Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I think the closet we came to seeing Alan in live action was the brief montage of the JSA in Smallville.

It was a nice touch seeing it in black and white with only Alan's ring in color to stand out.
    Was "closet" a typo, a weird auto-correct, or something more Freudian?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How about just an issue number instead?
    Jesus, you must be fun at parties.
    Well, considering that I don't buy/read Snyder's Justice League, I have no idea which issue you mean by "penultimate".

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Well, considering that I don't buy/read Snyder's Justice League, I have no idea which issue you mean by "penultimate".
    Lol. Typo.

New 52 Earth 2 JSA are all fakes to me anyways.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Lol. Typo.

New 52 Earth 2 JSA are all fakes to me anyways.
    Closet was a funny typo.

As to the nu52 Earth 2, IMO the characters were pretty good updatings of the original characters. That is, the originals written as if they were introduced in the 21st century.

An internet search told me the number of the issue in less than 60 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    An internet search told me the number of the issue in less than 60 seconds.
    That's nice.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

from All-American Comics #17 (August 1940)

from All-American Comics #17 (August 1940)

Pretty interesting that they stress the ring makes GL invulnerable to metal specifically. Never seen that before but it could come in handy.

Pretty interesting that they stress the ring makes GL invulnerable to metal specifically. Never seen that before but it could come in handy.
    That is an example of power inflation. The original concept was not that the ring had a "weakness to wood"...it was that the ring made him immune to metals. Thus, ANY non-metal (plastic, rubber, wood, stone...) could still hurt him. But as the writers made the character more and more powerful, more and more invulnerable, eventually the "immune to metal" concept got watered down to just "weakness for wood."

Of course, GL is not the only character that this happened to. Superman started as "stronger than a locomotive" and eventually became able to move around planets. Waaaaaay stronger than a locomotive!
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    That is an example of power inflation. The original concept was not that the ring had a "weakness to wood"...it was that the ring made him immune to metals. Thus, ANY non-metal (plastic, rubber, wood, stone...) could still hurt him. But as the writers made the character more and more powerful, more and more invulnerable, eventually the "immune to metal" concept got watered down to just "weakness for wood."

Of course, GL is not the only character that this happened to. Superman started as "stronger than a locomotive" and eventually became able to move around planets. Waaaaaay stronger than a locomotive!
    Nice. I didn't know.that. it's cool to see the heroes mythos grow and evolve.

Reading Hal's series showed how the rings workings evolved as well.

I really enjoyed the "Green Lantern 75th Anniversary" variant cover for Detective Comics #44 from back in 2015:

variant cover by Cliff Chiang
    By the way, here's the other variant cover with the original Alan Scott from that month:

(At least Alan was on two variant covers for the "Green Lantern 75th Anniversary" month; Jay only made one cover during the 75th Anniversary for "The Flash", and Hawkman didn't even get a "75th Anniversary" variant month!)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Thinking about it, that's a great update of his costume on the Detective Comics cover. Make the cape purple (it may be, the color is toned on the cover) and I'm a happy man.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Thinking about it, that's a great update of his costume on the Detective Comics cover. Make the cape purple (it may be, the color is toned on the cover) and I'm a happy man.
    And this seems to be the look DC is going with for Alan in the latest issue of Justice League: