Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    The XMEN can and have defeated the Avengers on several occasions. They mostly choose to avoid them though.

Frankly a lot of the "overpowered Avengers" stuff is recent retcon BS such as anti TP suits, vibranium being stronger than even adamantium and so on. It's all BS meant to give non-X characters an edge but it can be ignored for the sake of a good story.
    Quiet I don't think many of these folks realize that comic book logic and politics is largely bullshit to keep the comics going.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    As far as Emma and Xavier showing up I really hope not, I want this to be Jean's and her team's battle. Focus on the team, not guest stars. With Gambit, Trinary and Gentile to be added it will get a little crowded as it is.

In addition, I also much prefer Cassandra to be Jean's nemesis. After all she definitely has a personal axe to grind as Jean was the one that foiled her plans last time.

Not much more can be said about how great this issue was, other than the fact that it's bringing some fun debate and excitement back to the board. I can't remember the last issue that had discussions like this about the characters, their choices and their actions as opposed to just general complaints about how out of character or horrid the plot is.
    In your opinion, is Jean and her crew "Hiding and Protecting" or "Trying to Change Things" more? Because clearly those are contradictory no?

I mean if Jean's goal is to get humanity to accept and approve of allowing mutants to be at peace and unmolested, would creating a deep undersea secret HQ really be a good way to achieve that? And only going "topside" as it were when it's time to rescue one new mutant (like in Bendis' runs)?

I feel like the RED team has clear parallels to the Cyclops-led squad under Bendis, not as overtly "extreme" etc and a lot less overall controversial (Jean is a softer figure than Scott) but yeah, some similarities there.

You could argue Kitty is doing a better job of attempting what Jean's goal is, by proudly publicly demonstrating that mutants are "good" and can and will help humanity out. Even if Kitty hasn't really coherently articulated a vision the way Jean has.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

So, first this happen before or after astonishing-xmen

Twink from Young Avengers Assgardian's Avatar

I frikkin loved this! Jean isn't one of my favorites, but she's iconic and it's cool to see her in this position. I'm rooting for her! Tom is the best X-writer atm, IMO.
    WICCANFROSTPRYDEWOLVERINEICEMANHELLIONGWENHAWKEYEMSMARVEL
    "Disappointed, Ms. Frost?" "Astonished, Ms. Pryde."
    #MutantAndProud #EmmaWasRight

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

What's with the bulky armor and the head padding? I can't read this. The visuals are eye-scarring.

Well, I could've written all the problems I had with this issue, but instead, I'll simply ask this:

How was this really that much different than X-Men: Gold #1?

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Well, I could've written all the problems I had with this issue, but instead, I'll simply ask this:

How was this really that much different than X-Men: Gold #1?
    It's not. Same forced team construct (more obvious author inserts and c listers, as if that adds variety...), same boring old villains. Rinse lather repeat.

BANNED

I hope Demon Bear shows up too. My favourite Uncanny X-Force cast member.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    I hope Demon Bear shows up too. My favourite Uncanny X-Force cast member.
    Mine is Spiral.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Well then. Definitely wasn't expecting Cassandra to pop back up like this, but before the newly returned Jean Grey, she's the perfect enemy. Especially given how dirty she's played in the past in order to get what she wanted, and now with the ambassador's....well....missing head....Color me intrigued. I was hoping Namor would make a joke about seeing Little Jean and now Older Jean but maybe that'll happen some other time ^^

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I think you did a good job of showing why Jean and Kitty's ideas are compatible and complementary. But the whole debate isn't necessary; they don't NEED to be compatible. They can have drastically different ideas on how to proceed without that being an issue. They're two very different people. They both want the same thing, but want it to be achieved in different ways. It would be unrealistic to think that a group as diverse as mutant kind wouldn't have two (or three or fifteen) prominent leadership voices. I don't see it as any sort of editorial failing or lack of communication, any more than the Utopia/School era or the X Men/X Force era was. Just different groups taking different paths to the same destination.
    I went back and read Kitty's address to Congress and compared it to Jean's address to the U.N. Though similar in message, I feel Jean's speech/stance was superior. She was addressing a Global Audience. She addressed overall rights of the Mutant "species". Compared to Kitty's decidedly "local" argument against "simple" deportation. Jean was assertive in her declarations, whereas Kitty sounded a little "pleading", I guess. Jean also got her ducks in a row with recruiting Namor & Wakanda.

A more subtle difference was Kitty's insistence in that it was a human rights argument, not a mutant one. She said not to paint them as "other". Jean seems to be saying it IS a mutant rights issue and we are "other" and that needs to be dealt with. For a (admittedly flawed) analogy, Kitty is in the "color blind" camp of racism and Jean is in the "racially cognizant" camp.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

I like this way more then Gold already. Jean feels like a leader that Guggenheim wants Kitty to be. Taylor has Jean command that U.N. room with what she wants to be done and prior to that she does actual research on her idea and how to get it done. Her team is connected to her dream and that makes me feel more involved. I really hope we can get Storm in this book, but I still look forward to the next issue whether that happens or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Actually, yes, I do think she’s trying to redefine it and use the word differently. Or Maybe more loosely as others have suggested. That’s why it’s so bold.

Establishment doesn’t like changes in status quo and this isn’t an exception.

All this discussion is over the word she used. Which admittedly could be a bad choice. But if we look at the rest of her message it wasn’t so “we wanna be a nation” in a traditional sense. Her message shouldn’t be summarized with a word she may or may not have meant literally.
    Then it's a pointless message to go to the UN and just make demands that are figurative. Which by the UK ambassadors comments are not what Jean was getting at or Tyler for that matter because then there would be no need for that conversation or even a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Not all Nobel Prize winners are privileged and it is somewhat offensive to think that. Some of them came from humble beginnings and don't just magically become elitists just because they won.
    They were scumbags to win in the first place. At least the ones a live. Henry Kissinger has one. Barack Obama and his multiple wars got one,Ellie Weisel and his pro genocidal thoughts, aang sang su ki, fw de klerk hell even economically Nelson Mandela gave into multinationals and corporatism when they negotiated and prevented Zas resources from becoming publicy owned. That was a very distinct change in policy

It's laughable to think the award has any meaning. It's merely a tool to distract and shape the narrative. Kissinger and the words peace should not even be in the same sentence
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 02-08-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by StephenFoxMonster View Post
    I like this way more then Gold already. Jean feels like a leader that Guggenheim wants Kitty to be. Taylor has Jean command that U.N. room with what she wants to be done and prior to that she does actual research on her idea and how to get it done. Her team is connected to her dream and that makes me feel more involved. I really hope we can get Storm in this book, but I still look forward to the next issue whether that happens or not.
    I'm a bit ambivalent to the cast. I like that it's not the "tried and true". But I feel like another classic female is missing that would round out the cast nicely. Storm would be perfect. But when would she find the time sleep if she wasn't on Gold...

Amazing Member

Israel exists because this plan doesn't work. Even nowadays, and in more-or-less-democratic countries in the EU, Jewish people are migrating to Israel because governments don't protect them from anti-semithic attacks (just ask the French Jewish). These people prefer to go to Israel, where the f*ckers of Hizbollah are firing missiles over their heads every odd day, before staying in their born countries.

I don’t like politics in my comics. However, I like history, and many times I have seen mutants as a metaphor for Jewish people. Not only for them, of course, but I think they were part of the inspiration. Utopia, then, could be seen as a metaphor for Israel. I don’t want to offend anyone, but sometimes I suspect that the reason Marvel didn’t allow Utopia to be successful was because some of the more fanatic PC and SJW people hate Israel, and Marvel is now full of them. Extreme right and extreme left have common opinions in many subjects, and sadly anti-semithism (however you want to disguise it) is one of them.

Of course, these are only my opinions. Everyone have a good day!