Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Well, I WAS looking forward to these... until I saw that JJ F'ing Abrams is involved. Hard Pass.
    Plenty of lens flare without a good ending

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Because as weird as it is to think about as a fan, this new Supergirl isn't replacing the CW's Supergirl - she's replacing the DCEU's Superman. She's the Super of the cinematic universe going forward, that's why she's getting a show.

Because a lot of people, myself included, liked the movie and liked Black Canary in it. True the film didn't have great BO success, but the ratings/reviews were largely good to great and it's done extremely well since on home video and streaming.

Batgirl isn't in limbo - they've already have the script, the actress to play Barbara is cast, and they've confirmed JK Simmons is returning to play Jim Gordon.
    Yeah, BoP wasn't a bad movie, for a Harley Quinn movie that is

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I don't see the point in not having everything connected, it's not like the CW had their Crisis crossover and showed every HBO max show and Ezra Miller as the flash with their flash.

It could easily be like the actual comics how all the heroes live on the same planet, but they all do their own thing.... Unless they want a crossover
    I prefer keeping some of the shows and films separate to be honest. After over a decade where absolutely every single Marvel product has to be in the shared universe without fail, it's kind of refreshing to have some superhero shows just not do the shared universe thing again. I know everyone else on the planet wants DC to copy Marvel this way, but I like the variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, BoP wasn't a bad movie, for a Harley Quinn movie that is
    Pretty much. Fans of the Birds of Prey of the comics, as well as Cass Cain fans, largely hated the movie, hence why if you took your impression from this forum it'd be easy to get the idea it was a shitty movie - but to most people who saw it and aren't wrapped up in the comic BOP, it was a really fun movie.

I prefer keeping some of the shows and films separate to be honest. After over a decade where absolutely every single Marvel product has to be in the shared universe without fail, it's kind of refreshing to have some superhero shows just not do the shared universe thing again. I know everyone else on the planet wants DC to copy Marvel this way, but I like the variety.
    The Marvel approach was annoying. Things would happen on Agents of Shield that were earth shaking (no pun intended) and they were ignored in the movies or, worse yet, an alternate version of the same thing they just did on AoS would be done in the movies. It might as well have been an alternate reality.

Now, if it is true that the movies may introduce their own Daredevil, then all the canon Netflix stuff has been flipped to non-canon for the MCU.

Better to make the movies and shows separate than to make the shows irrelevant.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

I don't get this complaint. Shared universe doesn't equal everything being the same.

Pretty much. Fans of the Birds of Prey of the comics, as well as Cass Cain fans, largely hated the movie, hence why if you took your impression from this forum it'd be easy to get the idea it was a shitty movie - but to most people who saw it and aren't wrapped up in the comic BOP, it was a really fun movie.
    It was ok, not great, but ok. Black Canary and Huntress had potential but were underdeveloped. I just though Harley Quinn overshadows everyone, and I'm not sure if she's supposed to be a hero or not.

Because as weird as it is to think about as a fan, this new Supergirl isn't replacing the CW's Supergirl - she's replacing the DCEU's Superman. She's the Super of the cinematic universe going forward, that's why she's getting a show.
    And looks even more like a gender-flip of Superman .

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The Marvel approach was annoying. Things would happen on Agents of Shield that were earth shaking (no pun intended) and they were ignored in the movies or, worse yet, an alternate version of the same thing they just did on AoS would be done in the movies. It might as well have been an alternate reality.

Now, if it is true that the movies may introduce their own Daredevil, then all the canon Netflix stuff has been flipped to non-canon for the MCU.

Better to make the movies and shows separate than to make the shows irrelevant.
    I'm pretty sure either we won't get Daredevil or if we do they're going to recast. On the slim chance we do get Daredevil and it somehow still is Netflix guy, they'd still do something else to contradict what happened in his Netflix series.

I don't get this complaint. Shared universe doesn't equal everything being the same.
    I think you have me wrong - I didn't say that everything in a shared universe is or has to be the same. I just said it's refreshing that after a decade of it it's refreshing to have something break with that model. It's a different kind of variety getting versions of characters that don't have to fit into the universe or some larger everything is connected plan.

It was ok, not great, but ok. Black Canary and Huntress had potential but were underdeveloped. I just though Harley Quinn overshadows everyone, and I'm not sure if she's supposed to be a hero or not.
    Well of course - Harley Quinn was meant to outshine the others, it was always her film, her vehicle. It wasn't a film about the team, despite the name. They were supporting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And looks even more like a gender-flip of Superman .
    Outside of hair color how does she look more like a gender flipped Superman than usual?

Ultimate Member

I think you have me wrong - I didn't say that everything in a shared universe is or has to be the same. I just said it's refreshing that after a decade of it it's refreshing to have something break with that model. It's a different kind of variety getting versions of characters that don't have to fit into the universe or some larger everything is connected plan.
    I don't really see it as refreshing considering that's how DC's always done it. This is just going back to an even older status quo. And the isolated superhero who never interacts with anyone comes off as outdated to me.

Well of course - Harley Quinn was meant to outshine the others, it was always her film, her vehicle. It wasn't a film about the team, despite the name. They were supporting characters.
    Yeah, but then why calling it BoP?

Outside of hair color how does she look more like a gender flipped Superman than usual?
    I don't see it either.

The hair, the costume seems more Cavill, and it doesn't really look much like Supergirl.

I don't really see it as refreshing considering that's how DC's always done it. This is just going back to an even older status quo. And the isolated superhero who never interacts with anyone comes off as outdated to me.
    The things we dislike are always outdated, the things we like never are. After 13 solid years of one cinematic universe dominating the genre, a second cinematic universe flailing behind in an impossible attempt at catching up and becoming relevant, a third failed cinematic universe but with monsters, and a fourth cinematic universe of mixed success but with giant monsters, I do hope you are willing to understand that this is subjective not objective and some of us can feel cinematic universe burn out and that after a decade of it that the concept of a shared universe can feel very outdated to me. I don't want everything superhero to be in a cinematic universe anymore, I find having some things existing outside of that model new again and refreshing.

You are free to not get it, to hate movies existing outside of the universe, to deeply wish everything DC was in the same shared universe like how Marvel does it. But I don't have to agree with what you want to see, and your opinion isn't objective fact on what is or isn't a refreshing change of pace for other people.

Yeah, but then why calling it BoP?
    I don't know either. They should've just called it what it was Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey. But they didn't, for whatever reason.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The sad part is finding out the CW show has been canceled. There were a lot of parts of it I truly liked. But it might be refreshing to have a show that, hopefully, does not follow the CW formula.
    It was its best on CBS. It just got worse each season on the CW -- too many social issues and not enough action/adventure. Plus, I hate the characters they created -- and to go as far as making her sister a costume hero -- just horrible. I don't have any interest in a new Supergirl who isn't based on classic Kara Zor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The hair, the costume seems more Cavill, and it doesn't really look much like Supergirl.
    The hair isn't fair, she was never going to be blonde once they cast the actress that they chose. And of course the costume looks like Cavill, Supergirl's costume always look a lot like Superman's, they're going to do more textured costumes in films than shows like the CW, and for some reason they believe that the skirt is somehow problematic. So, textured Superman looking costume without a skirt, hard not to look like Cavill.