Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'm not going to reiterate my complaints from the other thread but I will say instead of whining about being asked if he had any plans to deal with Bruce he should have just said his plan was to treat him the way he does most villains. Short, to the point, and perfectly communicates to the reader that Clark isn't one to play games with.

Edit: He should have said "I'd punch you in the face" touch a humor from Supes would have helped that scene in my eyes
    Last edited by The World; 08-29-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Not gay enough.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Dude, as i said its been done to death. Justice league story is pretty much irrelevant. Superman and batman didn't meet wonder woman like in the new52. Snyder doesn't seem to reference new52 runs at all. Heck! At this point he has referenced more from past continuities than anything from new52. Manhunter is back and was a league member, always. What conflict is there left for clark with billy being captain marvel ? Clark is gone past "the kids are not supposed to be superheroes" albeit reluctantly and resisting it with jon.Sure, he may still not like the idea. But, he is stuck with it and has to deal with it. Not true! Some parts of that continuity is still part of current one.clark had worn new52 armour and had adventures in it.
    Regarding conflicts, well every version of superman "fights a never ending battle for truth, justice and the american way". That is will always be there. And as for love, how is smww thing going to work when clark is married and has a kid?

This is a story about the relationship between Shazam, Superman and Batman. Even if there have been many historical troubles and conflicts with other heroes, there is no point.

And with New 52, the world has rebooted, so it has to draw the "first time" story again. (As you know, even if Rebirth is done, the continuity of the world remains New 52.) New readers don't "always" read old works like you. New readers are not so tired of experiencing the “first story”. In addition, there is no obligation to reread old works, and it is difficult to find “first time” every time. We don't have to deal with the arrogance of “find it”. (But of course, some of the works incorporate past events into New 52, ​​so new reader may have to read past events.) So even historically “done to death” is meaningless. And if a new writer writes a new “first” story, it should be different. It is meaningful to draw “first time”.
    Last edited by robotgarden; 08-30-2019 at 04:31 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robotgarden View Post
    This is a story about the relationship between Shazam, Superman and Batman. There is no point in pointing out troubles and conflicts with other heroes.

And with New 52, the world has rebooted, so it has to draw the "first time" story again. (As you know, even if Rebirth is done, the continuity of the world remains New 52.) New readers don't read old works like you. New readers are not so tired of experiencing the “first story”. There is no obligation to reread old works, and it is difficult to find them. So even historically “done to death” is meaningless. And if a new writer writes a new “first” story, it should be different. It is meaningful to draw “first time”.
    Dude, i am pretty much a "new reader". I started with new52. . Don't speak for others. if you don't like reading older stuff, That is your choice. I have read atleast Three different versions of meetings already. Not to mention the animated stuff.i am tired of it. Not mention that this book is monotonous as it is.
    I was only mentioning other characters to show that post reborn these things were established. So, basically the jl first meeting in new52 is pretty much not a thing anymore.
    Do you read doomsday clock? New52 universe is the old universe. The only difference is certain things from it was taken or altered from it by dr manhattan. The minute the original wally west came back and started running around. Things from the old timeline started getting reinserted. Superman is basically the linchpin of the whole universe being in flux thing. This has happened before due to other previous crisis events like the crisis on infinite earths.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Dude, i am pretty much a "new reader". I started with new52. . Don't speak for others. if you don't like reading older stuff, That is your choice. I have read atleast Three different versions of meetings already. Not to mention the animated stuff.i am tired of it. Not mention that this book is monotonous as it is.
    I was only mentioning other characters to show that post reborn these things were established. So, basically the jl first meeting in new52 is pretty much not a thing anymore.
    Do you read doomsday clock? New52 universe is the old universe. The only difference is certain things from it was taken or altered from it by dr manhattan. The minute the original wally west came back and started running around. Things from the old timeline started getting reinserted. Superman is basically the linchpin of the whole universe being in flux thing. This has happened before due to other previous crisis events like the crisis on infinite earths.

If you are a new reader, you will understand the meaninglessness of “it was drawn in the past”.

Of course I read Doomsday Clock. I don't know if the continuity of New 52 is old, because this work is not finished yet. Anyway, new readers will sometimes have to read past stories. I read the past stories because I needed to read them. However, it has nothing to do with the “first story”. Again, it is difficult to read past stories for the "first time". And if a new writer draws it will be a new story.
    Last edited by robotgarden; 08-30-2019 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robotgarden View Post
    If you are a new reader, you will understand the meaninglessness of “it was drawn in the past”.

Of course I read Doomsday Clock. I don't know if the continuity of New 52 is old, because this work is not finished yet. Anyway, new readers will sometimes have to read past stories. I read the past stories because I needed to read them. However, it has nothing to do with the “first story”. Again, it is difficult to read past stories for the "first time". And if a new writer draws it will be a new story.
    So, you want a flashback. Huh! That might be good,i guess.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I have to admit that I have grown a bit sick of the whole Batman Who Laughs plotline, but I can't deny that this was a beautifully drawn and nicely written first issue. I will definitely be back for the next issue.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    Not gay enough.
    Dammit. Now, you've made be snort my water through my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Dammit. Now, you've made be snort my water through my nose.
    Well, his avatar name is superbat. Ofcourse, he would expect something juicy. Then again that would have been very, very interesting. it would have also blown up the Internet.

While I'm not all that sick of The Batman Who Laughs, maybe because I don't take him all that seriously. I read it as a parody of the grimdark "Batman can beat anyone with prep" take on BatGod, so I'm not really convinced even Snyder wants us to take him all that seriously, despite DC's best efforts. I do find it all kinds of ridiculous that in story he is called "The Batman Who Laughs" by Batman & Superman. It's just so goofy.

