Page 156 of 902 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256656 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 13529
    Astonishing Member

I am kinda torn on AEW, yes they have some momentum and are bringing in some big stars but there doesn't seem to be a gameplan behind what is going on. I am not sure they have any idea what will be going on 3 months from now. In the WWE it is rumored that next year's Wrestlemania main event is being plotted out right after the end of the previous one. AEW seems like a hodge podge, what is up with Mox? Who are Kenny's next few feuds, what are they going to do with....??? They have tag teams but what storylines are going on with them. What's the plan for death triangle? Is there a plan for the women's division besides the DMD? I like Punk, Danielson and Cole but from a distance it feels like, "hey guys thanks for coming what would you like to do?" Which might make the talent happy at first without a strong hand to guide storylines become a mess like the Hangman Page Omega feud. Why Punk against Darby, even if Punk likes him and wants to give him a rub there needs to be someone to guide the ship that does what is best for business. The Elite themselves are feeling a lot like the N.W.O. in all the worst ways, over powered and self indulgent when it comes to the booking. Not that I am loving WWE right not either but AEW seems to have lots of talent I am just not sure if they know what they are doing with it, like WCW when they had the young Eddie, Jericho, Benoit, Juvi, Psychosis, La Parka all wasted in the shadow of over done Hogan, lazy Nash, drunken Hall and drugged out X-Pac while Sting chilled in the rafters.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Seeing Punk, Danielson, Cole, etc in my current favored promotion, AEW, has reminded me how much I miss Nigel McGuiness. I rewatch 2002-2009 ROH matches a lot but I especially did so this summer in anticipation of AEW's newcomers, and I'm still in mourning Nigel's absence I think. For me, his premature retirement is the most tragic in wrestling history. I miss his fan taunting, I miss the unbelievably awesome submission holds, his Regalesque Euro catch-as-catch-can style, I miss the vicious lariats, the head stand, I miss his spiked hair...I just miss him performing so much.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I am kinda torn on AEW, yes they have some momentum and are bringing in some big stars but there doesn't seem to be a gameplan behind what is going on. I am not sure they have any idea what will be going on 3 months from now. In the WWE it is rumored that next year's Wrestlemania main event is being plotted out right after the end of the previous one. AEW seems like a hodge podge, what is up with Mox? Who are Kenny's next few feuds, what are they going to do with....??? They have tag teams but what storylines are going on with them. What's the plan for death triangle? Is there a plan for the women's division besides the DMD? I like Punk, Danielson and Cole but from a distance it feels like, "hey guys thanks for coming what would you like to do?" Which might make the talent happy at first without a strong hand to guide storylines become a mess like the Hangman Page Omega feud. Why Punk against Darby, even if Punk likes him and wants to give him a rub there needs to be someone to guide the ship that does what is best for business. The Elite themselves are feeling a lot like the N.W.O. in all the worst ways, over powered and self indulgent when it comes to the booking. Not that I am loving WWE right not either but AEW seems to have lots of talent I am just not sure if they know what they are doing with it, like WCW when they had the young Eddie, Jericho, Benoit, Juvi, Psychosis, La Parka all wasted in the shadow of over done Hogan, lazy Nash, drunken Hall and drugged out X-Pac while Sting chilled in the rafters.
    You well articulate a nagging concern of mine as well as far as AEW.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

WWE doesn't have anything planned the day of raw much less for WM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    true but as sad as it is to say, Raw is better now with the seat of the pants stuff than it was for previous 6 months with the boring repetitive stuff. The WWE might need a better plan/firmer hand but it feels like AEW has neither and in the end that might be worse.

Ultimate Member

true but as sad as it is to say, Raw is better now with the seat of the pants stuff than it was for previous 6 months with the boring repetitive stuff. The WWE might need a better plan/firmer hand but it feels like AEW has neither and in the end that might be worse.
    Funny enough, there are rumors that last night's RAW had more wrestling content on it because Vince wasn't watching the show.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Agreed 100%.

