Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

14) Tenet (2020) - This one did not work for me. The special effects were really interesting, but the story was flimsy, overly complicated and not featuring anything close to what one would call an interesting character. It's like Nolan took all the criticism of his previous work and decided to make a movie featuring only his tropes that are usually panned. I know Nolan is the internet's Golden Calf, but I've really struggled with his last four films with this one being by far the worst for me. [Amazon Rental]

15) One Night in Miami (2020) - A really fun, thought provoking and moving fictionalized interpretation of a meeting between four major black icons of the early 60s (Malcolm X, Sam Cooke, Muhammad Ali, and Jim Brown). It's a film based on a play, so it struggles with being cinematic at times, but the performances are across the board strong. Plus its worth the price of admission for the final montage alone. [Amazon Prime]

16) The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020) - This is pretty clear Awards bait, but I enjoyed it. I'm familiar with the subject matter and being naturally interested in New Left organizations, so this film was made for me. Great performances all around and the writing is as crisp as you could hope for for an Aaron Sorkin script. In a way it felt a little documentary-esque where it was just a recounting of the events without much in the way of perspective, which I found to be a bit of a shame. [Netflix]

17) Promising Young Woman (2020) - I thought this was great. It was a little predictable, but if got to where you expect it to go in pretty interesting ways. The director also did an interesting thing where she was constantly reframing the narrative in subtle ways. Like she would create twists, but not make a big deal out of them. It made the movie feel a lot more organic. It was equal parts crowd pleaser and thought provoking. It also does this cool thing where every character in the film is played by a well-known actor or personality, which I think made the film's themes way more effective.[Amazon Rental]

18) Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020) - It makes me really sad that with this film we have the totality of Chadwick Bosemen's film career. He is absolutely transcendent in this and gives a performance that would be making him a clear favorite to win awards, even if he was still with us. Unfortunately, I did not really care for the rest of the film. It's another adaption of a play, but this fares even worse than One Night in Miami. You could really sense that it is supposed to be a thing where a talented actor steps into the spotlight and delivers a monologue. One after the other. I think I would have loved this on stage, but it just didn't work as a movie. [Netflix]

19) Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - I am quickly finding out that Crime Comedy is one of my favorite genres and this was a great one. I found that it took a little bit to get going, but once it did, I was completely on board. RDJ was great as that character we know to be the RDJ archetype dialing the charm up to 1000, but he had a vulnerability here that you don't often see from him these days. Val Kilmer was even better though. I wish he did more. He was fantastic. [Blu-ray]

20) The Nice Guys (2016) - Continuing my Shane Black watch-a-thon, we come to this one. I adored this movie. I'd watch a dozen movies starring Crowe and Gosling as these characters breaking up conspiracies in 1970s LA. This might actually be the first time that I have truly enjoyed Ryan Gosling. Where he is usually so subdued, here, he was so deliciously over the top. Killer script and incredibly stylized, this was such a fun watch. I can easily see this one becoming a movie I just throw on when I don't know what else to watch. [Blu-ray]

For February, I'm watching at least five films by black directors, five films nominated for Critics Choice awards this year, and five films starring one actress: Viola Davis (there is some overlap). I do not expect anyone to follow with any of these sub-challen

Movie #26/ New Movie #15: Shadow in the Cloud (Redbox)
    This movie varies a lot tonally, but I enjoyed it. For the first half, as the lead is stuck in a gun turret, there’s a great sense of claustrophobia and the difficulty of figuring out what’s going on out of sight. There’s a twist through the film that reveals what she’s fighting for, and why things are so intense for her. The gremlin here is a decent horror-movie monster, although there is a sense of unreality to it all. But it is fun.
    8/10

Movie #27/ New Movie #16: Sinister (Showtime)
    Ethan Hawke is decent as a flawed true crime writer who moves his family to a haunted house. When he has an argument with his wife, it’s different from what you expect in a horror movie; it gets to more intense places. There are some really creepy scenes and a twisted backstory. It’s marred by some plot-induced stupidity like a boneheaded decision not to call the cops when suspicious evidence of cult-like activity arrives, and scenes where the audience is ahead of the characters during key twists.
    7/10

Movie #28/ New Movie #17: Spies- A Small Film With Lots of Action (Kino Blu-Ray)
    It’s a documentary about the making and response to a decent Fritz Lang film. It gets to some nuances about his lesser-known work, and the particular difficulties of restoration with a style of film production that resulted in multiple versions of the same films being released all over the world, some using different and inferior cuts.
    7/10

