Page 9 of 103 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Green Lantern needs his Frank Miller, i guess. There was an combined afford but who really put Batman back on the map, as a cool character is Frank Miller.

Incredible Member

I think the main problems with the franchise is that it lacks direction (plot-wise) and a proper understanding of what makes the characters interesting (editorial-wise).

Just read Justice League #16, i like the story so far, as a Snyder fan this was a really good issue but as a John Stewart fan this arc was a bit of a let down. He had some lines and moments here and there but it feels like they could have easily done this arc without him; which is a bummer because I was really looking forward to seeing him shine and explain what's going on with him and his powers. I probably shouldn't have read the solicits and gotten by hopes up. No answers in the UV, no explanation on the human power ring thing. Good issue, still loving the story just disappointed. At least he was characterized as an actual human with humor and feeling, and address some if the issues I've had with DC's handling of the character.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-23-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

My take on the problems with the GL:

Obviously, DC has too many Earth GL's. However, it is tough to get rid on them.

More to the point, part of Johns success was that events in GL would bleed into the rest of the DCU. The GL franchise did not need to venture out into other titles as events in the GL books would affect other titles. GL needs to be part on stories affecting the entire DCU.

Over time, the franchise became very insular, like the X-Men. Post Johns, steps should have been taken to line up the GL franchise with other books. That did not happen, plus the GL stories were no longer must-read. It is very easy to avoid GL, and still be in the know of the main stories in the DCU.

Extraordinary Member

John wont be Fatal 5 movie will he

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Let me rephrase, perhaps it very well could, it's just that, in hindsight even the Johns run seemed like a situation where all the stars aligned. They brought back a classic character who was done wrong before and many people wanted to see him back, they made the new GL run very accessible to new readers without discarding everything that came before so old readers could enjoy it too, they had a writer who was already a star in the making and that run was his ticket to superstardom, they introduced new concepts that expanded the mythos, the concept of the stakes getting higher with each arc also hadn't lost its luster yet, so it just went full throttle in so many aspects and sales reflected that.

Today perhaps something new has to be done again that also retains both that sense of familiarity and is accessible to new and current audience. I'm just not sure what specifically. Morrison's run feels more like a nostalgia trip, which is fine but it's probably not a way to bring in new fans, so only his name wasn't going to be enough to keep it a top 10 title. Green Lanterns did bring in some new fans, but despite that Jessica became a fan-favorite character that DC seems committed to, the sales were still down in the 30K/20K a year later.
    Well during the Geoff Johns' era, despite me not personally caring much for him, I would say that he knew how to draw fans' interest in the GL franchise. One of the biggest things I could remember him doing was the Blackest Night event, where every DC comic was involved with it. He promoted the Green Lantern product by expanding a lantern-related event to the entire DCU books.

So yea, I think it could be done, but DC would have to go all out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Just read Justice League #16, i like the story so far, as a Snyder fan this was a really good issue but as a John Stewart fan this arc was a bit of a let down. He had some lines and moments here and there but it feels like they could have easily done this arc without him; which is a bummer because I was really looking forward to seeing him shine and explain what's going on with him and his powers. I probably shouldn't have read the solicits and gotten by hopes up. No answers in the UV, no explanation on the human power ring thing. Good issue, still loving the story just disappointed. At least he was characterized as an actual human with humor and feeling, and address some if the issues I've had with DC's handling of the character.
    I read the comic. You're right that John didn't play as much of a big role in this one and we didn't get any real answers. I would say that I did like his dynamic with Kilowog, which was probably one of my favorite parts in this comic. And reading this issue explains why John Stewart has been away from Earth for so long. We all wondered why John has been away from Earth throughout the years since the New 52, but it's nice to see this being touched upon. John got some character development in this book, but it wasn't enough, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I read the comic. You're right that John didn't play as much of a big role in this one and we didn't get any real answers. I would say that I did like his dynamic with Kilowog, which was probably one of my favorite parts in this comic. And reading this issue explains why John Stewart has been away from Earth for so long. We all wondered why John has been away from Earth throughout the years since the New 52, but it's nice to see this being touched upon. John got some character development in this book, but it wasn't enough, unfortunately.
    It's unfortunate but I guess it's the best we can hope for, for now; which I hate to say. I may have to manage my expectations, I don't think there is going to be enough space for John to get more than this pace of development in Snyder's overall epic. Which is why we need some kind of John solo material. Everyone has their own book to freely develop in except the space trinity (John, MM, and Hawkgirl) and considering Snyder himself says that Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl are the central players for his run, that leaves John the only one left in the fringes. That's not to say that when Snyder does get to him he doesn't do a good job with John, but there just isn't enough room to give him the same kind of spotlight as everyone else in the greater sense. I don't want John (despite Snyder's intentions) to end up become the doormat/wallpaper that Cyborg was when he was on the team.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-24-2019 at 07:28 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Not trying to give anyone false hopes here, but I think it should be pointed out that Michael B. Jordan and his production company just signed a first-look ideal with WB. And I'm thinking the fact that it was announced right after Black Panther's Oscar nomination for best picture may not be a mere coincidence. So should MBJ ever take interest in playing Green Lantern, we know it would get fast tracked immediately. Just saying keep an eye on the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Not trying to give anyone false hopes here, but I think it should be pointed out that Michael B. Jordan and his production company just signed a first-look ideal with WB. And I'm thinking the fact that it was announced right after Black Panther's Oscar nomination for best picture may not be a mere coincidence. So should MBJ ever take interest in playing Green Lantern, we know it would get fast tracked immediately. Just saying keep an eye on the guy.
    That would be cool, I guess. I don't think we'll see a Michael B. Jordan John Stewart, but it is genuinely exciting news. MBJ tends to run with some pretty talented black filmmakers so with this new deal, maybe we'll see Warner Bros put some black faces behind the camera in some capacity when they get around to using John. Could do wonders for how the character is played.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-24-2019 at 12:29 PM.

currently following:

I'm not sure I can picture MBJ as standard John, maybe classic O'Neill John, but then again I didn't really think I'd buy him as Killmonger either...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure I can picture MBJ as standard John, maybe classic O'Neill John, but then again I didn't really think I'd buy him as Killmonger either...
    how would you describe the differences and similarities between standard current John and O'Neill's John?

currently following:

how would you describe the differences and similarities between standard current John and O'Neill's John?
    O'Neill's John was more confrontational and a bit more of a firebrand, compared to modern John who's more coolheaded and thoughtful.

Both do present themselves as being very intelligent and creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    O'Neill's John was more confrontational and a bit more of a firebrand, compared to modern John who's more coolheaded and thoughtful.

Both do present themselves as being very intelligent and creative.
    Which would do you think would be more interesting to see in a movie?

currently following:

Which would do you think would be more interesting to see in a movie?
    Ah...I think that's a tough question.

I think it would probably depend on (1) what role John has in the movie, (2) what kind of story they're telling, and (3) the actor.