"Who are you?"

"I'm THE Batman.. who laughs. And these are my minions, THe SHAZAM who laughs, the Hawkman who laughs, the Donny Troy who laughs...."

I’m with everyone else who felt it was dumb to give away the twist ending in the preview. It’s already a Batman/Superman comic with an amazing artist. It was gonna sell just fine. I would have been enjoyably shocked had I not known that ending was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I'm not going to reiterate my complaints from the other thread but I will say instead of whining about being asked if he had any plans to deal with Bruce he should have just said his plan was to treat him the way he does most villains. Short, to the point, and perfectly communicates to the reader that Clark isn't one to play games with.

Edit: He should have said "I'd punch you in the face" touch a humor from Supes would have helped that scene in my eyes
    Yeah I really don’t like when Superman is written like an overly optimistic hayseed. He can be the symbol of hope and still admit he has thought about what he would do if Batman became a villain. I know they were trying to show the dichotomy between the two but don’t make Superman optimistic to a fault.

“I’d probably just punch you in the face.” Would have been hilarious. It would have fit perfectly with Superman’s sense of humor.

Astonishing Member

Glad I'm not the only one disappointed in wasting the reveal of the Shazam Who Laughs. I was genuinely surprised the issue ended there since we essentially SAW these pages for so long before the issue dropped. I expected it to be an earlier reveal with how it was given away.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    Not gay enough.
    Gotta save that for the issue 69 special
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m with everyone else who felt it was dumb to give away the twist ending in the preview. It’s already a Batman/Superman comic with an amazing artist. It was gonna sell just fine. I would have been enjoyably shocked had I not known that ending was coming.

Yeah I really don’t like when Superman is written like an overly optimistic hayseed. He can be the symbol of hope and still admit he has thought about what he would do if Batman became a villain. I know they were trying to show the dichotomy between the two but don’t make Superman optimistic to a fault.

“I’d probably just punch you in the face.” Would have been hilarious. It would have fit perfectly with Superman’s sense of humor.
    Lmao I love your answer for what Superman would say and that fits perfectly with the Loeb tone this is going for.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post

Totally agreed.

One of things that really pisses me off about DC is that they so often ignore/forget/don't even know that Superman isn't just some super nice boy scout. Dude is legit hardcore; so hardcore he feels no need whatsoever to broadcast the fact or act like an alpha male d-bag. He's a nice person, yes of course, but he's also someone who has stared into the abyss and winked at it. He's someone who has stared into the void that the abyss is afraid to stare into, and punched it in the face. You don't square off against the crap Superman squares off against without having grit. Clark has got balls of steel the size of moons.

And what I really, truly despise about Bat-Super team ups is that this "super nice guy" trait gets amped up to contrast with Batman's crap-ass attitude.

Superman once sent millions of people into the Phantom Zone because one of his "in case of emergency break glass" plans went wrong. And he's been shown to have several plans for extinction level events, and ways to save humanity. If anyone actually thinks he's never considered Bruce going bad and planned accordingly, they really fail to understand who Clark is. I mean, jesus, Bruce has been responsible for some seriously shady sh*t; if any hero on earth is a threat, if anyone could break and go crazy.....it's Batman.

Of course, unlike Bruce, Clark is smart enough to not tell anyone if he's got plans to stop them.....so I'm just gonna pretend that Clark has thought about it, and refuses to admit it because that would defeat the purpose of having secret "this is how I'll stop you if you go evil" plans.

Anyway, read the issue today. It reads like old Loeb era S/B, and despite Clark coming off as naive, I thought it was solid. The previews spoiled way too much but it was a solid, enjoyable issue and I'm adding this book to my pull list.

And that art.....this guy is one of my favorite artists and I never thought I'd get to see him at DC. So this issue is a win for that alone.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Totally agreed.

One of things that really pisses me off about DC is that they so often ignore/forget/don't even know that Superman isn't just some super nice boy scout. Dude is legit hardcore; so hardcore he feels no need whatsoever to broadcast the fact or act like an alpha male d-bag. He's a nice person, yes of course, but he's also someone who has stared into the abyss and winked at it. He's someone who has stared into the void that the abyss is afraid to stare into, and punched it in the face. You don't square off against the crap Superman squares off against without having grit. Clark has got balls of steel the size of moons.

And what I really, truly despise about Bat-Super team ups is that this "super nice guy" trait gets amped up to contrast with Batman's crap-ass attitude.

Superman once sent millions of people into the Phantom Zone because one of his "in case of emergency break glass" plans went wrong. And he's been shown to have several plans for extinction level events, and ways to save humanity. If anyone actually thinks he's never considered Bruce going bad and planned accordingly, they really fail to understand who Clark is. I mean, jesus, Bruce has been responsible for some seriously shady sh*t; if any hero on earth is a threat, if anyone could break and go crazy.....it's Batman.

Of course, unlike Bruce, Clark is smart enough to not tell anyone if he's got plans to stop them.....so I'm just gonna pretend that Clark has thought about it, and refuses to admit it because that would defeat the purpose of having secret "this is how I'll stop you if you go evil" plans.

Anyway, read the issue today. It reads like old Loeb era S/B, and despite Clark coming off as naive, I thought it was solid. The previews spoiled way too much but it was a solid, enjoyable issue and I'm adding this book to my pull list.

And that art.....this guy is one of my favorite artists and I never thought I'd get to see him at DC. So this issue is a win for that alone.
    Lmao I just finished rereading For Tomorrow and was thinking about making a thread about it. I think we could have an interesting discussion about it. Because it’s an interesting contrast to the typical flanderized pop culture view that the characterization of Clark is “oh golly shucks I just don’t think about the bad stuff!”