Movie #29/ New Movie #18: Conan the Barbarian (Showtime)
    The fantasy epic is sometimes entertaining in a WTF way, but sometimes kinda boring. Schwarzenegger is decent as Conan, which is what you expect from a movie that was the breakout role for one of the biggest stars of the planet. The fantasy world is surprisingly bland.
    5/10

Movie #30/ New Movie #19: Legacy of the Niebulgen (Kino Blu-Ray)
    It’s a decent slightly unfocused look at the post-production of Fritz Lang’s Niebulgen epic, which had some complications. The movie was embraced by the Nazis as evidence of Germany’s glory days, but still respected later, which is an interesting analysis in its own right. It was released in two films, the first part Siegfried being much more popular, with the second part Kriemhild’s Revenge having a less commercial story and a rushed director, which makes restoration difficult.
    7/10

Movie #31/ New Movie #20/ Black Director #1/ Viola Davis Film #1/ Critics Choice Nominee #1: Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)
    It’s an excellent showcase for Viola Davis, playing a very different character than in her other August Wilson film adaptation, and Chadwick Boseman, whose horn player initially seems like an ambitious upstart, until some revelations about his past show that he’s much more deliberate, complex and damaged than we expected. It’s a great take on race, celebrity and ambition, with artists struggling with the limits of the time.
    9/10

Movie #32/ New Movie #21/ Critics Choice Nominee #2: Malcolm & Marie (Netflix)
    It’s more complex about what it says about film and storytelling than the backlash about how indulgent it is would suggest. The young director is pissed off about a critic, but the film doesn’t exclusively take his side. The characters sometimes come across more as vessels for ideas than people- it could’ve used a few rewrites/ more takes to get to a higher-level of emotional authenticity, even if Zendaya especially is often very good. The black & white cinematography is beautiful.
    7/10

Movie #33/ New Movie #22/ Black Director #2/ Critics Choice Nominee #2: One Night in Miami (Amazon)
    A scene where we see what a Sam Cooke performance looks like from the back row is one of my favorites this year, and a big part of why Regina King is in contention for Best Director. This is a movie about ideas and the best ways to make a difference featuring four famous young African-American men, two of whom are athletes and one of whom is a singer who just wants to party. It reveals complexities in the characters, and subverts expectations. If you think it’s about what inspires Sam Cooke to write “A Change is Gonna Come” it turns out that he already wrote it. Leslie Odom is exceptional as Cooke, seen as a sellout but navigating dangerous waters effectively to make things better.
    10/10

Movie #34/ New Movie #23/ Viola Davis Film #2: Doubt (Blu-Ray)
    An interesting pairing with One Night in Miami, as another theatrical adaptation set shortly after Kennedy’s assassination. Showcase for four well-deserved Academy Award nominated performances: Amy Adams as a novice who gets swept into a power struggle and investigation into heinous crimes, Meryl Streep as a strict nun in changing times, Viola Davis as a mother in an absurd situation with limited options and Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a flawed but compassionate priest who may have done something terrible. It gets into some serious questions about uncertainty; spiritually, politically and when it comes to the people around us.
    9/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Didn't see this thread earlier so here is hat I had for January, oddly enough I keep a log of all the movies I've watched. Most of it was on HBO MAX and January was a very busy month for me.

1. Fast and furious Tokyo drift 1/2
    2. Batman and Harley Quinn 1/3
    3. Batman: Assault on Arkham 1/4
    4. Batman: Bad Blood 1/4
    5. Karate Kid Part III 1/7
    6. Wonder Woman 1984 1/16
    7. Roger Waters The Wall 1/16
    8. Cold Creek Manor 1/17
    9. Terminator: Dark Fate 1/17
    10. Purple Rain 1/17
    11. Batman: Death in the Family 1/17
    12. Batman: Gotham by Gaslight 1/22
    13. Tolkien 1/26
    14. Return to Oz 1/29
    15. Back to the Future 1/31
    16. Back to the Future II 1/31
    17. Back to the Future III 1/31

The only one I would guess I'd need clarification on would be Roger Waters The Wall. It is basically a concert of Rogers Waters preforming the entire Wall album and would be really enjoyable for any fan of Pink Floyd. It does give some back ground on Waters family and how both his grandfather and father were killed in World Wars and some of his inspiration in writing The Wall in-between songs.

