Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The Beast (The Comedian) - While once more looking human, in the absence of his friends, his people, a powerless Beat over the years became colder...darker. The remaining heroes noticed, and tried to help. It wasnt until the government approached him that he found his calling, using his expertise in genetics to keep certain parts of the population under control. Science as a weapon came easy to him. Retired now, having done what he's done, he doesnt think anything can shock him; that there are any lines left to cross.

Spider-man (Rorschach) - Peter Parker's great responsibility only increased with the loss of great power. He still hasnt stopped fighting, even in the wake of government insistence. He lives in, under, and around the city, fighting crime as best he can, w. his fists and trusty web shooters, trusting only the former Hawkeye, and him just barely, and mostly when he's hungry. While no longer having spider sense, Peter cant help but feel there's another shoe left to drop in this years long nightmare the world's been in. Something bad is coming.

Franklin Richards (Ozymandias) - A genius in his own right, Richards had the added bonus of the self sustaining Baxter Building, and the huge cache of his father's unpublished papers, experiments, and unrevealed inventions to fall back on. No substitute for lost family, though. The years have made him rich, but also convinced him the Vision is not the Country's, or the world's, answer. A divided house will not stand. Unification is key. How to achieve that may require drastic action, but, truly his father's son, Richards has done the math. The long term results will be worth the short term pain for humanity.

I could see "Watchmen" done with the Malibu characters, but of course.. well.. you know..

I liked some of the Malibu books; who would you pick as the Dr. Manhattan our of their characters???

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    Squadron Supreme.
    Thread really shoulda ended here.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Thread really shoulda ended here.
    My thoughts exactly. But then again, I can think of a few characters from Marvel's Golden Age that might work, too: Blonde Phantom as Silk Spectre; Golden Age Angel as Rorschach; etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    My thoughts exactly. But then again, I can think of a few characters from Marvel's Golden Age that might work, too: Blonde Phantom as Silk Spectre; Golden Age Angel as Rorschach; etc.
    Nice!
    Build threads are all about using your

Vision (Ozymandias) - An android trying to save humans from themselves. Unfortunately, his lack of human vulnerability and understanding misguides his viewpoint of what is good for the world.

Franklin Richards (Dr. Manhattan) - A young boy tries to cope with his godlike powers in a violent world. Many wish to abuse his power.

The Punisher (The Comedian) - A war vet coping with his own nature and severe PTSD. Gets kicks out of killing, and has a cynical viewpoint of the world due to atrocities he saw while at war.

Scott Lang (Nite Owl II) - An everyman who has the privilege of knowing the first Ant-Man, Hank Pym. He has visions of grandeur, but he's held back by his self-imposed inability to live up to Hank Pym.

Kitty Pride (Silk Spectre) - A down on her luck young woman who uses her powers for crime. Like a bad addiction, she struggles to turn away from the thrill of her heists.

Moon Knight (Rorschach) - A man with mental problems believes he is an agent for a deity of justice. Although having good intentions, his grisly brand of vigilante justice has made him a wanted man...he just isn't sure if it's the cops or his demons that are chasing him.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    Squadron Supreme.
    Yeah, pretty much. The whole of point of The Watchmen was to deconstruct the very idea of superheroes. And Marvel sorta did that with a couple versions of the Squad.

What might be interesting is a Watchmen style satire that pokes holes in the early Marvel approach to stories using new analogue characters. I want to say they starting to add Marvel parodies towards the end of the SS MAX series, but my memory is vague.

Vision (Ozymandias) - An android trying to save humans from themselves. Unfortunately, his lack of human vulnerability and understanding misguides his viewpoint of what is good for the world.

Franklin Richards (Dr. Manhattan) - A young boy tries to cope with his godlike powers in a violent world. Many wish to abuse his power.
    ^^^i like these takes on characters I used as well. Really interesting!

Moon Knight (Rorschach) - A man with mental problems believes he is an agent for a deity of justice. Although having good intentions, his grisly brand of vigilante justice has made him a wanted man...he just isn't sure if it's the cops or his demons that are chasing him.
    Brilliant choice. Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I liked some of the Malibu books; who would you pick as the Dr. Manhattan our of their characters???
    possibly Prime.. with the idea that his body/mind keeps evolving, 'shedding skin' and becoming more powerful each month or so.. Kevin Green gets freaked out at first but maybe he grudgingly comes to accept it. :-)

Watchmen took the characters of Charlton Comics that DC had just acquired (Peacemaker, Question, Nightshade, Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, etc), reimagined them, placed them in a grounded world more similar to the real one than the regular DCU, and narrated a story where the very existence of those characters cause a geopolitical crisis.

No need to imagine: Marvel already did it. Read Ultimates vol. 1 and 2, there's your "Marvel's Watchmen" in all its glory.

Extraordinary Member

When I saw this title I thought it meant like, what if Dave Gibbons drew the pictures first and then Alan Moore filled in the dialogue after.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    possibly Prime.. with the idea that his body/mind keeps evolving, 'shedding skin' and becoming more powerful each month or so.. Kevin Green gets freaked out at first but maybe he grudgingly comes to accept it. :-)
    That could work....-thumbs up-

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Watchmen took the characters of Charlton Comics that DC had just acquired (Peacemaker, Question, Nightshade, Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, etc), reimagined them, placed them in a grounded world more similar to the real one than the regular DCU, and narrated a story where the very existence of those characters cause a geopolitical crisis.

No need to imagine: Marvel already did it. Read Ultimates vol. 1 and 2, there's your "Marvel's Watchmen" in all its glory.

But it didn't really deconstruct the idea of superheroes much. The heroes were more jerky, but they were still supposed to be cool and bad ass. The thing about Ultimates is that they were meant it to be Marvel's The Authority.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Comedian - Punisher
    Dr. Manhattan - Hyperstorm (Future version of Franklin Richards)
    Nite Owl II - Winter Soldier
    Silk Spectre II - Sharon Carter
    Rorschach - US Agent
    Ozymandias - Flag Smasher
    Silk Spectre I - Peggy Carter
    Nite Owl I - Steve Rogers