Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

I can't help but feel cynical about this change. I'm all for eqaul gender but why not try to elevate one of the Thor's supporting cast like sif or Valkyire.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    Not sure about Helen Miren. I think I would prefer Judi Dench.
    Heh. I'd expect a Helen Miren Doctor to be like River Song but dialed up to 11.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Except Thor is not a title, but a proper given name. The female equivalent would be Thordis.

But it's all good, just as if a woman wanted to be named Dick, Jack, Harry, or some other typically male name it would be all good. Presumably the new Thor didn't care for how Thordis sounded.

And I hope that it's Jane Foster, just like in the classic What If?
    Thor is whatever Marvel says it is. If its a title and mantle, then so be it.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    Harsh. But I get where you're coming from.
    admittedly i dont read the Thor comics. but, i do like the character and now days with this gender swapping, sexual orientation and racial diversity ...stuff.. is getting a bit annoying. changing established characters to appeal to an audience is frustrating. I prefer bringing in new characters for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Exactly.

Yes, none of that's true, because YOUR analogy or logic doesn't pass muster. As well as kind of insulting, as neither the job of CEO or President is male exclusive.

Unless Marvel plans to actually give Thor a sex change, like Fem Loki, this is probably a book I'm dropping.
    Apparently, the title of Thor is no longer male-exclusive. So says Marvel. That is pretty definitive.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

BANNED

How many Thor knock offs has Marvel had now? I lost count.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    They are all known by their numbers. If Helen Miren has been the Doctor (in my dreams she is!) then she would have just been the 13th Doctor.
    And it's not like it's a new character taking on the name of the Doctor. Hopefully the OP knows the difference between actor and character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by genixx View Post
    admittedly i dont read the Thor comics. but, i do like the character and now days with this gender swapping, sexual orientation and racial diversity ...stuff.. is getting a bit annoying. changing established characters to appeal to an audience is getting out of hand. I prefer bringing in new characters for that.
    I agree with you, but every time someone talks about creating new characters for diversity's sakes on this board they get attacked for being sexist, or racist or any other 'ist. And then they give the excuse that new characters just can't last in this market. Which makes no sense, because a lot of existing characters nowadays where new at one point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by genixx View Post
    omg I love that
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    And it's not like it's a new character taking on the name of the Doctor. Hopefully the OP knows the difference between actor and character.
    The fact that people can tell the difference between the doctors makes my point entirely. Taking over a title/mantle does not erase identity even in cases where the shift is the same person with a different appearance. Logic....busted.
    Pull List

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    And Marvel has said repeatedly it's his proper name. So Thor will still be Thor Odinson, at the same time that this new character is 'Thor'. Losing the hammer will not make his name not be Thor, any more than it would make it not be Steve or Johnny.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. It be one thing is Thor was dead or something of that nature, but nope he's still alive, just completely stripped of his identity.

Taking away someone's name? I'm sorry, that's just cruel.

so is this Valkyrie?
    Is she Thor now?
    Will Thor now be known as Fulgora? <--- Fulgora is the female personification of thunder in mythology
    why is this the new status quo going forward? Is Marvel just trying to have a female in the big three to go against Wonder Woman in DC?

Is Odin dying?
    With all the recent development is Odin finally dying and Thor taking the throne and becoming Odinson now?
    dammit stupid announcement raises more questions than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    They are all known by their numbers. If Helen Miren has been the Doctor (in my dreams she is!) then she would have just been the 13th Doctor.
    No they're not. The War Doctor doesn't consider himself a Doctor, so did not have a number, and is officially called the War Doctor because of that. Nine is still the ninth Doctor. And they're all called Doctor in the series. Rose didn't go around say 'Nine' or 'Ten.'

Thor will be Thor, just like Bucky Barnes was Captain America, and Kate Bishop is Hawkeye.

BANNED

Kind of like how if a company got a new CEO and its a female, she is instantly considered lesser.....

Or how if a female becomes President she is instantly considered lesser....

Wait, none of that is true.

No. The answer is no. Your logic does not pass muster. Legacy is legacy. Male, Female, Black, Gay.....the position holds the power. The only time one would be considered lesser is if they change the position in light of the recipient - like Thorita or some such nonsense.

If you are sad because Marvel isn't making a new female character from whole cloth, then why the outrage....Marvel isn't even creating new male characters from whole cloth.
    Until both Marvel and DC start offering creator ownership of characters created, I am fine with the Legacy characters.