I would imagine concert movies count.

It's a subgenre of documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post
    Nice tackle of the sub-challenge Mister Mets.
    I've seen Donnie Darko, 1984, and The Truman Show.
    They do make me think, so I'm sure the rest of the movies you listed can have the same effect.
    I'm not following my own sub-challenge, because that would mean I would have to rewatch movies I already saw, and quite frankly I rather watch a mediocre new-to-me film than a great one I can still recall in details.
    A new feature for me this year, I will rate the movies I watched on a scale of 5 stars:
    ✰✰✰✰✰ Really liked it. Although rarely buy DVDs and BluRays anymore, I would still love to see this film again in probably 10 years' time.
    ✰✰✰✰ It was just as entertaining as the 5-star movie, but I wouldn't necessarily buy it, or be upset if I don't see it again.
    ✰✰✰ A good film with flaws. Still... comfortable to recommend it.
    ✰✰ A movie I suffered through, saw only the beginning then skipped to the end, took a nap for a while, left it playing while engaged in other activities. Not recommended, nor qualifies here.
    Watched the first 10-20 minutes then turned it off. You won't see it listed here either.

1. Rogue (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    2. Suburra (2015) - ✰✰✰✰
    3. Alibi.com (2017) - ✰✰✰✰
    4. The Hunt (2020) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    5. The Big Ugly (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    6. Birds Of Prey (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    7. The Vanished (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    8. Asphalt Burning (2020) - ✰✰✰
    9. Train To Busan (2016) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    10. Outside The Wire (2021) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    11. Shadow In The Cloud (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    12. Attack On Titan Part 1 / Part 2 (2015) - ✰✰✰
    13. Train To Busan Presents: Peninsula (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    14. Enter The Fat Dragon (2020) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    15. Bad Boys For Life (2020) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    16. The Midnight Sky (2020) - ✰✰✰
    17. Fantasy Island (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    18. Project Power (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    19. Run Hide Fight (2020) - ✰✰✰
    20. Honest Thief (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    21. Death Of Me (2020) - ✰✰✰
    22. Below Zero (2021) - ✰✰✰
    23. Sightless (2020) - ✰✰✰
    24. Seized (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    25. Taxi 4 (2007) - ✰✰✰
    I like the idea of one-star being something so bad you can't finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    5) Shirley (2020) - This was a pretty fun snapshot of the life of an interesting figure. I love that it kind of gave her life the vibe of a Shirley Jackson short story instead of just telling her story in typical biopic, sequential narrative format. It did meander a bit though and I don't think they quite landed the messaging. [Hulu]

6) Raising Arizona (1987) - So much fun. I don't think it quite hits the same highs as a Fargo or has the consistency of tone as The Big Lewbowski and it got a bit too over the top at the end, but I had a really good time watching this one. [Blu-ray]

7) Paths of Glory (1957) - Maybe one of the most upsetting movies that I've seen in a very long time. As someone who considers themself a bit of a pacifist, this made me hate war more than I already did. Should be required viewing before running for office or accepting a promotion to a leadership position in the military. [Criterion Channel]

8) They Shall Not Grow Old (2018) - To continue our trip of watching movies about World War 1, we have Peter Jackson's technical marvel where he went in and remastered footage from the war. I would have liked to have seen a bit more narrative and chronology. It doesn't really work as a documentary on its own and works better as a supplement to other materials. [Blu-ray]

9) The Matrix (1999) - This did not hold up well on re-watch. It's still a solid, original film, but it is the definition of style over substance. The all-black leather aesthetic just looks laughable in 2021, perhaps due to how many films' costuming were influenced by this one (looking at you, X-Men). Definitely not a bad film, but it's hard to say that it's a great one. [Blu-ray]

10) Aliens (1986) - I have surprisingly never seen this; made even more surprising by the fact that the original is one of my favorite movies of all time. Maybe it's because I love the first one so much or that I had years of expectations, but I was a little disappointed. The characters and tone are just not as strong for me as the first one. It did a good job increasing the steaks, but I wanted more. [HBO Max]