The "exodus" of talent, contract expirations,scattershot booking and prompt re-hirings after firings suggest that long-term planning isn't really a strong suit in WWE right now.

Ultimate Member

The challenge is that AEW has a LOT of top guys. As it stands, their top guys (off the top of my head)are:

1. Kenny Omega
    2. Jon Moxley
    3. CM Punk
    4. Brian Danielson
    5. Adam Cole
    6. Hangman Page (?)
    7. Cody Rhodes (?)

Miro could easily move up the rung given his work and the way he's been booked.

They're not really too many to manage if booked carefully.

WWE/WWF did an excellent job of managing multiple top guys at the same time (albeit a long time ago). I think ultimately it's better for a wrestling promotion to have multiple "guys" rather than a "the guy" which WWE craves so badly.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

If Hangman isn't ready to comeback to resume the feud with Omega they can slot in Darby. He's got the momentum and the match with Punk was a major rub for him. He hasn't challenged for the World title yet and would be a fresh match up.

Hopefully with the Bucks not being champs then FTR can be properly utilized as a top heel team for the division.

Still riding the high from All Out ... the G-1 31 tourney is set!

Block A

* Kota Ibushi
    * Tomohiro Ishii
    * Toru Yano
    * Shingo Takagi
    * Tetsuya Naito
    * Zack Sabre Jr.
    * The Great O-Khan
    * KENTA
    * Tanga Loa
    * Yujiro Takahashi

Block B

* Hiroshi Tanahashi
    * Kazuchika Okada
    * Hirooki Goto
    * YOSHI-HASHI
    * SANADA
    * Taichi
    * Jeff Cobb
    * EVIL
    * Tama Tonga
    * Chase Owens
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

How is Jay White not in G1 this year but fucking Yujiro is?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    How is Jay White not in G1 this year but fucking Yujiro is?
    Jay is working with NJPW US and doing their stateside shows, so he can't. Same reason Ospreay and Suzuki aren't in it this year.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The challenge is that AEW has a LOT of top guys. As it stands, their top guys (off the top of my head)are:

1. Kenny Omega
    2. Jon Moxley
    3. CM Punk
    4. Brian Danielson
    5. Adam Cole
    6. Hangman Page (?)
    7. Cody Rhodes (?)

Miro could easily move up the rung given his work and the way he's been booked.

They're not really too many to manage if booked carefully.

WWE/WWF did an excellent job of managing multiple top guys at the same time (albeit a long time ago). I think ultimately it's better for a wrestling promotion to have multiple "guys" rather than a "the guy" which WWE craves so badly.
    I'd day Punk has became the #2 man in promotion quick. He was main center piece of PPV poster on All Out and the report earlier was Warner Media wants a promotional push on him.

He's #2 and its likely gonna be #1 at some point in a few months. I told folks booking plans change. With Punk and Danielson in company now you gotta push em.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

For me (and not necessarily for the masses), AEW's top star is Bryan Danielson now. Though I concede Punk might be the top drawing star right now.

Danielson might be out of his prime, but he might have enough left to top Omega as the best in-ring talent AEW has right now. And in-ring talent is what's most important for me.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

I mean, Danielson is like Christian imo. You can put him in anything and it'll be worth watching. TBH I can see Tony having to talk him down from being *too* generous with the new guys.

Punk has 7 years of build or lack-there-of compared to Bryan.

That can go either way to a push but Punk strikes me as the SPECIAL ATTRACTION whereas Bryan is the workshorse.

And they actually have opposite deals (Punk has more dates and is in it for the long haul whereas Bryan has an open contract and less dates).

I think there's more value in Omega vs. Bryan RIGHT NOW than Punk vs. Omega.

Punk's shine might ebb and flow but never really drop till a year or two later and Bryan's will probably drop faster.

Punk eventually getting the AEW title will be a watershed moment whereas Bryan will probably just be a pop in sales and interest.

And the true value in Punk is his heel work, which IMHO they need him to share sooner than later.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 09-07-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium