Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

There better be a good reason for the change, since adaptations that make unnecessary changes usually do bad.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    There better be a good reason for the change, since adaptations that make unnecessary changes usually do bad.
    Sounds like a mid-2000s superhero movie thing

Anyway, I don't think the Green Lantern power is as interesting as actual shapeshifting. Her powers are basically an improvement over both Mr. Fantastic & Ant-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I was holding onto the tiny hope that maybe the constructs would work alongside the stretching powers, but looking at how they chose to portray her iconic embiggened fist like... yeah, it definitely looks like they're just straight-up replacing one power for another. I mean, you never know until the show is out... but things are not looking too positive so far.

Anyway, since everyone is already talking about the fists... did anyone notice the platform she's standing on? It kinda looks like it crystallized from her foot, if that makes sense. I wonder if this means the purple energy thing will be something that can be controlled from any part of her body. I also think that this might be their alternative to her stretching her legs/arms to reach high places: she will instead summon a platform that can move her around.

There is another merch picture that alludes to this, with her seemingly floating on top of a crystallized platform:

So basically Ms. Marvel on a budget.

Again, it just looks weird.

Poor Armor is useless now that Kamala stole her powers. I feel like this is to avoid Reed Richards overuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Poor Armor is useless now that Kamala stole her powers. I feel like this is to avoid Reed Richards overuse.
    Honestly any comparison to Reed Richards powers are just from writers being lazy with their use of Kamala’s powers. She’s so much more than just stretching and enlarging her fists with the fact that she’s a polymorph. She basically has more in common with Plastic Man than Reed. Writers just never use her powers creatively.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

The Reed argument never made any sense, specially now that Marvel Studios is actively introducing so many characters with the same powerset/abilities/tech as existing heroes. Wasp, Hawkeye, Black Widow, She-Hulk, Thor, Ironheart, Wiccan, Speed, multiple different Lokis, whoever is the new Black Panther. Some of the Eternals also have duplicate abilities when you think about it (Thena/Hela, Sprite/Loki, Gilgamesh and anyone with super-strenght, Druig/Scarlet Witch with the mind control). So I don't know why they would need to draw the line at Kamala, specially when Reed is years away from being introduced. There is definitely another reason why this is being done, and my guess is that it boils down to time and money being saved on the CGI for her show, and perhaps an attempt to make her powers more energy-like so she can fit in with Carol and Monica in the Captain Marvel franchise.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 10-24-2021 at 10:19 AM.

The Reed argument never made any sense, specially now that Marvel Studios is actively introducing so many characters with the same powerset/abilities/tech as existing heroes. Wasp, Hawkeye, Black Widow, She-Hulk, Thor, Ironheart, Wiccan, Speed, multiple different Lokis, whoever is the new Black Panther. Some of the Eternals also have duplicate abilities when you think about it (Thena/Hela, Sprite/Loki, Gilgamesh and anyone with super-strenght, Druig/Scarlet Witch with the mind control). So I don't know why they would need to draw the line at Kamala, specially when Reed is years away from being introduced. There is definitely another reason why this is being done, and my guess is that it boils down to time and money being saved on the CGI for her show, and perhaps an attempt to make her powers more energy-like so she can fit in with Carol and Monica in the Captain Marvel franchise.
    She is totally getting her powers from Kree tech.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Sounds like a mid-2000s superhero movie thing

Anyway, I don't think the Green Lantern power is as interesting as actual shapeshifting. Her powers are basically an improvement over both Mr. Fantastic & Ant-Man.
    Not just superhero, novels as well. GoT did great when it followed the books to the best of its ability, the more off script they went the worst they did. Harry Potter is the same. Percy Jackson, and Artemis Fowl made really big left turns and got failures.

I wouldn't say improvements, but positive alternatives. Mr. Fantastice can stretch better, but Ms. Marvel get a strength increase. No one is upstaging, or if someone felt there is one is better in one section compared to another. Almost like a videogame talent tree builds.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

https://twitter.com/_CharlesMurphy/s...80506800877582

Is this supposed to be the official name of her ''big fist attack''? 'Cause getting rid of the ''embiggen'' is... definitely a choice that they could make if they want to piss off fans even further.

The reaction to this has been so bad all over social media... I doubt anything will change for the show now that post-production is probably nearing its end. But I truly wonder if Marvel will be pretty much bullied into making her closer to the comics in an eventual season 2.

Makes sense that they'd change it if they've changed her powers. She's not embiggening her fist, she's creating a crystal construct. The smash in Crystal Smash is probably a Hulk reference - it's one of Kamala's character traits that she's a big superhero fangirl before she becomes one herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She is totally getting her powers from Kree tech.
    That would make sense. MCU Kamala does need a completely new origin, as her comics one is tied in to the Infinity event which launched the Inhumans push. And after the Inhumans show flopped, no real surprise if MCU Kamala ends up completely divorced from them.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 10-24-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

https://twitter.com/_CharlesMurphy/s...80506800877582

Is this supposed to be the official name of her ''big fist attack''? 'Cause getting rid of the ''embiggen'' is... definitely a choice that they could make if they want to piss off fans even further.

The reaction to this has been so bad all over social media... I doubt anything will change for the show now that post-production is probably nearing its end. But I truly wonder if Marvel will be pretty much bullied into making her closer to the comics in an eventual season 2.
    I wonder if they're going to connect her powers to video games and she acts like they're attack moves with names like Hadoken or Shoryuken and Kamala has "Crystal Smash."

Although at the same time the idea of her not saying "embiggen" just feels wrong.

Seems like we're seeing some disconnect between the comic fans and the hardcore MCU audience who pretty much embraces everything the MCU does.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Makes sense that they'd change it if they've changed her powers. She's not embiggening her fist, she's creating a crystal construct. The smash in Crystal Smash is probably a Hulk reference - it's one of Kamala's character traits that she's a big superhero fangirl before she becomes one herself.

That would make sense. MCU Kamala does need a completely new origin, as her comics one is tied in to the Infinity event which launched the Inhumans push. And after the Inhumans show flopped, no real surprise if MCU Kamala ends up completely divorced from them.
    I would imagine if the Inhumans didn't flop Kamala wouldn't be in this situation.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I would imagine if the Inhumans didn't flop Kamala wouldn't be in this situation.
    The decision for her to say Crystal Smash like some drug fiend instead of Embiggen disputes that idea that her potential to flop is due to the Inhuman failure to launch. Bad decisions are still being made for the IP.
    Last edited by Tofali; 10-24-2021 at 01:05 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

So because the Infumans failed so terribly & were excommunicated so to speak their giving her a magic bracelet for powers is what I've gathered? Well since it's on Disney Plus it can't fail so they don't need to worry about that I do wonder if this will lead to a 616 retcon though....

Blaming it on the failure of the Inhumans TV show makes no sense considering Agents Of Shield introduced Inhumans first and had a bunch of different Newhumans in it.