Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Again, she does. People have listed The Hiketeia, and the Perez and Rucka runs.
    And don't forget Legend of Wonder Woman!

This thread makes me wonder if All Star Wonder Woman was released, we'd get on a more agreed "definite" version of Diana.

'Cause honestly, I'll admit that while I like the character, I don't know much about her (Which kinda irritates me since I know plenty of Batman, and I don't care much about him), and Diana not having a simple, short story to "define" her makes it harder to understand what kind of character she's supposed to be.

So, Perez's run, Rucka's run, Legend of Wonder Woman, Gods and Monsters, Hiketeia, Challenge of the Gods, Eyes of the Gorgon, League of One, The Circle, Gods and Mortals, Paradise Lost, A day in the life, Paradise Lost, those are the names mentioned in this thread, are those pretty much it (Not saying it's a small ammount) or is there anything else?

Now I'm also wondering, what kind of story defines her top villains? Like one of the many Cheetahs, or Hades, or, someone else I'm probably forgetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Now I'm also wondering, what kind of story defines her top villains? Like one of the many Cheetahs, or Hades, or, someone else I'm probably forgetting.
    For Circe "War of the Gods" and "The Witch and the Warrior". For Ares "Gods and Mortals". For Cheetah (Barbara Minerva) her appearances in Perez' run and Rucka's second run. For villanous team-ups "Villainy Incorporated", "The Land of the Lost" and "Who is Wonder Woman?"

Not sure where you got the idea that Hades is one of Diana's top villains, he's a very minor character in her comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    For Circe "War of the Gods" and "The Witch and the Warrior". For Ares "Gods and Mortals". For Cheetah (Barbara Minerva) her appearances in Perez' run and Rucka's second run. For villanous team-ups "Villainy Incorporated", "The Land of the Lost" and "Who is Wonder Woman?"

Not sure where you got the idea that Hades is one of Diana's top villains, he's a very minor character in her comic.
    The DCAU I’m guessing, Hades was her father in that I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No, wasn't her father I'm pretty sure they went with the clay birth in that series - but I think he did allegedly have a fling with Hippolyta once? Of course I could be mistaken, it was years since I last saw those episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    That's great, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Actualy, I meant Ares, sorry, I always mix up their names for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No, wasn't her father I'm pretty sure they went with the clay birth in that series - but I think he did allegedly have a fling with Hippolyta once? Of course I could be mistaken, it was years since I last saw those episodes.
    In the episode that Felix guy (Think that's his name?) is within that Annihilator armor, Hades says that him and Hyppolita made Diana together, so technicaly he's her father.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Not an indictment, but still not a good thing for Wonder Woman. Almost 78 years going strong now, and no single magnum opus? Hell, Spider-Man fans have "Kraven's Last Hunt", and that was like 30 years ago.
    I do obviously think there are good Wonder Woman stories (see my lists in the signature below), but outside the Wonder Woman fandom, there aren't really any Wonder Woman runs that received high appraise from the wider comic book community. The soul exception being Azzarello's Wonder Woman run, which received tons of acclaim from the wider comic book community.

We also have had a graphic novel that is essentially All-Star Wonder Woman called Wonder Woman Earth 1 by Grant Morrison and, even a lot of Morrison fans don't like it.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I do obviously think there are good Wonder Woman stories (see my lists in the signature below), but outside the Wonder Woman fandom, there aren't really any Wonder Woman runs that received high appraise from the wider comic book community. The soul exception being Azzarello's Wonder Woman run, which received tons of acclaim from the wider comic book community.

We also have had a graphic novel that is essentially All-Star Wonder Woman called Wonder Woman Earth 1 by Grant Morrison and, even a lot of Morrison fans don't like it.
    Rucka and Perez's runs received a lot of praise from the wider comics community. Rucka's WW work even got him an Eisner nomination for Best Writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    In the episode that Felix guy (Think that's his name?) is within that Annihilator armor, Hades says that him and Hyppolita made Diana together, so technicaly he's her father.
    Ah. Like I said, it has been years since I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Rucka and Perez's runs received a lot of praise from the wider comics community. Rucka's WW work even got him an Eisner nomination for Best Writer.
    I didn't know that, but I was thinking in how these stories are viewed today by the wider comic book fandom. Is Hiketiea considered a must read graphic novel? Not really. This is the same for nearly every Wonder Woman story. A lot of Wonder Woman material is insular, it appeals to Wonder Woman fans primarily. Perez's Wonder Woman work is a lot like this as it seems to be forgotten amid the throng of late 80's masterpieces. Its obviously important to Wonder Woman fans, but it never gets the same attention as Moore, Morrison, Miller and Byrne's titles. This doesn't mean Wonder Woman stories are bad they just don't get recognized.

After going through some Wonder Woman lists the general consensus though is that the Golden Age Wonder Woman, Perez's run, Azzarello's run and Rucka's most recent run were the most consistent choices. I got to say though, I don't get the appeal of The Legend of Wonder Woman though, it is honestly very basic and its one of the few comic book runs I know of with pacing issues.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 09-21-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I didn't know that, but I was thinking in how these stories are viewed today by the wider comic book fandom. Is Hiketiea considered a must read graphic novel? Not really. This is the same for nearly every Wonder Woman story. A lot of Wonder Woman material is insular, it appeals to Wonder Woman fans primarily. Perez's Wonder Woman work is a lot like this as it seems to be forgotten amid the throng of late 80's masterpieces. Its obviously important to Wonder Woman fans, but it never gets the same attention as Moore, Morrison, Miller and Byrne's titles. This doesn't mean Wonder Woman stories are bad they just don't get recognized.

After going through some Wonder Woman lists the general consensus though is that the Golden Age Wonder Woman, Perez's run, Azzarello's run and Rucka's most recent run were the most consistent choices. I got to say though, I don't get the appeal of The Legend of Wonder Woman though, it is honestly very basic and its one of the few comic book runs I know of with pacing issues.
    One of these things is not like the others
    I agree with the other three, but I think Perez's run is as well regarded as some of Byrne's work that isn't X-Men (which, IMO, is the only good thing he's done), which had Claremont and is on a whole other level. She really does need a definitive run or even a stand alone graphic novel/mini series of the caliber of work those creators can put out at their best. Unfortunately, none of the "Three M's" are completely well suited towards Wonder Woman to varying degrees. Gaiman is an author of comparable talent that could probably crush it though.

But yes, I agree that the definitive runs for Wonder Woman are probably Marston, Perez, both of Rucka's and (love it or hate it) Azzarello. Maybe Jimenez as well.

I got to say though, I don't get the appeal of The Legend of Wonder Woman though, it is honestly very basic and its one of the few comic book runs I know of with pacing issues.
    Really? I love it, and didn't feel any pacing issues.
    I like the art, the characterization, the general tone, the time period, the use of characters and supporting cast. It just feels fun, uplifting, and yeah kind of legendary. It's my favorite of the WW origin stories by a lot.
    By contrast I kind of found the in continuity Year One kind of dull...

Grant Morrison's Earth One trilogy is shaping up to be awesome

I suspect the previously announced Black Label title: Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Phil Jiminez has the potential to become a masterpiece (if it hasn't been cancelled, that is)

Some quick copy and paste for bona fides:

All-Star Superman won the Eisner Award for "Best New Series" in 2006,[23] as well as "Best Continuing Series" in 2007 and 2009. It also won the Harvey Awards for "Best Artist" and "Best Single Issue" in 2008. In 2006 it won the Eagle Award for "Favourite New Comic book" and "Favourite Comics Cover" (for the first issue), as well as the 2007 "Favourite Colour Comicbook - American" Eagle.

The Dark Knight Returns is today widely considered one of the greatest works in the comics medium. IGN Comics ranked The Dark Knight Returns first on a list of the 25 greatest Batman graphic novels and called The Dark Knight Returns "a true masterpiece of storytelling" with "[s]cene after unforgettable scene." In 2005, Time chose the collected edition as one of the 10 best English language graphic novels ever written. Forbidden Planet placed the collected issue at number one on its "50 Best of the Best Graphic Novels" list. Writer Matthew K. Manning in the "1980s" chapter of DC Comics Year By Year A Visual Chronicle (2010) called the series "arguably the best Batman story of all time." It was placed second in a poll among comic book academics conducted by the Sequart Organization.

I don't think Wonder Woman has a story yet published about her that has anywhere close to the widespread acclaim or influence of either ASS or DKR.

But that can change. Hence this thread.

FWIW, I've noticed, more and more that the creative credits often say "artist" not "penciller" or separately "inker" in a lot of comics these days.

Does that mean that many pencillers do their own inking as well?

Are there many high-end professionals at DC who are known primarily for their inking instead of their penciling still? Any such female professionals at DC?

Because while I still want Joelle Jones writing and penciling my hypothetical WWMODS, I think adding inking duties is A LOT to ask from one person. I'd like a second artist in there, especially to give it a different look rather than just replicating Jones' CATWOMAN style.