11) The Princess Bride (1987)* - My wife and I watched this for a Socially Distant Dinner and a movie that our local Indie Theater put on. Their cafe made Mutton Lettuce and Tomato Sandwiches, Beef Stew and Peanut "Buttercup" Pies for desert and had an online discussion after the film. It was a lot of fun, great food, great film. How can you not like this movie? [Blu-ray]

12) Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - This was great. Visually arresting and it's not just the well shot desert vistas. The camera is doing so much heavy lifting and rarely taking the easy way out in any one shot. The character work is surprisingly good for the era as well. [Blu-ray]

13) Casablanca (1942)* - I genuinely think that this is a perfect movie. If there were someone who was raised in captivity and had no clue what a movie was, this is the one I would show them. It's firing on all cylinders and I attribute that to it being one of the first cross-genre movies. It's a romance, it's a war movie, it's a thriller, it's kind of a noir. Having now seen all of the first 25 movies on the AFI Top 100 list, this is the only one that I can comfortably say deserves its placement without question. This is the best that the medium has to offer. [Blu-ray]
    "They Shall Not Grow Old" is a weird film in that to really appreciate it, you've got to watch the half-hour behind the scenes explanation "The Making of "They Shall Not Grow Old" (which should be included in the blu-ray) which gives the entire project necessary context.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I would imagine concert movies count.

It's a subgenre of documentary.
    Awesome, I don't watch that many of them but Its's nice to know that they count.

22. Escape from New York (1981) 2/5 on HBO MAX
    23. Escape from L.A. (1996) 2/5 on Amazon Prime
    Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell)the quintessential 80s action hero almost a caricature in B-movie form. I don't know if that was what Carpenter was going for but it turned out awesome. The sequel? Russell is back growling almost every line and it's very campy with poor CGI it's it falls short of the first one but I found it entertaining. John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars (2001) was originally intended to be a third Snake Plissken film entitled "Escape From Mars," but when Escape From L.A. did not do well at the box office it was rewrote.

24. Blade Runner (1982) Scott's definitive The Final Cut (2007) 2/8 Owned on Amazon Video
    25. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) 2/8 Owned on Amazon Video
    Bade Runner was I think the first movie that every made me feel symphony for the "bad guy" in such a way that his death had an impact. I really like Deckard and the story of a man who falls for the thing he hunts but to me it's Roy Batty that makes the move. The Sequel was ok a little long and it's missing having a well done antagonist. Wallace Corporation and Niander Wallace were very cliché in that role. There was no "tears in the rain" moment

26. Blood of Heroes (1989) 2/8 on Amazon Prime
    I don't know if this is a guilty pleasure. After watching Rutger Hauer in Bade Runner felt like I needed to watch this movie. There is really noting special about it. It's a generic underdog story set in a post apocalyptic world. With that said I still love this movie

27. Light of my Life (2019) 2/9 on Amazon Prime
    There is slow burn and then there is no burn. This movie is boring withCasey Affleck being the most boring part, buy the end I was sick of hearing his voice and do not feel the desire to watch anything with him in it any time soon. I felt like 80% of the movie was just him talking. I would suggest some one watch The Road based of Cormac McCarthy book of the same name (which I could not find streaming at the moment) instead of this movie.

28. After Darkness (2019) 2/10 on Hulu
    You ever watch a movie and then tell your self that that is 2 hours of your life that you will never get back. Do yourself a favor and do not watch this movie. It is a family drama about a family that you really don't care about with a time clock to the count down to the end of the world. It tries to build tension at some points but fails on all accounts. It will be forever on my do not re-watch list.

29. Book of Eli (2010) 2/11 Owned on Vudu
    Take Rutger Hauer's character in Blind Fury cast Denzel Washington and put him in a Mad Max film and you have the Book of Eli. It is an enjoyable movie with a twist that you may not see coming (see what I did there). Gary Oldman is awesome as always and Mila Kunis did well as I think this and Max Payne are her only real action movies.

30. Children of Men (2006) 2/11 on Peacock TV
    A good solid movie. This is one of those movies that gets better with time, don't know if it's the geopolitical aspect or that I just didn't appreciate it the first time that I saw it. It paints convincing world that I hope never happens with actions scenes that are done amazingly.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Just watched my 25th film for the year. Body is 2015 thriller with a minimalist cast and the directorial debut of Dan Berk and Robert Olsen. A decent, if not outstanding, effort, the directors show an understanding of their limited budget and how to work within it and around it. I'll be keeping an out by other work by them.

My films to date:

1) The Dry (2020)
    2) Becky (2020)
    3) The Gatling Gun (1971)
    4) Angel (1983)
    5) Monster Hunter (2020)
    6) Asian School Girls (2014)
    7) Ring of Fear (1954)
    8) 1994 Baker Street: Sherlock Holmes Returns (1993)
    9) Miss Meadows (2014)
    10) Promising Young Woman (2020)
    11) Hooded Angels (2002)
    12) Stiletto (2008)
    13) A Jolly Bad Fellow (1964)
    14) Felon (2008)
    15) Serial Killing 4 Dummys (2004)
    16) The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
    17) Starred Up (2013)
    18) The Locals (2003)
    19) Black Angel Vol. 1 (1997)
    20) Death Ring (1992)
    21) Wrong Turn (2003)
    22) Sands of the Kalahari (1965)
    23) The Lookout (2007)
    24) Intruders (2015)
    25) Body (2015)
    Last edited by foxley; 02-20-2021 at 04:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I stopped counting already but John Wick 1-2 are the bomb. I also enjoyed the Rental on Amazon.

For February, I'm continuing with sub-challenges of watching at least five films by black directors, five films nominated for Critics Choice awards this year, and five films starring one actress: Viola Davis (there is some overlap). I do not expect anyone to follow with any of these sub-challenges.

My sub-challenges in March will be five movies with the same streaming service (Arrow-mainly because I just found out about it recently), five films nominated for the next Academy Awards and five films about movies/filmmaking (there's likely to be some overlap with Arrow documentaries and films like Mank likely to be nominated.)

Movie #35/ New Movie #24: Southland Tales (Cannes Cut) (Arrow Blu-Ray)
    This is more of a rough cut than a directors cut, showing the unfinished version that had a mixed reaction in Cannes. I can certainly see why. Some ideas are modern, and if it seems dated, it’s because of references to things that happened a few years ago but still after the movie came out (a plot involving police body cameras, a porn star using her celebrity to create a Kardashian style brand) although the camerawork is a product of the time. The mix of stars who broke out (Dwayne Johnson, Justin Timberlake, Mandy Moore, Amy Poehler) and hasbeens (Sean William Scott, Bai Ling) gets to the mixed quality.
    6/10

Movie #36/ New Movie #25: Bad Education (HBO Max)
    Decent take on an education finance scandal, which isn’t the most exciting topic, but raises some meaningful questions. Hugh Jackman’s performance is a bit evasive, in that he has to hide major parts of himself (both in terms of crimes and his private life) from others around him.
    7/10

Movie #37/ New Movie #26/ Black Director #3/ Critics Choice Nominee #4: Judas and the Black Messiah (HBO Max)
    It gets to the messiness of a revolutionary moment. Daniel Kaluuya is exceptional as Fred Hampton, playing it with a sense of passion, purpose and regret. It does sometimes feel like a slow trudge to the inevitable conclusion.
    8/10

Movie #38: Warrior (DVD)
    One of my favorite movies of the 21st Century. It’s got a winner take all tournament, but still does a great job of establishing the characters, and balancing competing characters arcs well, with fights that seem different.
    10/10

Movie #39: The Illusionist (DVD)
    It’s a decent love story about a magician, and the high-born girl he’s in love with, combining that with the nastiness of Austrian royalty revealed in the Mayerling Incident. The payoff to the master plan is predictable, but probably what the audience wants. It’s perfectly fine, even if it’s a little weird that all these American actors are playing with British accents.
    8/10

Movie #40: Cabin in the Woods (Hulu)
    It essentially creates a shared cinematic universe for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Ringu. It’s a good horror movie that works as a critique of a genre, and the story of survivors pushed to the limit by forces beyond their control.
    9/10

Movie #41/ New Movie #27/ Critics Choice Nominee #5: Tenet (Blu-Ray)
    It’s a movie about secret organizations and time manipulations, in which there are occasionally multiple versions of the same character, so it can be difficult to follow. The mechanisms for the time-manipulations are pretty cool, and lead to some great sequences. The film seems to spend way too much time on the saga of an arms dealer’s unhappy tall wife.
    7/10

Movie #42/ New Movie #28/ Black Director #4/ Viola Davis Film #3: Widows (Amazon)
    This is a complex crime plot with many different characters with their own agendas and secrets, but McQueen makes it pretty easy to follow. It’s a well-made heist film with a great cast, and a focus on people who are usually in the background in crime movies. Viola Davis is excellent as a leader who has to be serious. Daniel Kaluuya is impressive as an especially vicious gangster who wants the money he’s owed. Elizabeth Debicki has a solid fish out of water arc. The political messaging isn’t subtle, and it is tonally all over the map.
    8/10

Movie #43/ New Movie #29: Beauty and the Beast (1979) (DVD)
    The Czech take on a familiar story (although the title translates to The Virgin and the Monster) is creepier than what we’re used to. Interesting sets (lovely is the wrong word as it showcases how decrepit things are in the beast’s lair) but sometimes a bit dull.
    7/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Default February in a rearview screen

26. Alone (2020) - ✰✰✰
    27. Freaky (2020) - ✰✰✰
    28. Sputnik (2020) - ✰✰✰
    29. Radius (2017) - ✰✰✰✰
    30. Cold Feet (2018) - ✰✰✰✰
    31. Black Beach (2020) - ✰✰✰
    32. Heroic Losers (2019) - ✰✰✰
    33. Funny People (1976) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    34. Space Sweepers (2021) - ✰✰✰✰
    35. Six-String Samurai (1998) - ✰✰✰✰
    36. The Midnight Meat Train (2008) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    37. Animals Are Beautiful People (1974) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    38. All My Friends Are Dead (2020) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    39. Love And Monsters (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    40. The Roommate (2011) - ✰✰✰✰
    41. Legacy Of Lies (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    42. Dead Silence (2007) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    43. Post Mortem (2020) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    44. Monster Hunter (2020) - ✰✰✰
    45. The Translator (2019) - ✰✰✰
    46. The Doorman (2020) - ✰✰✰
    47. Les Francis (2014) - ✰✰✰✰
    48. Triangle (2009) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    49. Martyrs (2008) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    50. Nitro Rush (2016) - ✰✰✰
    51. Sheitan (2006) - ✰✰✰✰
    52. Wasabi (2001) - ✰✰✰✰
    Last edited by Attila Kiss; 02-28-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

I’m late to this. I’ll try to remember what I’ve seen so far this year.

1. Stranger than Paradise (1984)
    2. Down by Law (1986)
    3. The Public Enemy (1931)
    4. Cat On a Hot Tin Roof (1958) rewatch
    5. Secret Ceremony (1968) rewatch
    6. Pride and Prejudice (1980)
    7. Summertime (1955) rewatch
    8. Moonstruck (1987) rewatch
    9. Libeled Lady (1936)
    10. Beau Travail (1999)
    11. The Pumpkin Eater (1964)
    12. The Criminal (1960)
    13. Figures in a Landscape (1969)
    14. Diamantino (2018)
    15. Body Heat (1981)
    16. Flesh (1968)
    17. Trash (1970)
    18. Heat (1972)
    19. Nine to Five (1980)
    20. L’Atalante (1934)

Movie #44/ New Movie #30: The Day the Earth Caught Fire (Kino Blu-Ray)
    It’s a combination of a disaster movie that gets truly apocalyptic, and a journalism drama, where the reporters are starting to figure out just how bad things are, while stealing with the realities of the job (new special editions when a big event breaks, staff meetings, fact-checking, etc.) It uses a flashback structure really well, as we get to see how things get really bad. Some sequences and events are dated, but it is quite relevant with the concerns about global warming.
    8/10

Movie #45/ New Movie #31/ Viola Davis Film #4: Beautiful Creatures (DVD)
    This fantasy flop about a doomed magical teen romance has surprisingly impressive actors (Jeremy Irons, Margo Martindale, Viola Davis, Emma Thompson) doing okay with what they’re given. Some of the things that make this world unique are promising, but it’s a dull set-up to an underwhelming final showdown.
    5/10

Movie #46: The Big Short (DVD)
    It’s an excellent showcase for Steve Carrell as a moral blowhard, and Christian Bale as an awkward genius. It also has some of the best ever film exposition, as the story of how some people saw the great recession coming shows much of what went wrong.
    10/10

