Page 46 of 103 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Sam Lane is still a cast member, isn't he? I kind of like this Anderson guy. It's understandable that he wants more from Superman. But using the "S" shield like that? That's pretty low.

Lois is full on mom mode with both her boys. She's the tough parent, although I think Clark's lecture about sex and respect was reasonable.

I like Kyle a bit more this episode than I did last season. As for Sarah, let's not forget she struggles with depression, so that may be why she is being standoffish with Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Naw. Genetically, they'll still be related. That would be a bad move on the writer's part and completely turn me off on the show.
    It's tame compared to what Marvel did on one of their shows last year. I would prefer to see Natalie strike up a sisterly bond with Jonathan and Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    It's tame compared to what Marvel did on one of their shows last year. I would prefer to see Natalie strike up a sisterly bond with Jonathan and Jordan.
    Yeah, I thought about Loki but those aren't comparable situations. The point in his show is that he's just that much of a narcissist and it's supposed to be creepy/unsettling. Not the same type of romance this show would be going for.

I rather Natalie becomes the third leg of a love triangle with Jordan and Sara than one of the twins falling for her. It's the lesser of two evils in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I rather Natalie becomes the third leg of a love triangle with Jordan and Sara than one of the twins falling for her. It's the lesser of two evils in this case.
    When John mentioned the girls Natalie knew I was expecting one of them to be her girlfriend (in a romantic sense), because I assume that's the same with her as with Natasha Irons.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Sara ain't gonna triangle anything. Either she got some summer camp peen or she is getting into her bad boy phase started (again, at summer camp) and she is gonna drop Jordan like a ton of bricks. I'd lay money on that.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Sam Lane is still a cast member, isn't he? I kind of like this Anderson guy. It's understandable that he wants more from Superman. But using the "S" shield like that? That's pretty low.

Lois is full on mom mode with both her boys. She's the tough parent, although I think Clark's lecture about sex and respect was reasonable.

I like Kyle a bit more this episode than I did last season. As for Sarah, let's not forget she struggles with depression, so that may be why she is being standoffish with Jordan.

Loki fell in love with a variant of himself. Is that incest, or masturbation?

When the General (wish they would call him General and not Lieutenant) said he was using the S-shield because it's a recognized symbol, all I could think of was 'Say, did Cat Grant copyright that when she named Supergirl? Could Clark call up Kara and get Cat to send a cease and desist to the DOD?'

I think (hope) the military's use of the S shield is what leads Steel to using it as a legit ally of Superman (and also hopefully a cape)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think (hope) the military's use of the S shield is what leads Steel to using it as a legit ally of Superman (and also hopefully a cape)
    I think of anyone John Henry would definitely be someone Clark approves of using the S-Crest.

Belated thoughts on #SupermanAndLois s2e1 "What Lies Beneath". Spoilers to follow ...

1. Back to the small-screen world of middle-aged Lois and Clark, i.e. Superman Year 21 (this Superman's public career is now 2old enough to drink in the States)!

Dang, did I miss this show!

2. I'm glad that first we pick up right where we left off and see the super-awkward first meeting of Lois and her alt-universe daughter Nat Irons ... and then we jump 3 months into the future.

Best of both worlds as far as table-resetting: we get our immediate question about last season answered (Lois froze out of shock), and we get some distance for other things to have developed.

3. Clark and Lois not actually being the perfect couple is perfect for this show. Couples argue all the time, sometimes about big things, sometimes about dumb things. Although ... I don't think we've yet seen Clark have an emotional outburst on this show like Lois frequently has.

Of course, he's also Superman, so that kind of anger would look a LOT different coming from him.

4. Clark in the truck trying to cheer up Jon (about his lack of practice time in ��) to no avail, only to have Jon's new girlfriend say the exact same thing to immediately calm him down, leads to a really funny and silently exasperated reaction from Clark.

5. The sub rescue scene was awesome.. That looked and felt big-budget cinematic (something no other CW show is capable of). And the fact that it was a NORTH Korean sub showed that this show gets it: Superman saves people, ALL people in need of help. Been doing that for about 84 years now.

6. The confrontation with the DOD's Mitch Anderson was necessary. The execution was great. The military wanted him to give the damaged North Korean sub over to them instead of back on North Korean shores.

Superman refuses to give his allegiance to America because he gave it to the world a long time ago.

Put that sentence in bold up front for anyone who wants to write Superman in the future in any medium. No government stooge here.

7. Lois' conflict with Nat reveals that in this universe, Lois' mom just up and suddenly abandoned her, her sister Lucy, and her dad Sam a long time ago.

Lois's mom in the comix is a complete non-factor (I think her name is Ella?) in her life compared to her dad. Most of the stories she's been dead for decades.

We're definitely meeting Mama Lane sooner rather than later on this show, IMO.

8. Overeager try-hard Jordan is clearly headed for dumpsville with Sarah. And that's OK, they don't strike me as each other's OTL anyway. Sarah definitely met someone else while at camp.

Also, Papa Kyle giving Sarah good advice? If Kyle was going turn out to be a good guy all along, then why didn't the show just go to the comix and name him Pete Ross (whom Lana did marry on the pages) in the first place?

9. The shenanigans involving the teens getting talked to by both Lois and Clark made me chuckle. Clark protesting to Lois that he never snuck around when he was little, leading to Lois yelling that then Jon must be taking after his mother (Lois totally snuck around in high school).

Also, Jordan happily mouthing the word "Mom" to Jon when Clark was admitting to them that he was older when he had his first time was hilarious.

10. The psychic attacks / visions Clark is getting are nothing but foreshadowing. I don't think he's losing his powers so far, and first guess would be Brainiac (if so, please just port over the actor and SFX costuming from SyFy's late and underrated Krypton show), but there are other less famous, more deep-cut possibilities out there **coughultrahumanitecough**

11. The two superhuman soldiers wearing the appropriated S-shield are from the government "school" mentioned in Season 1 where Jordan's affected classmate Tag was sent. Can't imagine these two won't be trading haymakers with Clark this season.

12. Love the Irons moving in with the Kents. Really want to see how Nat interacts with her new (half) brothers, her (alt) mom, her dad, and this universe's doppelganger of her world's destroyer (Clark).

13. Alright, that stinger: the whole underground punching sequence was lifted straight from the comix. And there seems to be no question who it is in that containment suit: Doomsday.

If you made a list of the best Superman villains, Doomsday wouldn't even crack the Top 15. But he's easily in the Top 3 in terms of pop culture exposure (behind only Luthor and Zod).

I dislike Doomsday. He's not a worthy character: too often just a mindless Hulk with Wolverine's claws who never stays dead. And he's a one-trick pony. His one trick is that he kills Superman. He has no other story.

And we've already seen so many adaptations of Doomsday trying to kill Superman, in the comics, in animation, in live-action, it's been done to death. Really hoping this guy isn't the season's real big bad.

Bottom line: Second seasons often serve as the bellwether for how a show's entire run will go in terms of quality. They could be foreshadow greatness or horribleness. I'm really hoping for the former. And this cast and crew makes me more confident that they'll get it right.

Can't wait for the next episode!

Grade: 8.5/10.

Well, hard to say more than what's already been said. But man do I love this show. This is the kind of Superman I've wanted. Even in his arguments, he's still Clark. Which led to some pretty funny moments. For a CW show, this is good.

As for Doomsday; there are SO many questions to how he got buried that deep in the ground on Earth. And with the School people turned into would-be Supermen, yeah.

Astonishing Member

Superman can be pro American but not used for foreign policy objectives. If a US Coast Guard ship saved a bunch of sailors from a NK vessel would it be proper to deliver them to the CIA? I don't think so. When you save lives, you just save lives.

Did Clark sleep with anyone before Lois in this show? Lana?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Superman can be pro American but not used for foreign policy objectives. If a US Coast Guard ship saved a bunch of sailors from a NK vessel would it be proper to deliver them to the CIA? I don't think so. When you save lives, you just save lives.

Well....

If you go by The Hunt for Red October (specifically the book, which went into greater detail than the movie), when a US Warship picked up the Russian crew of the Red October, they didn't sail them directly back to Moscow. They were all brought to the United States and put up in barracks while the US Government arranged their repatriation to Russia. And if any ship was to rescue the crew of a North Korean sub, it would be a warship and not the US Coast Guard. So it's actually not unreasonable for the DOD to expect Superman- who is closely affiliated with the US- to put that sub down in an area controlled by the US. Their problem is not recognizing that Superman saves everybody REGARDLESS of nationality or political affiliation, and that he actively tries to not pick a side.

Exactly. Superman can't be "Pro U.S.," as in serving American interests first, and still service the world without bias. That was the entire point of that exchange.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post

Did Clark sleep with anyone before Lois in this show? Lana?
    Yes, Superman saves live regardless from which side of the line they fall. Him not returning the sub behind the American line not only shows his impartiality but also his stance on not being controlled by any government and its own individual self interest. The sub being NK is a sore point but he can't honestly choose sides.

On this show, Lois seems to be his first and only. I think 1x11 kind of implied that when he told her why he'd kept his secret from others until her. This episode just confirmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Yes, Superman saves live regardless from which side of the line they fall. Him not returning the sub behind the American line not only shows his impartiality but also his stance on not being controlled by any government and its own individual self interest. The sub being NK is a sore point but he can't honestly choose sides.

On this show, Lois seems to be his first and only. I think 1x11 kind of implied that when he told her why he'd kept his secret from others until her. This episode just confirmed it.
    He was definitely interested in Lana, but he missed his chance when she got together with Kyle (and I don't think they ever actually established that they used to date).