great seeing all the well deserved love for Ewing.

I had read/in an a interview he’d like to join the queue for Dr Strange at some point after Immortal Hulk. If he can make Hulk this batshit and HUGE in scope, just imagine what he could do with the sorceror supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    It’s great seeing all the well deserved love for Ewing.

I had read/in an a interview he’d like to join the queue for Dr Strange at some point after Immortal Hulk. If he can make Hulk this batshit and HUGE in scope, just imagine what he could do with the sorceror supreme!
    A valid point. He did something I thought impossible; make Hulk greater than the character has arguably ever been.

Should be interesting for Betty and Jennifer to meet again considering the changes they've both gone through.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ready to kick asses again!

Is that Jen on the bottom left? She looks a lot more normal than she did the last time she appeared in the book.

I'm guessing Carol and Robbie are on the left? Or maybe it's all the girls on the left side with Betty?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh, yeah, it was glorious. I so hard especially when one takes into account the fact that for decades Hulk has been declared one of the most powerful characters in all of comics (in terms of pure strength and having no upper limit to his power increase when he goes into a self-feeding rage-loop).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is that Jen on the bottom left? She looks a lot more normal than she did the last time she appeared in the book.

I'm guessing Carol and Robbie are on the left? Or maybe it's all the girls on the left side with Betty?
    Yea it's Jen, Bennett changed her design from how he drew her in Immortal Hulk 7, now she looks more like an actual buff She-Hulk than just a Hulk with a wig, you can go to page 143 of this thread to check it out, he has the Avengers all assemble to fight the Hulk and you can see her much more clearly.

I think Betty is fighting She-Hulk and Carol to the left, dunno if Robbie is around he was missing from the Avengers assemble line up page.