Movie #47/ New Movie #32/ Viola Davis Film #5: The Help (Netflix)
    The story of an unusual civil rights episode has an excellent cast. The criticism that the movie shouldn’t have been made is ironic as a major point of the film is how the stories of people who are often ignored are still worth telling. There’s a decent contrast between what freaks out white southerners (a prank involving commodes) and the legitimate concerns of the African-American help in 1960s Mississippi. Jessica Chastain is a standout as ditz with inner torments, while Octavia Spencer conveys her pride and pain well in her star-making Oscar winning role.
    8/10

Movie #48/ New Movie #33/ Black Director #5: The 13th (Netflix)
    It’s a decent take on the history of the prison industrial complex that has some clever choices in messaging (mixing conservative voices and regretful Democrats in favor of sentencing reforms) although it does get a little conspiratorial, and is similar to a lot of other recent projects.
    8/10

Movie #49: Dracula (Blu-Ray)
    It’s not the best film adaptation of Dracula: I personally prefer Murnau and Herzog’s versions of Nosferatu, but it is pretty quick, the set designs are nice, and Bela Legosi is one of the iconic film monsters. I keep forgetting that the point of view character in the opening goes on to become the madman Renfield, which speaks to Dwight Frye’s performance.
    8/10

Movie #50: Hiroshima Mon Amour (Criterion Blu-Ray)
    It might be the best version of the two ships passing in the night romance on film, conveying both how meaningful these brief relationships can be with the awareness that it will all be forgotten. It goes into some dark places as the leads have been hurt by the events of World War 2. Emmanuelle Riva is exceptional, recalling a doomed romance that suggests she may have had more pain than the man she meets from Hiroshima. Ahead of its time in terms of storytelling, and the maturity with which it handles really serious subject matter.
    10/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Time to update my log of movies ......

9. All the Money in the World: This is a 2021 release that was available for a short time on HBO and is also in limited release to theaters.
    10. The Little Things: Starring Denzel Washington, Rami Malek and Jared Leto this is a 2021 release that was available for a short time on HBO and is also to theaters. Denzel Washington plays a former detective who let a case in the past get the better of him. Rami Malek plays his replacement on the force who is investigating a series of murders. Jared Leto plays the prime suspect. Not quite good enough to recommend except for Denzel Washington.
    11. Charlie Chan at the Opera: I always watched the old mystery series on WGN when I was a kid. My favorites were the Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes series but I did like Charlie Chan too. In this one, Boris Karloff plays the role of a suspected murderer....or is he?
    12. The Giant Gila Monster: More 1950's sci fi. This era mostly featured flying saucers or a giant menace that is usually created by some kind of exposure to radiation. This one also features teen-agers and hot rods
    13. Murder My Sweet: From 1944 this adaptation of Raymond Chandler's "Farewell My Lovely" is one of the first of the film noir genre along with Double Indemnity.
    14. Obsession (1976): Brian DePalma's homage to Vertigo with a twist with an Oscar nominated score by Bernard Hermann. I had seen this in theaters but decided to revisit this film. It's probably one of DePalma's most romantic films but the plot does sort of collapse at the end if you really think about it.
    15. Kolchak: The Night Stalker: This made for TV movie was a big hit in its day and spawned a short lived TV series. It has Darren McGavin's character doing bits of narration that reminds you of the detective films of the film noir era, only the Kolchak character is a newspaper reporter that has seen better days. The horror element is pretty tame and takes a back seat to the travails of Carl Kolchak as he tries to get his story. Still, a fun film to watch.
    16. The Monster (2020): IIRC this film didn't get a release due to the pandemic. It was just "Ok". A mother and her daughter have car trouble on a lonely road on a dark and rainy night. Then there is this growling in the woods. IMO there's not enough set up as to why this creature is there and it's just too random to me.
    17. The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939): Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce begin their long running series of movie adaptations of the Great Detective.
    18. Little Shop of Horrors (1960): This low budget cult classic directed by Roger Corman features an early film appearance by Jack Nicholson as the dentist's patient who enjoys the drilling a little too much. Roger Corman recalls that the production cost was $30,000 and is funnier that movies with ten times the production cost.
    19. Little Shop of Horrors (1986): The musical version based on Corman's film based on the 1982 stage version. Rick Moranis and Ellen Green have a goofy charm as the romantic leads.
    20. Shaun of the Undead (2004): Revisited this film this year because it has a winning balance of horror and comedy
    21. The Day the World Ended: Going back again to 1950s sci fi and another film directed by Roger Corman. Mike Connors is billed as Touch Conners in this film, would later have success as a TV star.
    22. Thor Ragnarok (2017): I decided to watch this again since I haven't seen it since it was released to theaters. It's probably the goofiest of the Marvel films yet it does have some good moments with Anthony Hopkins as Odin. In this film both Hopkins and Odin get their farewell appearance. I wonder if they hinted at Odin returning by having Sam Neill appear as a character playing Odin for Loki's entertainment. Loki actually is disguised as Odin for this scene.

Missed a few and have not watched that much. Though I went to the the movies for the first time in a year!

31. The Little Things
    32. The Last Knight
    33. Timeliness
    34. Doctor Doolittle
    35. From Hell
    36. The Limehouse Golem
    37. Night School
    38. Return of Swamp Thing 2/25 on Amazon Prime
    39. Guns Akimbo 2/25 on Amazon Prime
    40. Final Girl 2/25 on Amazon Prime
    41. Running Man 2/25 on Amazon Prime
    42. Dark City 2/26 on Vudu
    43. The Quite Man 3/17 Owned on digital
    44. Darby O'gill and the little people 3/17 on Disney +
    45. Chaos Walking 3/13 at the movies
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Default March in a rearview screen

53. Fatale (2020) - ✰✰✰
    54. Bad Trip (2021) - ✰✰✰
    55. Skylines (2020) - ✰✰✰
    56. The Vault (2021) - ✰✰✰✰
    57. The Witches (2020) - ✰✰✰
    58. The Body (2012) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    59. Dead Weight (2002) - ✰✰✰
    60. Julia's Eyes (2010) - ✰✰✰✰
    61. Get The Goat (2021) - ✰✰✰
    62. I Care A Lot (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    63. The Hitcher (1986) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    64. Hotel Belgrade (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    65. Schneider vs. Bax (2015) - ✰✰✰
    66. The Scythian Lamb (2017) - ✰✰✰
    67. Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    68. The Odd Family: Zombie For Sale (2019) - ✰✰✰✰
    69. Promising Young Woman (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    70. The Orphanage (2007) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    71. Crocodile Island (2020) - ✰✰✰
    72. Son Of A Rich (2019) - ✰✰✰✰
    73. Boss Level (2021) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    74. The Guest (2014) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    75. The Miracle (2015) - ✰✰✰✰
    76. Let Him Go (2020) - ✰✰✰✰
    77. Rocknrolla (2008) - ✰✰✰✰
    78. Paper Lives (2021) - ✰✰✰
    79. Spell (2020) - ✰✰✰✰✰
    80. Creepy (2016) - ✰✰✰
    81. Crisis (2021) - ✰✰✰
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Just brought up film no. 50 with The Prowler; a somewhat obscure, but very watchable, film noir from 1951.

A third of the way through the year, and a third of the way through my 150 films. So far, so good. Hopefully I can avoid my mad scramble at the end of the year (fingers crossed).

My movies so far:

1) The Dry (2020)
    2) Becky (2020)
    3) The Gatling Gun (1971)
    4) Angel (1983)
    5) Monster Hunter (2020)
    6) Asian School Girls (2014)
    7) Ring of Fear (1954)
    8) 1994 Baker Street: Sherlock Holmes Returns (1993)
    9) Miss Meadows (2014)
    10) Promising Young Woman (2020)
    11) Hooded Angels (2002)
    12) Stiletto (2008)
    13) A Jolly Bad Fellow (1964)
    14) Felon (2008)
    15) Serial Killing 4 Dummys (2004)
    16) The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
    17) Starred Up (2013)
    18) The Locals (2003)
    19) Black Angel Vol. 1 (1997)
    20) Death Ring (1992)
    21) Wrong Turn (2003)
    22) Sands of the Kalahari (1965)
    23) The Lookout (2007)
    24) Intruders (2015)
    25) Body (2015)
    26) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)
    27) Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
    28) Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971)
    29) Pig Hunt (2008)
    30) Copycat (1995)
    31) Art of the Dead (2019)
    32) Die, Monster, Die! (1965)
    33) The Boondock Saints (1999)
    34) Bloody Reunion (2006)
    35) Twice-Told Tales (1963)
    36) Dying Breed (2008)
    37) Exam (2009)
    38) Crank (2006)
    39) The Loved Ones (2009)